Biden's America

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I question why you consider $15 an hour a livable wage for every state in the union?  Is $15 livable wage in NYC? Boston? Miami?   Is $10 an hours living wage in Stockton, KS? Pretty Prairie, KS? Halbur, IA? Hastings, NE?  

I never said raising the minimum wage to $15/hr was the same as a minimum wage or that costs of living were the same everywhere. But it's a nice strawman.

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

And yes, if you are making minimum wage as a 30 year old since you were a teenager something is definitely wrong with that persons drive to help him or herself improve their own life standing. Unless they are special needs/disability which is another story. 

Or the system might be broken. Tell us all about how jobs leaving the Rust Belt were something definitely wrong with the people's drive to help themselves.

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Or the system might be broken. Tell us all about how jobs leaving the Rust Belt were something definitely wrong with the people's drive to help themselves.

That would be a question for Clinton, the Democrats and the true free trade republicans.  They screwed over those people with a s#!t NAFTA agreement. 

Maybe you missed the part where I said “if you were making minimum wage as a 30 year old since you were a teenager.”  

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What system is broken when someone is making minimum wage flipping hamburgers and there's a job in their own community paying more that they could have but they don'g go get it?

That's another strawman as you're assuming that scenario exists and exists at large scale. It also assumes that all jobs are equal, which isn't the case. It's not as simple as leaving McDonald's to go work in a coal mine as if the higher wage is the only consideration.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's another strawman as you're assuming that scenario exists and exists at large scale. It also assumes that all jobs are equal, which isn't the case. It's not as simple as leaving McDonald's to go work in a coal mine as if the higher wage is the only consideration.

It's not a strawman when it actually happens.  I explained earlier my situation.  I also deal with customers all over the country that are struggling to find help.  I'm not talking about a situation where there's a job that pays more but they aren't qualified or can't actually do the job for some reason.

Many times people don't open their minds to the possibility of doing a certain job.  Maybe they've never worked in a factory so they don't ever think about actually applying to work in a factory.

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We’ll there has been 4 peace agreements:dunno

What about a secretary of energy that almost failed chemistry.  :facepalm:

Or, a HUD secretary that, I guess, is qualified because he's black and black people live in government housing?:facepalm:

And...by the way....what qualified Steven Bradbury for the job more than Biden's choice?

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not a strawman when it actually happens.  I explained earlier my situation.  I also deal with customers all over the country that are struggling to find help.  I'm not talking about a situation where there's a job that pays more but they aren't qualified or can't actually do the job for some reason.

Many times people don't open their minds to the possibility of doing a certain job.  Maybe they've never worked in a factory so they don't ever think about actually applying to work in a factory.

I don't really disagree with what you're saying. I'm disagreeing that the scenario you're describing is happening at a "system" scale especially as compared to layoffs and manufacturing moving out of the region or out of the country.

And the post I was replying to was about how being 30 and making minimum wage was a fault of those people as if there were no other factors.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What about a secretary of energy that almost failed chemistry.  :facepalm:

Or, a HUD secretary that, I guess, is qualified because he's black and black people live in government housing?:facepalm:

And...by the way....what qualified Steven Bradbury for the job more than Biden's choice?

Why are you bringing those up?  Someone brought up Jared specifically so where does this come into play?  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Another in a long line of unqualified, horrible picks for his administration. Identity politics at its finest.

Pretty much what was expected though.

Emphatically speaking, he is not the most deserving person for the job. There are objectively more qualified people.

But, it's unsurprising to see you characterize him as 'unqualified' and then substantiate this exclusively based on his homosexuality. You could've mentioned any number of things including a sincere lack of experience in the transportation industry or his inexperience managing a budget of that size. And then, perhaps, woven in that this is also an identity politics issue.

Alas, no. It's all about "identity politics."

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I start at $13/hr and within 6 months, they could be making as much as $17/hr with full benefits that includes health insurance where the premium is 100% free to the employee.  I still can't find enough workers even though there are lots of fast food restaurants around employing people I would hire but paying them less with very few to no benefits.  Sometimes it just leaves you scratching your head.

I have a hard time keeping the bottom portion of my crews, for whatever reason, even though I pay better than the other landscaping companies in the area, from what I've been told. I have a few loyal/good workers, though. What field are you in business in, if you don't mind me asking.