Biden's America

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Free crack pipes AND syringes????????  WTF. Did drugs win the war on drugs and nobody told us???

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsone.com/4287613/biden-administration-harm-reduction-grant-crack-pipes-fact-check/amp/

But several media outlets latched onto a distortion of a federal harm reduction program meant to address persisting inequalities. Instead of taking a moment to do basic research on harm reduction efforts, outlets ran with sensationalized headlines of the Biden administration funding crack pipes and syringes for racial equity.

Officials from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Office of National Drug Control Policy sought to correct the disingenuously false narrative.

“HHS and ONDCP are focused on using our resources smartly to reduce harm and save lives. Accordingly, no federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits,” HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra and Office of National Drug Control Policy Director Dr. Rahul Gupta said in a joint statement that was emailed to NewsOne on Wednesday.  “The goal of harm reduction is to save lives,” the statement continued. “The Administration is focused on a comprehensive strategy to stop the spread of drugs and curb addiction, including prioritizing the use of proven harm reduction strategies like providing naloxone, fentanyl test strips, and clean syringes, as well as taking decisive actions to go after violent criminals who are trafficking illicit drugs like fentanyl across our borders and into our communities. We will continue working to address the addiction and overdose epidemic and ensure that our resources are used in the smartest and most efficient manner.”

From what I understand the Biden administration is not funding crack pipes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek.com/public-health/1009995/biden-admin-says-grant-mention-of-safe-smoking-kits-never-meant-crack-pipes%3famp

"no federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits."

Harm reduction saves lives and has been going on at least since 1992, ironically started under a Republican administration btw.   Even if pipes were included in the kits what's the issue?  Just another opportunity for rage farming?  They help save lives and reduce the spread of disease.  Same with clean syringes.  

Just look at what happened in Indiana with HIV when Pence drug his feet on providing clean needles.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/02/how-mike-pence-made-indianas-hiv-outbreak-worse-118648

So, this is a more complicated issue than what the right wing media is running with to scare little old ladies into thinking this is going to create a storm of new crackheads running around because of free pipes.  It didn't take long to do some research to debunk all that nonsense, yet again, and to realize that harm reduction saves lives until people can get the treatment they need.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

In a first-of-its-kind federal grant to be distributed by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a branch of HHS, dozens of organizations across the country would be able to spend the money over three years on a preapproved list of resources, including referrals to treatment, infectious-disease testing kits, condoms, and vaccinations for hepatitis A and B.

Also on the list: “safe smoking kits.” Typically, such kits include a rubber mouthpiece to prevent cuts and burns, brass screens to filter contaminants and disinfectant wipes, according to Harm Reduction International.

This sounds insane on paper :ahhhhhhhh

I'm all for prevention......but I'm a bit gobsmacked by this not being a BabylonBee article

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsone.com/4287613/biden-administration-harm-reduction-grant-crack-pipes-fact-check/amp/

From what I understand the Biden administration is not funding crack pipes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek.com/public-health/1009995/biden-admin-says-grant-mention-of-safe-smoking-kits-never-meant-crack-pipes%3famp

Harm reduction saves lives and has been going on at least since 1992, ironically started under a Republican administration btw.   Even if pipes were included in the kits what's the issue?  Just another opportunity for rage farming?  They help save lives and reduce the spread of disease.  Same with clean syringes.  

Just look at what happened in Indiana with HIV when Pence drug his feet on providing clean needles.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/02/how-mike-pence-made-indianas-hiv-outbreak-worse-118648

So, this is a more complicated issue than what the right wing media is running with to scare little old ladies into thinking this is going to create a storm of new crackheads running around because of free pipes.  It didn't take long to do some research to debunk all that nonsense, yet again, and to realize that harm reduction saves lives until people can get the treatment they need.

So, let me get this straight because I'm getting in on this late.  

The majority of people both liberal and conservative believe the war on drugs is a failure and locking people up for just simply possession of a small amount of a controlled substance doesn't work.

But....all of a sudden right wing media has latched onto this and trying to save lives of people who are addicted to these substances until they can get help is bad too.    The right wing media is trying to paint this as some radical left wing action by the Biden administration.  And....this has been going on for decades through multiple Republican and Democrat administrations....but, they fail to point that out.

Do I have this right?

So, to summarize, we aren't supposed to lock people up who are addicted to this and we aren't supposed to try to save their lives.  Sounds like a great society.

• Plus1 6
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You voted for McCain over Obama?  

Yes. I thought he had a better energy policy, which I deemed (and still do) very important, and he was an experienced statesman who wasn't afraid to put country over partry. Palin was gross, but VPs don't really have that much political power anyway.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, let me get this straight because I'm getting in on this late.  

The majority of people both liberal and conservative believe the war on drugs is a failure and locking people up for just simply possession of a small amount of a controlled substance doesn't work.

But....all of a sudden right wing media has latched onto this and trying to save lives of people who are addicted to these substances until they can get help is bad too.    The right wing media is trying to paint this as some radical left wing action by the Biden administration.  And....this has been going on for decades through multiple Republican and Democrat administrations....but, they fail to point that out.

Do I have this right?

So, to summarize, we aren't supposed to lock people up who are addicted to this and we aren't supposed to try to save their lives.  Sounds like a great society.

It's talking out both sides of their mouths. They claim to care deeply about the opioid crisis, but they pitch a fit about measures that can help. 

Providing needles and crack pipes to addicts doesn't encourage or endorse drug use in the same way that sex education doesn't endorse premarital sex. But the outrage and button-pushing from the right is the same. 

• Plus1 4

39 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yes. I thought he had a better energy policy, which I deemed (and still do) very important, and he was an experienced statesman who wasn't afraid to put party country over country  party. Palin was gross, but VPs don't really have that much political power anyway.

Think I fixed it for you.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

I did, but warm washrag seemed to take care of it.

Thanks....I'll see if that helps....err....I'll pass that along.

Free drug kits have been a thing for years in NA.  Great video here, out in Vancouver. 

But this plan has two parts.

Part I:  Is th reduce and help, those are the doctors and "health" care workers that help out

Part II:  Is the local government uses these places to help contain where the addicts are at.  If you think this is just to help people, you are smoking something.

• Plus1 1