Biden's America

51 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

While it's true that some higher paying income jobs exist even without a college degree, that's not the case for the majority of earners. The median family income in the US has never been above $60k when you adjust for inflation. The inflation adjusted dollars are in 2014 value:

SgnGx2lRGS7ZdNdthPiHFyaH4-M1TyjD2-utBpKA

http://johnstonsarchive.net/policy/famincome.html

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2020/demo/p60-270.html

Median household income was $68,703 in 2019, an increase of 6.8 percent from the 2018 median of $64,324 (Figure 1 and Table A-1).

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2020/demo/p60-270.html

Median household income was $68,703 in 2019, an increase of 6.8 percent from the 2018 median of $64,324 (Figure 1 and Table A-1).

Thanks for linking the more recent data. Looks like family median income has finally gone over $60k. However, individual income still below $60k:

The 2019 real median earnings of men ($57,456) and women ($47,299) who worked full-time, year-round increased by 2.1 percent and 3.0 percent, respectively (Figure 4 and Table A-6). The 2019 female-to-male earnings ratio was 0.823, not statistically different from the 2018 ratio (Figure 5).

And that's counting both those with and without college degrees, so my point that making more than $60k without a college degree is still unlikely.

That link shows in figure 8 that the poverty rate of those with a HS diploma but no college is 11.5% while the poverty rate for those with a college degree is 3.9%

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That link shows in figure 8 that the poverty rate of those with a HS diploma but no college is 11.5% while the poverty rate for those with a college degree is 3.9%

Social dynamics play a large role here (beyond saying someone can’t afford college) 

• Plus1 2

Biden's America :  Normalcy

Normal presidential routine, no chaotic tweets, name calling and treating opponents with civility.   

Trump's antics & unpredictability- even before the election placed a lot of stress on the American psychic.  Normalcy is good for the nation.  Now we can talk about normal things like policy differences without all of the high drama that we had wt Trump.

Maybe Biden is the 2nd coming, except for party and policy differences, of Silent Cal - Calvin Coolidge, who was president nearly the same time 100 years ago.

https://www.biography.com/us-president/calvin-coolidge

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/537418-biden-doubles-down-on-normal-at-white-house

The first weeks of President Biden's administration have been a striking contrast with the chaos and turmoil of the Trump administration, bringing a sense of normality back to the White House and government.

Biden, along with Vice President Harris, begins each day receiving the President’s Daily Brief, usually before 10 a.m. His administration has revived the White House daily briefings every weekday.

And when he has signed executive actions, they have usually been paired with events where the president delivers scripted remarks on policy, and he has rarely answered shouted questions from reporters. 

The White House also routinely sends out press releases that seem familiar. In the early days of the presidency, it issued a statement recognizing National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month — a day that had been routinely marked by previous administrations but ignored under Trump. 

The White House is returning to making visitor logs public on a quarterly basis, a practice that was held under the Obama administration but jettisoned under Trump. Former Obama officials have described Biden’s Cabinet as an extended family of sorts, filled with people whom he has worked with for years and trusts.

“I think one of the main objectives here was giving the presidency a sense of normalcy,” said one longtime Biden aide. “Enough of the crazy s#!t we experienced for four years.”

After a two-hour meeting on Monday with 10 GOP senators, there were no reports of anyone insulting one another — something that happened frequently when Democrats and Trump got together — though there was no deal either. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Me.) described the meeting as “cordial” and expressed gratitude to Biden for hosting them.

Biden’s tweets, written in lowercase letters, are frequently mundane policy missives. It’s a striking contrast with Trump’s hourly 280-character megaphone, where he often picked fights or criticized and mocked opponents. 

“It’s so funny - I hear from friends on both sides of the aisle how cleansing it is to wake up in the morning without feeling that the day will be inflamed by a crazy tweet,” said former Rep. Steve Israel, who served as the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in the Obama era. “Even people who disagree with President Biden say that at least we’re back to normal.”

