Biden's America

9 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I mean...I am really getting to the point of being over it.  

Now, I have no friends, so my 4th of July party will just be me, crying, in my backyard.  

Get yourself some snaps and smoke bombs.  You might still cry, but at least the neighbors will get a laugh!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What do you think he should do?

That. That right there. Don't come to the border.  Except he should've said it during his campaign, instead of providing false hope to thousands (millions?) of poor, sometimes desperate, people. The irony here is that Biden has put more immigrants in harm's way, in more of a compromising position, than Trump ever did. We'll see if President Biden can fix the situation. Telling them not to come is a start, even if it's too late.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

His own Homeland Security secretary admitted it's as bad as it's been in 20 years.... Also, 4,000 kids without parents seems pretty bad. 

"Bad" depends on who you ask, I'd guess. He didn't describe it as "bad," he said "difficult."

Definitely agree that 4,200 children coming here without parents is bad. But why would those children leave their home and risk coming to America unless that was the best option? Like you said, they're desperate. And many of them have waited four years to not come here under the policies of a racist. Four years is an eternity to a desperate person - half a lifetime to some of these children. 

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Tuesday the U.S. is expected to reach the highest number of people apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border in two decades.

“We are on pace to encounter more individuals on the southwest border than we have in the last 20 years. We are expelling most single adults and families. We are not expelling unaccompanied children," Mayorkas said in a statement addressing what he described as a “difficult” situation at the border.

“Our goal is a safe, legal and orderly immigration system that is based on our bedrock priorities: to keep our borders secure, address the plight of children as the law requires, and enable families to be together,” he said.

As of Sunday, Customs and Border Protection was encountering 565 unaccompanied children crossing the border on average per day, according to new data obtained by NBC News, up from an average of 313 children per day last month.

The surge has created a backlog in Border Patrol stations, with over 4,200 children in custody and 2,943 of those children being held over the 72-hour legal limit. The new figures are a record high, topping last week, when there were roughly 3,000 children in Border Patrol custody, 1,400 of whom were being held over the 72-hour limit.