Biden's America

18 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I can't find anywhere the government said interest would still accrue when loan repayments were on pause. Care to share?

11 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I am pretty sure when the repayments froze the interest was frozen too.  You were given the option to continue making payments if you wanted to. 

Yeah, common sense tells me that pausing payments isn’t any kind of blessing if interest accrual was not also paused. In fact pausing only repayment while still charging interest would be particularly cruel if that wasn’t made abundantly clear.

Of course common sense won’t get a guy very far when trying to figure out what our government does.

@Archy1221 ? So is it the GOP trying to go back and screw people in debt or was interest always going to accrue through the pause? You were sticking up for the GOP move so I’m guessing you should know and have some proof.

• TBH 2

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, common sense tells me that pausing payments isn’t any kind of blessing if interest accrual was not also paused. In fact pausing only repayment while still charging interest would be particularly cruel if that wasn’t made abundantly clear.

Of course common sense won’t get a guy very far when trying to figure out what our government does.

@Archy1221 ? So is it the GOP trying to go back and screw people in debt or was interest always going to accrue through the pause? You were sticking up for the GOP move so I’m guessing you should know and have some proof.

Harry and you are conflating two different things.   The pause of student loan payments, and Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan which the GOP legislation is geared towards.    

Edit…..and so did I for a bit until looking further into it. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Harry and you are conflating two different things.   The pause of student loan payments, and Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan which the GOP legislation is geared towards.    

Edit…..and so did I for a bit until looking further into it. 

So the GOP legislation is to also have student loans accrue interest for the time they were on pause?

35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not that I have seen, unless you can provide something to show it.  

it’s about the loan forgiveness

I was basing my comments on this 1st tweet that Suh Fan posted. It specifically says “retroactively charge interest on paused student loan payments”, as well as defeating loan forgiveness.

I wasn’t conflating anything, just going off the tweet. And I would say that “retroactively” charging interest sounds like a new deal that borrowers were not aware of prior.

9 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

was basing my comments on this 1st tweet that Suh Fan posted. It specifically says “retroactively charge interest on paused student loan payments”, as well as defeating loan forgiveness.

I wasn’t conflating anything, just going off the tweet. And I would say that “retroactively” charging interest sounds like a new deal that borrowers were not aware of prior.

That would be taking Clyburns word for things. Usually not the most sound advice.   However, if someone would provide a bill that says interest on paused student loans (that were paused with the express wording that interest during that time would not accrue) would now be due, I would agree and say that’s a bulls#!t change.    Until someone can show that type of wording in bill, I will go off the assumption Clyburn is full of s#!t like usual.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I was basing my comments on this 1st tweet that Suh Fan posted. It specifically says “retroactively charge interest on paused student loan payments”, as well as defeating loan forgiveness.

https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hjres45/BILLS-118hjres45rh.pdf

• Plus1 1

https://thepostmillennial.com/exclusive-a-look-inside-of-new-yorks-largest-migrant-hotel-drunk-children-violence-guns-and-drugs

Over the past year, 65,000 illegal immigrants have made their way into New York and the state recently declared a state of emergency, as the migrant crisis continues to worsen. Mayor Eric Adams is even asking a judge to suspend the city’s decades old “right to shelter” requirement. A requirement that previously required the city to provide shelter for anyone who asks for it. Anger has erupted among New Yorkers after Adams announced that he is also considering sheltering adult migrants in school gymnasiums, where children are actively in attendance.

City officials have stated that they have already spent over $1 billion housing illegal immigrants, with Adams signing a $275 million contract at the beginning of this year to house 5,000 migrants in over 300 hotels across the city, a budget of $55,000 per migrant. Various reports have stated that it’s costing the city up to $5 million a day to keep up with the migrant’s demands, a price tag that could ultimately cost New York taxpayers up to $10 billion in total for 2023.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not sure that provides any information we don’t already know. It’s a resolution date March 27, 2023. It hardly addresses interest on paused student loans. And there isn’t enough there to know if it was any more than a proposal.

