Biden's America

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You bet! More good news in Biden's America!

Thank goodness Florida and Texas let in all those migrants from California and New York. :D Honestly this jobs report surprised me. The Tech sector I am in is letting folks go, but somebody must be hiring. It’s a weird feeling.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, nic said:

Thank goodness Florida and Texas let in all those migrants from California and New York. :D Honestly this jobs report surprised me. The Tech sector I am in is letting folks go, but somebody must be hiring. It’s a weird feeling.

The tech layoffs are a cyclical correction, typically to appease shareholders. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, nic said:

I genuinely hope you remain unaffected. 

As far as the rest of the economy, the United States is threading a needle. Unemployment is falling while inflation is also falling. This is practically unheard of. Hopefully the Fed pauses interest rate hikes to let inflation keep falling and get another month of employment numbers. If they push the pace and raise interest rates again, we may start to see jobs go negative. 

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The tech layoffs are a cyclical correction, typically to appease shareholders. 

Not entirely true. Facebook had a day of reckoning. The gravy train is over. Others took advantage and did a bottom 5%.

7 minutes ago, nic said:

Not entirely true. Facebook had a day of reckoning. The gravy train is over. Others took advantage and did a bottom 5%.

Your last sentence is what Guy is saying. For example, Google made about $50 billion in profit last year but laid off 6% of their workforce start of this year. Google could have easily kept those workers, but like many corporations the executives are motivated by short term stock price.

1 hour ago, commando said:

i thought the tech layoff were mostly twitter guys getting fired.   how many did elon fire overall?

Well it is a bloated industry that created it’s own bubble. Some correction was way overdue.

How many folks can/should make a living off mining data from consumers and reselling it to be used against said consumers?

1 hour ago, commando said:

i thought the tech layoff were mostly twitter guys getting fired.   how many did elon fire overall?

Lots of tech companies following suit. Salesforce laid off 10% of its workforce last month. Amazon, Google, and Microsoft had layoffs. Not to mention the entire crypto industry.