Biden's America

Honestly, what kind of intelligence is China gathering at a 100,000 foot drift across the country? 

Our military bases aren't exactly a secret. Neither are our infrastructure projects. Or troop deployments. The health of our crops? 

Are they intercepting our billions of digital communications?  Who isn't?

Are they spying on average Americans? Don't they get much cleaner and easier behavioral data from Tik Tok?  

Don't they already have thousand of willing informants embedded in our government, corporations, and scientific community, with far better access than a balloon? 

Are they doing anything we're not?

What would you be afraid of China seeing from a 100,000 feet? 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honestly, what kind of intelligence is China gathering at a 100,000 foot drift across the country? 

Our military bases aren't exactly a secret. Neither are our infrastructure projects. Or troop deployments. The health of our crops? 

Are they spying on average Americans? Don't they get much cleaner and easier behavioral data from Tik Tok?  

Don't they already have thousand of willing informants embedded in our government, corporations, and scientific community, with far better access than a balloon? 

Is the the D's version of the R's version of loving Russia?  Yikes

• TBH 1
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Obviously I'm no expert, but I do live near a holiday inn express. 

For one it seems like this balloon had some kind of propulsion to it that could allow it to loiter and have a specific path of travel. It was apparently better a loitering than a satellite, so you can have better surveillance intel on comings and goings as well as routines. We know most satellite orbits and plan accordingly for hiding what we don't want seen.

Two you're not going to get radio and microwave signals from a satellite. The military probably broadcast sensitive information on encrypted channels, but there's always a bozo who forgets or maybe they can hack/are trying to hack the encryption. I think the government said it stop transmitting once it was discovered, so this seems like a very real possibility.

And three a balloon is way cheaper and more stealthy than launching a satellite.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Dunno if Guy is a “D” but I do get tired of the argument “everyone is doing it.” I don’t care if the US uses balloons to give other countries’ citizens rectal exams, that doesn’t mean we should just let other countries spy on us. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Jesus. You jump to some weird conclusions.

Take this one at face value:  what is the spy game in 2023, and what does overhead surveillance get you?

If you captured every piece of non-encrypted digital communication — ignoring the massive task of filtering, even with Ai — what would you expect to learn that would help your country? 

I don't know. I'm genuinely curious. 

I also don't know a single Democrat who either loves or trusts the Chinese government. The most liberal among us have been agitating against their human rights violations for years. Thanks for joining us, btw. 

Should the U.S. shut down its own extensive spying operation in order to claim the moral high ground? Never suggested that either. But we could dial back a bit of the "how dare they!" pearl clutching. The diplomats on both sides understand the fake outrage game better than us average folk. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Jesus. You jump to some weird conclusions.

Take this one at face value:  what is the spy game in 2023, and what does overhead surveillance get you?

If you captured every piece of non-encrypted digital communication — ignoring the massive task of filtering, even with Ai — what would you expect to learn that would help your country? 

I don't know. I'm genuinely curious. 

I also don't know a single Democrat who either loves or trusts the Chinese government. The most liberal among us have been agitating against their human rights violations for years. Thanks for joining us, btw. 

Should the U.S. shut down its own extensive spying operation in order to claim the moral high ground? Never suggested that either. But we could dial back a bit of the "how dare they!" pearl clutching. The diplomats on both sides understand the fake outrage game better than us average folk. 

I mean, you are making a worse case not a better one.

New name:  Guy Chinalin.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Dunno if Guy is a “D” but I do get tired of the argument “everyone is doing it.” I don’t care if the US uses balloons to give other countries’ citizens rectal exams, that doesn’t mean we should just let other countries spy on us. 

A-f#&%ing-men

Perfect post by you.

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Are you suggesting D's love China? Walk me through the comparison here.

Guy is a D, guy doesn't want the US to shoot down China balloons.  

I an a normal person that doesn't claim a political affiliation and I want all ballots from any country that is floating over the US to be shot down.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1