We already know Rs don’t want the loans forgiven (BTW, neither do I). I’ll see if I can find anything on the terms of the pause, what was told to loan holders. Shouldn’t be hard as I think both my kids still have a little left on theirs. I told them if there was any chance (which there was) of the loans being completely forgiven, they should hold off on paying. I mean we’re not stupid :lol:

What pisses me off about the loan forgiveness is, we paid as we went for my daughter’s education (out of state tuition at UNL) and paid off any/all loans before they began to accrue interest. Those 3 years were a bit lean. They wouldn’t loan her too much because they determined we (her parents) could afford to pay for most of it. They are and were full of s#!t….but I guess we did manage it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-attack-biden-administration-over-proposed-gas-stove-regulation-184651751.html

Gas stoves emit air pollutants including nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and fine particulate matter at levels the World Health Organization has deemed unsafe. Exposure to these substances is linked to respiratory illness and cancer. Gas stoves also emit methane, a powerful planet-warming greenhouse gas, and produce carbon dioxide, the largest cause of climate change.

The Biden administration is pursuing what it calls a “whole-of-government approach to the climate crisis” that entails regulating fossil fuels through every avenue possible, and the DOE is also required by law to require efficiency gains in consumer products.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

@Archy1221
Here’s a good (and likely trustworthy) article on how the House passed bill would affect loan forgiveness and possibly cause retroactive interest payment and even reversal of previously forgiven loans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2023/05/24/house-passes-catastrophic-bill-nullifying-student-loan-forgiveness-credit-for-millions/amp/

Of course there are 2 more hurdles for it to be adopted; the Dem controlled Senate and Biden’s veto so it prob doesn’t stand a chance but the story here is that MAGA Rs are attempting to pass it. Good luck winning over younger educated voters GOP :lol:

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not sure that provides any information we don’t already know. It’s a resolution date March 27, 2023. It hardly addresses interest on paused student loans. And there isn’t enough there to know if it was any more than a proposal.

We already know Rs don’t want the loans forgiven (BTW, neither do I). I’ll see if I can find anything on the terms of the pause, what was told to loan holders. Shouldn’t be hard as I think both my kids still have a little left on theirs. I told them if there was any chance (which there was) of the loans being completely forgiven, they should hold off on paying. I mean we’re not stupid :lol:

What pisses me off about the loan forgiveness is, we paid as we went for my daughter’s education (out of state tuition at UNL) and paid off any/all loans before they began to accrue interest. Those 3 years were a bit lean. They wouldn’t loan her too much because they determined we (her parents) could afford to pay for most of it. They are and were full of s#!t….but I guess we did manage it.

It’s the Joint Resolution Clyburn referenced when he made his comment that you commented on.   Yet somehow Clyburn can make those claims

im like you on the student loan forgiveness BS.    I paid for my school through athletic scholarship and student loans.   Paid them off on time even though I didn’t like it.  

saved for years and paid for two of my kids college so far after their scholarship money and I didn’t like that either

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

@Archy1221
Well that took all of two minutes…

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19

Repayment was paused with 0% interest. That is what student loan holders were told and that was US Dept of Education policy. Now Rs want to retroactively charge them interest. WTF? That’s some bulls#!t and I don’t care what party you support.

Where does it say interest is retroactively being charged for those student loan holders?  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

@Archy1221
Here’s a good (and likely trustworthy) article on how the House passed bill would affect loan forgiveness and possibly cause retroactive interest payment and even reversal of previously forgiven loans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2023/05/24/house-passes-catastrophic-bill-nullifying-student-loan-forgiveness-credit-for-millions/amp/

Of course there are 2 more hurdles for it to be adopted; the Dem controlled Senate and Biden’s veto so it prob doesn’t stand a chance but the story here is that MAGA Rs are attempting to pass it. Good luck winning over younger educated voters GOP :lol:

I assume you know the article is talking about student loan forgiveness and not retroactively charging the interest on the payment pause for the first 30 months or so of that pause.   

If you are upset that the student loan forgiveness thing may go away, I don’t really care.   I don’t believe in that Biden give away policy and it will probably get smacked down as unconstitutional in the way Biden did it anyways.  

People always live free s#!t, especially young people.   Sometimes others need to be the adults in the room and say enough with the free s#!t. 

it’s kinda crazy how two posts ago you rail about loan forgiveness and now act like it’s gods gift to young voters that needs to happen:lol:

• TBH 1