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There are a lot of people who work hard and don't make a lot of $.

The fact 3 people laughed at this and think what I say here isn't true is very telling. I make a lot of $. I know there are lot of people earning minimum wage who work harder than I do because I worked for minimum wage through 6 years ago and my job then was harder than my job is now. It just didn't require expertise on a subject that people value. There are also people who work 2 low paying jobs at the same time and work 60 hours or more. I can't fathom why other people don't see that there are a lot of people like this. All 3 people who laughed at this have to assume that most people earning minimum wage are lazy, which is a bunch of f#&%ing bulls#!t and you are just plain wrong with your take.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think Biden has an opportunity to do bipartisan immigration reform but things like this will only increase Republican opposition to future negotiations.  

The problem the Republicans have is that they obstruct basically everything the Dems propose, so they haven't left themselves any room for the Dems to believe that future negotiations will even be a thing. However, the Dems are politically incompetent, so they'll try to get bipartisan support no matter how many times they get the football pulled out.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The problem the Republicans have is that they obstruct basically everything the Dems propose, so they haven't left themselves any room for the Dems to believe that future negotiations will even be a thing. However, the Dems are politically incompetent, so they'll try to get bipartisan support no matter how many times they get the football pulled out.

Maybe because the Dems only want it one way? Why would Republicans support something they are 100% politically opposed to? 

• Plus1 1

So now we're framing trump's actions as totally normal and the lefties as the hypocrites.

Funny how we need to retcon everything to make trump look good - or at least "normal," which would be a step up.

Sadly for the revisionists, the google machine remembers why the lefties were unhappy with trump's purge.

US attorney Preet Bharara fired after refusing Jeff Sessions' order to resign

On Friday afternoon, attorney general Jeff Sessions told the prosecutors, nearly all appointed by Barack Obama, that they should resign from their posts. The overhaul of US attorneys is standard practice for a new administration, though some presidents do so in phases. Bharara, 48, met with Trump late last year, however, and told reporters afterward that he had “agreed to stay on”.

“The president-elect asked,” Bharara said at the time, “to meet with me to discuss whether or not I’d be prepared to stay on as the United States attorney to do the work we have done, independently, without fear or favor for the last seven years.”

“We had a good meeting,” he added. “I said I would absolutely consider staying on. I agreed to stay on. I have already spoken to Senator Sessions, who as you know is the nominee for attorney general. He also asked that I stay on, and so I expect that I will be continuing to work at the southern district.”

On Thursday, Bharara received a phone call from the president’s secretary, in an apparent breach of justice department policy about White House communication with federal prosecutors. Bharara reported the call, described by an anonymous source to the Associated Press, to justice department officials, who agreed that he should not speak directly to Trump.

A press officer for the Bharara’s office, the southern district of New York, did not answer several questions from the Guardian. “We’ll decline to comment,” the officer said.

The White House referred questions about the firing to the justice department, which did not respond to calls or emails.

Bharara’s refusal to resign has precedent in the early days of the Trump administration. The president previously fired an acting attorney general, Sally Yates, for a similar decision to refuse his administration’s orders.

Over seven years as the top prosecutor in the southern district of New York, Bharara has pursued aggressive cases into corruption in politics and Wall Street. At the time he was asked to resign, Bharara was overseeing investigations into aides and associates of the Democratic governor and Democratic mayor. His office also reportedly opened an investigation into Fox News, into whether the network failed to tell shareholders that it had settled sexual harassment claims made against its former CEO. Since taking office, Bharara has prosecuted the former Republican state senator Dean Skelos, high-profile insider trading cases and a 120-person Bronx case believed to be the largest gang prosecution in city history.

These prosecutors are, necessarily, independent. trump's overt attempts to have them follow his orders was unethical (and a harbinger for his time in the White House) and Yates & Bharara rightly refused his demands. 

• Plus1 2