Biden's America

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Bad" depends on who you ask, I'd guess. He didn't describe it as "bad," he said "difficult."

Definitely agree that 4,200 children coming here without parents is bad. But why would those children leave their home and risk coming to America unless that was the best option? Like you said, they're desperate. And many of them have waited four years to not come here under the policies of a racist. Four years is an eternity to a desperate person - half a lifetime to some of these children. 

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Tuesday the U.S. is expected to reach the highest number of people apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border in two decades.

“We are on pace to encounter more individuals on the southwest border than we have in the last 20 years. We are expelling most single adults and families. We are not expelling unaccompanied children," Mayorkas said in a statement addressing what he described as a “difficult” situation at the border.

“Our goal is a safe, legal and orderly immigration system that is based on our bedrock priorities: to keep our borders secure, address the plight of children as the law requires, and enable families to be together,” he said.

As of Sunday, Customs and Border Protection was encountering 565 unaccompanied children crossing the border on average per day, according to new data obtained by NBC News, up from an average of 313 children per day last month.

The surge has created a backlog in Border Patrol stations, with over 4,200 children in custody and 2,943 of those children being held over the 72-hour legal limit. The new figures are a record high, topping last week, when there were roughly 3,000 children in Border Patrol custody, 1,400 of whom were being held over the 72-hour limit.

I just wish Biden hadn't been so irresponsible with the false hope he gave to the people of Central America. There has to be a sense of betrayal, now that Biden is telling them to go home.

I think it's fair to call it bad when you're running out of room to house abandoned children. Difficult too. Also bad.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I just wish Biden hadn't been so irresponsible with the false hope he gave to the people of Central America. There has to be a sense of betrayal, now that Biden is telling them to go home.

How did he give them false hope?

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Come on.... Once Biden entered office they almost immediately began heading this way. There were interviews with immigrants literally saying they were coming now because of Biden entering office.

The entire Democrat primary was commercial for open boarders with an invitation to come and stay no questions asked (except maybe what state do you want to live in). 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Come on.... Once Biden entered office they almost immediately began heading this way. There were interviews with immigrants literally saying they were coming now because of Biden entering office.

Sure, because the racist guy was gone. But Biden himself didn't tell them to come. 

Not being racist isn't giving them false hope. It's just being a decent person.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

The entire Democrat primary was commercial for open boarders with an invitation to come and stay no questions asked (except maybe what state do you want to live in). 

No.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sure, because the racist guy was gone. But Biden himself didn't tell them to come. 

Not being racist isn't giving them false hope. It's just being a decent person.

No.

Their criticism of Trump, even if fair, should have probably come with caveats. Whether the false sense of hope was intentional or not doesn't really matter, it was clearly there. And maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Biden encouraging the caravan to turn around and go home when it first started after his inauguration.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Their criticism of Trump, even if fair, should have probably come with caveats. Whether the false sense of hope was intentional or not doesn't really matter, it was clearly there. And maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Biden encouraging the caravan to turn around and go home when it first started after his inauguration.

So Biden being less racist and more compassionate than his predecessor, which gave hope to others...is a flaw. Good lord.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Biden himself told the caravan that formed in January to go back home. The people coming now have heard nothing from Biden that encourages them to come here. I thought he was pretty clear that he was leaving trump's policies largely in place, and was focused on finding a path for the illegals already here to gain legal status. 

I think there's just such desperation in Central America that they don't really care what Biden says or does. They're going to come here and beg for help.

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think US policies over the last century in Central and South America are more to blame. 

This, DEFINITELY, is the issue.

We aren't taught much about America's involvement in Central American politics in school, and we really should be. 

• Plus1 1

I don’t recall Biden or other prominent Dems telling migrants to come through our open borders.  But I do recall the GOP shouting from the rooftops that the borders would be left unattended if Biden won.

(funny how the GOP is holding this against Biden instead of sighing with a huge sense of relief)

I think the wrong people are getting credit for the marketing campaign...

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This, DEFINITELY, is the issue.

We aren't taught much about America's involvement in Central American politics in school, and we really should be. 

@BigRedBuster & I were having a discussion about this yesterday in regards to trade policy and outsourcing of jobs/manufacturing.   My concern is why are we outsourcing production to communist China and Vietnam when we could be doing the same in our now neighborhood in Central American.   BRB brought up some good points about stability, crime, resources etc as to why manufacturing went to the Far East instead.   With that said, it would go a long ways to helping the USA if we had policies that would help our neighbors to the south - and not just Americanized policies.  We've had some pretty ugly dealings with our neighbors trying to exert our will on them.  We have to make it an equal partnership and not one of dominance - the people there must lead and we can help with resources.   We must address the poverty, crime, gang, cartel issues so that people feel safe to stay in their countries and can find meaningful employment there.   We can create a win win if we start dealing with the people and the nations in Central America with compassion and as co-equal partners in reforming the area.  I wonder when DC will get the vision to do so instead of making these people the objects of debate and disdain - on a chain being jerked left and right.  

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t recall Biden or other prominent Dems telling migrants to come through our open borders.  But I do recall the GOP shouting from the rooftops that the borders would be left unattended if Biden won.

(funny how the GOP is holding this against Biden instead of sighing with a huge sense of relief)

I think the wrong people are getting credit for the marketing campaign...

i would bet that archy can't find the audio or video of dems saying that.   but almost every republican campaign commercial said that the borders would be open if biden won.

• Plus1 5