Biden's America

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Want to know a way my son saved a TON of money in college?  He never bought the books.  They are absolutely stupid expensive.  His freshman year, he bought the books his first semester because he was told he needed to.  Second semester, he just never did it.  Everything was on line.  He went to class and listened to lectures.  Got along just fine.  So, he went the rest of the way without buying books.  He ended with around a 3.7 GPA.  So, I think it worked out for him.  

Let's say you're taking 4 classes per semester.  $250 per class for books (guessing)  That,s $1,000 per semester ($2,000) per year.  I probably saved around $7,000 just doing that.

Text books are the biggest rip off in college.

5 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

He is uniting. - He is uniting the decent commonsense Republicans who view Trump for what he is (a crook and a national security threat) and what he's not (a uniter, a savior, a person who looks out for the good of America) with and the rest of the country against those who worship and idolize Trump, and would legitimately seat him as King of the United States if they had the chance. - He's uniting TRUE PATRIOTS that love America against those who would have all our institutions, our Constitution, our principles, and our place of leadership in the world burned to the ground in pursuit of their own power and money. It's pretty damn clear he's acting as a Uniting force. Inviting Republicans in the vein of Romney, Cheney, Reagan, and Eisenhower to join a coalition to take back America and their party from the Trumpists and their worshippers. 

I hope you and Archy accept the invitation and recognize what a clear and present danger Trump and his band of sycophants are. We can disagree and debate policy all day long. But when it comes down to it, love this great country Trumps any policy disagreement I have with anyone, and I'd gladly put those differences aside and work alongside anyone willing to prevent the actions of this would be usurper, the golden cow, and his authoritarian enablers that would sell our national security and the future of this great nation to the highest bidder in an effort to cement their own wealth and power. 

And who said I supported Trump? I even defended Biden from time to time until Afghanistan happened …Then I gave up. He didn’t seem engaged half the time and I lost faith he would accomplish much.  I don’t worry much about Trump or his “followers”. They will fade away soon. I am generally cynical about politics and our politicians …and the press, however. I do think it’s ironic that the Dems think they are uniting when they call 70+ million voters fascist, racist, uneducated, x-phobic (fill in for x), sycophants….what did I miss?….Putin lovers?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, nic said:

And who said I supported Trump? I even defended Biden from time to time until Afghanistan happened …Then I gave up. He didn’t seem engaged half the time and I lost faith he would accomplish much.  I don’t worry much about Trump or his “followers”. They will fade away soon. I am generally cynical about politics and our politicians …and the press, however. I do think it’s ironic that the Dems think they are uniting when they call 70+ million voters fascist, racist, uneducated, x-phobic (fill in for x), sycophants….what did I miss?….Putin lovers?

He didn’t call 70 million voters that and he clarified that today. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He didn’t call 70 million voters that and he clarified that today. 

I wasn’t necessarily speaking about Biden’s speech with regard to the 70M Trump voters. I have seen it said on this board, however. For example, It feels if someone takes an abortion stance which is “banned after 15 weeks with exceptions” they are lumped in with Trump or considered extreme. Or maybe they want the borders shut down and controlled and are then racist. The latter might be a better example, since Trump is associated with the border wall. The topics I have posted the most about on this part of board are media bias and social media bans and warnings. I will freely admit that FOX is bias, but if I pick on other outlets I must be an extremist because it can’t be true. I think the current strategy of shaming folks into not voting Republican by calling them fascist or racist or whatever is not going to work.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

Text books are the biggest rip off in college.

Yeah it is pretty true.

I would even have some Prof that would tell us "Hey, if you didn't buy the books for the class, hold off, you might not need all of them"

I stopped buying them after awhile.  Mostly because the cost and selling them back was a joke.  A 300 dollar book would get sold back for 20 dollars.

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah it is pretty true.

I would even have some Prof that would tell us "Hey, if you didn't buy the books for the class, hold off, you might not need all of them"

I stopped buying them after awhile.  Mostly because the cost and selling them back was a joke.  A 300 dollar book would get sold back for 20 dollars.

Books were the absolute biggest scam, and some of the professors were in on it. They'd have their own book that you'd have to buy, and make a minor change to it every year so you had to buy the newest addition. a$$h@!es.

Then there were some really amazing professors who new the jig, and would flat out tell us not to buy the new additions, or even make their work available for us to print for free or at a major discount. They were always the best at teaching too.

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hmm….

So... if you give people a bunch of dire hypotheticals they change their mind on something? Groundbreaking! 

"Do you support petting cute puppies?"

100% in favor

"Do you support petting cute puppies if it makes their heads fall off?"

100% opposed

:lol:

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So... if you give people a bunch of dire hypotheticals they change their mind on something? Groundbreaking! 

"Do you support petting cute puppies?"

100% in favor

"Do you support petting cute puppies if it makes their heads fall off?"

100% opposed

:lol:

If they were hypotheticals you might actually have a point.  :lol:

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If they were hypotheticals you might actually have a point.  :lol:

Unless you can tell us which colleges HAVE "increased their tuition & fees" based off student debt forgiveness, which has not yet been implemented? Or which employers HAVE changed policy to "require college degrees even if not needed to do the job?" 

These things haven't happened. They're hypothetical. That's why they use "if" and "will," not "when" and "have." 

It's a push poll. Super obvious one, too. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unless you can tell us which colleges HAVE "increased their tuition & fees" based off student debt forgiveness, which has not yet been implemented? Or which employers HAVE changed policy to "require college degrees even if not needed to do the job?" 

These things haven't happened. They're hypothetical. That's why they use "if" and "will," not "when" and "have." 

It's a push poll. Super obvious one, too. 

Do you understand where the money is coming from to pay this? It’s not a pay for, which means something else needs cut, raise taxes to pay for, or take on debt and then raise taxes to pay for.  

People with incomes between $150,000 and $249,000 WILL have loan amounts forgiven. 

Will you provide an instance where increased access to capital has EVER reduced the cost of tuition on an average basis?  

Yes I agree that employers will do what they regardless of this handout. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you understand where the money is coming from to pay this? It’s not a pay for, which means something else needs cut, raise taxes to pay for, or take on debt and then raise taxes to pay for.  

People with incomes between $150,000 and $249,000 WILL have loan amounts forgiven. 

Will you provide an instance where increased access to capital has EVER reduced the cost of tuition on an average basis?  

Yes I agree that employers will do what they regardless of this handout. 

So, still hypotheticals.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2