Biden's America

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I roll my eyes at stories like this too.  There are companies all over the place begging for employees in better jobs than cashier at Hy-vee.  And...a college graduate can't find one?

Crete Carriers and Walmart both have ads. on the radio offering $2,000.00+ a week driving a truck.  I'm probably just out of the loop, but I highly doubt those working in retail are making this amount.  At some point in time, we have to admit that we've been fed a line of crap with regards to the importance of a college degree.  Many economists have already predicted that this recession will primarily affect white collar workers because there is and will continue to be a shortage of blue collar workers.  Locally, a plumber; electrician; welder; etc. can pretty much name their price.  After I graduated UNL, I was in the finance industry for a couple of years.  It didn't take long to figure out I could make a lot more money with a blue collar job in the transportation industry. 

If I had a dollar for every time in the last two years I heard someone say people just don't want to work anymore, I could probably retire.  My comment each and every time has been, who do you know that doesn't have a job?  Here, it is not difficult at all to get a job.  It has gotten so difficult to hire medical workers that local hospitals will pay all student loans of new workers if they sign a five year contract.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm really interested in your information to refute his post.  @mrandyk said that the school he went to cost $466 per credit hour.  UNL is at $259 and they are more expensive than other state schools in Nebraska.  

I just had three kids graduate out of the UNL and state school systems in Nebraska.  None of them had major debt coming out of undergrad.  All of them had jobs to help pay for school.  All of them lived in places that weren't as expensive as they could have had, with roommates.  Even if you take what we helped them with, their debt wouldn't be as much as what I hear claimed by other people.

He won’t provide you with anything to refute my post.   I laid out the cost which came directly from USD website, laid out how much someone can make working 20 hrs a week for 40 weeks, making $15 an hour which is quite easy to get now.  I also provided the link to all the scholarship info, so basically if you half way pay attention in HS, your grades will qualify you for assistance.  If people say, well ya that doesn’t take room and board into consideration, I laid that out too.    People are gonna pay for room and board when not living at home whether they go to school or not.  It’s also an option to live at home and take online classes to eliminate that argument too.     

The poster just wanted to post snark for some reason.  

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

It has been stated that college shouldn't be a gamble.  I realize there are kids who graduate high school and really don't know what they want to do.  This is fine, and there's no shame in that.  However, there are other options than just borrowing a buttload of money for a degree that may or may not be useful in the future.  I read a month or so ago how the military is paying as much as $50,000.00 or more in signing bonuses as recruitment has really fallen off a cliff since covid.  I would assume there is still the GI Bill where schooling is paid for once the military term is up. 

This student loan forgiveness program is a swift kick to the groin to anyone that found other means to pay for college instead of loans and to those who worked really hard after graduation to get those loans paid off.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He won’t provide you with anything to refute my post.   I laid out the cost which came directly from USD website, laid out how much someone can make working 20 hrs a week for 40 weeks, making $15 an hour which is quite easy to get now.  I also provided the link to all the scholarship info, so basically if you half way pay attention in HS, your grades will qualify you for assistance.  If people say, well ya that doesn’t take room and board into consideration, I laid that out too.    People are gonna pay for room and board when not living at home whether they go to school or not.  It’s also an option to live at home and take online classes to eliminate that argument too.     

The poster just wanted to post snark for some reason.  

Ha. I've just come to realize its not worth wasting my time responding. I look up facts and figures, you ignore them and spout "talking points" that do nothing to refute the facts and figures I share. I provide real world examples, you ignore the entire post except one word and build a completely new argument around one word and think you have a leg to stand on. - Again, your comments are not grounded in reality. If you want to know the truth, get on campus and talk to students, talk to 30 year old nurses, cops, and teachers that are on the verge of bankruptcy. - You won't cuz it's not your safe bubble. 

Take care. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

12 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ha. I've just come to realize its not worth wasting my time responding. I look up facts and figures, you ignore them and spout "talking points" that do nothing to refute the facts and figures I share. I provide real world examples, you ignore the entire post except one word and build a completely new argument around one word and think you have a leg to stand on. - Again, your comments are not grounded in reality. If you want to know the truth, get on campus and talk to students, talk to 30 year old nurses, cops, and teachers that are on the verge of bankruptcy. - You won't cuz it's not your safe bubble. 

Take care. 

good try on the bolded.  

Ummm, I have a recent college grad as a daughter who was involved in a sorority and came to know many many people on that campus.   I currently have a son attending same school in a frat and have come to know many of those kids and parents also.   

I’ve had four kids go through public education and personally know each of their teachers and coaches.  I know a few cops, not many but a few, and the ones I know are pissed about the debt plan.   I work with nurses EVERY SINGLE DAY.   

Still waiting for those facts and figures in response to actual facts and figures I posted.  Can’t wait to see them.  @BigRedBuster asked too.  

• Plus1 1