Biden's America

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All the bolded are happening now, to some degree.  Does it need improved?  Sure.  But, that takes resources in areas that a lot of people aren't willing to pump tons of money into for some reason.  We need structure in place to process a lot of people, faster with appropriate background checks...etc.

The number of people coming isn't going to slow down significantly unless we help their home countries stabilize.  I've said that I'm all for pumping money into these places to help security forces fight the cartels and gangs.  Ultimately, these people would prefer staying in their own countries.  If we can help them do that, they wouldn't be showing up to our border.  It's been shown that building the idiotic wall doesn't stop people.  Heck, there's videos and pictures of people climbing over Trump's pathetic wall.

Fixing the problem takes other efforts than that.

We need immigration for our economy to keep growing.  And, we need a decent amount of it.  If people can be processed relatively quickly, there's not a reason for them to not cross at the check points.

I agree we need to attack the root of the problem, which is the poverty and corruption in the countries these people emigrate from. However, we can just throw money at them. That will only lead to further corruption and disparity. We need a detailed plan to fight organized crime and invest in the long term economies and induatries of these places.

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I agree we need to attack the root of the problem, which is the poverty and corruption in the countries these people emigrate from. However, we can just throw money at them. That will only lead to further corruption and disparity. We need a detailed plan to fight organized crime and invest in the long term economies and induatries of these places.

Yes,  when I say "pump money into" this, I not saying just send them money. We need to be intimately involved with developing security systems in those countries so they actually improve.  That includes everything from security forces, infrastructure investment, industrial investment...etc.  That all takes money.  And that's the "pumping money" I'm talking about.

I wonder how hard/easy it is to get into other countries "illegally", by the way, I don't really care how people come to America, it doesn't really bother me at all.

But like, I have never been to Ethiopia, my friend has, he helped to set up a school over there, I think he was there for like a month.  How easy would it be to just "sneak" into that country and stay?

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes,  when I say "pump money into" this, I not saying just send them money. We need to be intimately involved with developing security systems in those countries so they actually improve.  That includes everything from security forces, infrastructure investment, industrial investment...etc.  That all takes money.  And that's the "pumping money" I'm talking about.

I figured as much. This is the real conversation that needs to be had, but everyone wants to focus on "dahurrr the wall, takin er jebs, ship em up north, etc"

• TBH 1
48 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder how hard/easy it is to get into other countries "illegally", by the way, I don't really care how people come to America, it doesn't really bother me at all.

But like, I have never been to Ethiopia, my friend has, he helped to set up a school over there, I think he was there for like a month.  How easy would it be to just "sneak" into that country and stay?

My only input on this is that about 15 years ago, I was in Buffalo for business.  One evening, I wanted to see niagara falls.  So, I walked across the bridge, had a wonderful dinner over looking the falls and walked back.  I just about didn't get back.  There was a stop to check my passport.  I had been to Canada years ago and didn't need one, so I didn't have mine.  I was never checked when entering Canada.  The lady was pissed.  She finally let me through after I showed her my Nebraska driver's license.  But, she did not want to let me in.  I just rolled my eyes and walked on.  It was stupid how pissed she was.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My only input on this is that about 15 years ago, I was in Buffalo for business.  One evening, I wanted to see niagara falls.  So, I walked across the bridge, had a wonderful dinner over looking the falls and walked back.  I just about didn't get back.  There was a stop to check my passport.  I had been to Canada years ago and didn't need one, so I didn't have mine.  I was never checked when entering Canada.  The lady was pissed.  She finally let me through after I showed her my Nebraska driver's license.  But, she did not want to let me in.  I just rolled my eyes and walked on.  It was stupid how pissed she was.

My story is at least 3 decades old.

My two uncles were driving up to Canada through North Dakota.  For some reason, they weren't going to let them in.  I'm not sure what the reason was; I think my uncle that smoked had too many cigarettes or something stupid like that.

They apparently drove over about 50 miles on the ND side and crossed over through some fields and country roads.

• Plus1 1
On 1/24/2023 at 8:45 AM, Archy1221 said:

Yes.

It looks like Cal-Maine wasn’t hit by the avian flu as other producers were.  If so, they have much more inventory to sell in an overall low supply/high demand marketplace.  Great place to be for that company and explains the profit situation.  

Now, market dynamics are setting the price for eggs correct.  Producers that were hit harder are seeing reduced revenue and probably reduced profits even at this inflated price.   What were to happen if Cal-Maine said screw market prices, we are going to sell our eggs at barely above break even for us.  Gives us a profit still and saves America at the same time.  
What would happen to those producers that can’t do the same given their circumstances with the avian flu? 

Not sure I understand this oddly phrased scenario. 

The company that isn't directly impacted by the avian flu is able to continue selling its eggs at the same profit margin. Perhaps the lack of competition allows them to sell more inventory for a few months. The market would allow them to charge more -- maybe quite a bit more -- and that would certainly be tempting with a for-profit company, although not necessitated by their own supply issues. It gets a little stickier when your business is food staples. The ability to make record profits from eggs at a time when hardworking Americans can barely afford your eggs is where we venture into greed, although the profiteering company never, ever sees it that way. 

The fictional scenario you concocted -- where the company uses it's market advantage to help consumers, avoid profits and somehow punish(?) competitors who don't enjoy that advantage is the weirdest way to deflect from the inflation issue. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
19 hours ago, ZRod said:

20 hours ago, ZRod said:

I figured as much. This is the real conversation that needs to be had, but everyone wants to focus on "dahurrr the wall, takin er jebs, ship em up north, etc"

Yup - which is why it is so frustrating to see the Fox viewers and GOP get so amped up about Joe and Kamala coming to the border and seeing the wall and the issue, rather than recognizing that they are going into Guatamala and Mexico to have discussions and try to figure out how to do keep the people from wanting to get out of the country.