Biden's America

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Making illogical and unrelated points has always been hard for some. Squirrels are just really distracting for some, I guess.

I agree.  More people here should make better points and probably learn math too while there at it I guess. 
Not sure about the squirrels comment though.  I don’t really bother with them when I see them.  Maybe others have the issue.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I will say, if Biden finishes with a similar approval number and the D's trot out Kamala, she will get trounced. 

It would be nice to see some 50yr oldish candidates on both sides.  I personally would like to see their platforms be based on smaller bills and more of them rather than these ginormous all encompassing bills.   

Fix immigration piece by piece.  Small compromise wins for each sides priorities on immigration for example. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

It would be nice to see some 50yr oldish candidates on both sides.  I personally would like to see their platforms be based on smaller bills and more of them rather than these ginormous all encompassing bills.   

Fix immigration piece by piece.  Small compromise wins for each sides priorities on immigration for example. 

From your mouth to God's ears. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It's a good idea in theory. But in practice what happens is that once the first bills get passed, then there's less incentive to pass the next bills. Everyone tries to get their preferred bills in first so that they can vote against the later bills they don't want. It's part of what's happening with Manchin and Sinema now. So the solution is to have big bills with everything in it so that the voting cannot be piecemeal. Not a great solution.

• Haha 1
On 10/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, DevoHusker said:

You are entitled to that opinion. I think you are looking at it wrong. The 2 "outliers" are with the majority position on the issue. You can choose not to accept that, but it remains a fact. 

Bill Maher agrees. He is a staunch Democrat. Independents have turned on Biden and the Dems thanks to the progressive wing.

Last week, Maher defended Sinema and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., for not backing the Democrats' multitrillion-dollar spending proposals. 

"Here's my question: Does spending more money make you a better person? Or a bigger moderate?" Maher asked. "And maybe these two, Sinema and Manchin … might have their thumb more on the pulse on the average Democrat in the country."

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

On 10/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, nic said:

Bill Maher agrees. He is a staunch Democrat. Independents have turned on Biden and the Dems thanks to the progressive wing.

Last week, Maher defended Sinema and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., for not backing the Democrats' multitrillion-dollar spending proposals. 

"Here's my question: Does spending more money make you a better person? Or a bigger moderate?" Maher asked. "And maybe these two, Sinema and Manchin … might have their thumb more on the pulse on the average Democrat in the country."

Maher is wrong based on actual polling data:

$1 Trillion Infrastructure Bill Has Majority Support From Voters Ahead of Thursday’s House Vote
77% of Democrats, 52% of independents and 37% of Republicans back the package

210927_Infrastructure_Bill_Support.png

And the individual parts of the bill have higher support than the total package:

210802_Infra-Proposal_fullwidth.png

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

$1 Trillion Infrastructure Bill Has Majority Support From Voters Ahead of Thursday’s House Vote

And the individual parts of the bill have higher support than the total package:

I agree there is support for the Infrastructure bill. I do not think there is support for the 3.5B ....spending bill? The progressives shot down the Infrastructure bill because they are not getting the other 3.5B passed. Manchin and Sinema helped craft the Infrastructure bill. I am sure they are for it.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, nic said:

I agree there is support for the Infrastructure bill. I do not think there is support for the 3.5B ....spending bill? The progressives shot down the Infrastructure bill because they are not getting the other 3.5B passed. Manchin and Sinema helped craft the Infrastructure bill. I am sure they are for it.

Good catch, but Maher is wrong about Dem support for both bills. Here's an article about the polling for both: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/08/25/most-back-bidens-infrastructure-bill-and-budget-plan-poll/5577143001/

The $1 trillion infrastructure bill was backed by 63% of Americans in a new USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll. And the $3.5 trillion budget plan, the most significant expansion of the social safety net since LBJ's Great Society, was endorsed by 52%.

The infrastructure bill, which has passed the Senate and is scheduled to be voted on by the House late next month, was forged across partisan lines and is backed by 36% of Republicans as well as nearly all Democrats. The massive budget reconciliation measure, which so far has drawn only Democratic votes, was supported by 9 of 10 Democrats, 1 in 5 Republicans and close to half of independents.

By 50%-39%, those surveyed said they wanted their representatives in Congress to work across party lines on big issues, even if it means less gets done. But most Democrats, by 51%-40%, are fine with a less bipartisan approach. By 51%-40%, they said they wanted their representatives to get things done, even if it means doing them along partisan lines.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I could be wrong but Wasn’t Bill speaking about the 3.5 trillion bill on top of the Infrastructure bill? 

• Plus1 2