Biden's America

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Or people could just repay loans that THEY decided to take out to pay for degrees THEY decided were necessary.

Yep. I will never be onboard with writing off student debt. Lots of people have already made responsible decisions about whether to forego getting a higher degree or to go into debt and pursue those degrees. We happen to have one of each in our family. My son didn't think the expense was worth it while my daughter just completed her degree at UNL. Yes, a huge portion of that cost now resides in our home mortgage. I would be beyond pissed if they simply wipe it away for others. We knew what we were doing and were responsible and paid the bill. Why should others be made not responsible for the choice they made?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do people feel the same way about student loan debt as they feel about other government bailouts, like for farmers?

I don't think all these situations are apples to apples comparisons. But generally I think people should be held responsible for the choices they make. Subsidizing farmers can involve more gray areas. But subsidizing and completely wiping away debt aren't necessarily the same thing either. I'm for making education more affordable. I'm not for changing the terms after they have been mutually agreed upon.

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Lets let it play out first.  MLB was going to play anyway.  Why not get them vaccinated first?  Longer, less interrupted season perhaps.  As pointed out earlier, people need things in life like baseball.  Can help us all come together again.  I can't imagine Biden would allow pro athletes to get priority over at-risk individuals in any case.  The administration probably feels confident the supply will be good.  IF these last two sentences turn out to be false, then we can get p!ssed.  

Maybe you missed the 2020 MLB season?!?   Also, Unless I am mistaken the NFL had a season too and some big game is happening tomorrow.  All without player vaccines. 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I think their goal is reduce a burden in order to to produce more "productive members of society".  The title of the article is misleading (big surprise, huh?) as it wouldn't "wipe out" student debt, but forgive up to 50K/borrower.  I think it's a lofty goal with also canceling out income taxes on the forgiven loan and I don't think Biden will go that far, but they may try to meet somewhere in the middle.  I can see how people view this as unfair to those who have already paid their student debt themselves or have other debts they may be struggling to pay off (mortgage, etc.).  

What is the difference between wiped out and forgiven?  What’s in it for those who weren’t complete clueless clowns and didn’t borrow more than they could afford to pay back or got a degree that was in demand so they could pay their loans back, or parents who sacrificed creature comforts to help kids pay for a state school or community college, or God forbid worked long hours to PAYGO their own schooling?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do people feel the same way about student loan debt as they feel about other government bailouts, like for farmers?

I do, yes.

It may not be a direct 'apples-to-apples' comparison, but nobody is sending my landscape business a check when there's a big drought, and we're not mowing many yards for a month. Just a couple weeks worth of a drought could potentially cost our business well over $10,000. There's no bailout plan for that.

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not for changing the terms after they have been mutually agreed upon.

College students today are what? 18-23 years old? They didn't agree to this system. They didn't get a say in how our society hires workers. They're caught in the trap of needing a degree to pursue certain fields. We need those fields to have a functioning society. There's nothing mutual about that.

• Plus1 3
44 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Also, I think it's laughable that this "disgusts" yet you have never once stated anything that Trump did disgusted you. I think that explains about all we need to know about exactly what things disgust you.

This is a provably false statement.  Looking forward to the retraction after you peruse my posting history. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

This is a provably false statement.  Looking forward to the retraction after you peruse my posting history. 

If you can disprove my statement, post it up. Two or three examples might even  illicit a retraction from me. I’m not going in search of the needle in the haystack.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What is the difference between wiped out and forgiven?  What’s in it for those who weren’t complete clueless clowns and didn’t borrow more than they could afford to pay back or got a degree that was in demand so they could pay their loans back, or parents who sacrificed creature comforts to help kids pay for a state school or community college, or God forbid worked long hours to PAYGO their own schooling?  

My interpretation:  Wipe out = All gone

That's not the case.  Many students have well over 100K in SL debt.  This bill wouldn't "wipe it out" is would reduce it by 50K.  That's the difference and it's why I took issue with the Title of the article.  But, who cares?  That's not the important part. 

It's not fair lump everyone as a "clueless clown".  How do you know what is going on with their lives in regards to their career aspirations?  Some make bad decisions, yes, and I do get how it's not fair to others who have made sacrifices.

Bottom line is that college is way to expensive and it contributes to a lot of people getting themselves in bad $ situations.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Or people could just repay loans that THEY decided to take out to pay for degrees THEY decided were necessary.

There's definitely room for people to make better/smarter decisions.  I agree that is part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

College students today are what? 18-23 years old? They didn't agree to this system. They didn't get a say in how our society hires workers. They're caught in the trap of needing a degree to pursue certain fields. We need those fields to have a functioning society. There's nothing mutual about that.

If we need those fields to have a functioning society then the much more sensical solution is to make education more affordable. And while we’re at it we could modify and incentivize how society actually does hire workers. There are way too many jobs that require 4 year degrees with no basis in the reality of what is actually required for the job. It’s an elitist system that directly subsidizes higher education for self perpetuating reasons. The only mutually agreed upon thing in this discussion I am aware of is the straightforward loan agreement of give me this money and I promise to pay it back. There is no proverbial gun being held to people’s heads to sign that agreement.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe you missed the 2020 MLB season?!?   Also, Unless I am mistaken the NFL had a season too and some big game is happening tomorrow.  All without player vaccines. 

Not even sure how to respond to this.  So are you saying players shouldn't get vaccinated?  We should just continue with the testing, isolating, quarantining..

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Not even sure how to respond to this.  So are you saying players shouldn't get vaccinated?  We should just continue with the testing, isolating, quarantining..

He is saying whatever allows him to maintain faux outrage with the Biden administration. It’s a waste of time trying to get all the pieces of his argument to make sense and fit together, he sure isn’t.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1