Biden's America

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I Have never really thought about that before.  I have a friend that grew up in North Dakota, he said there was like a tiny fence that you could just step over and go into Canada.  

He said they did that to get beer.

But, do Canadians try to sneak into America?  Do Americans try sneaking into Canada (well, for reasons other than getting beer when you are not yet 21)

Yes.

The Urban Institute estimates there are about 250,000 undocumented immigrants from China and between 65,000 and 75,000 from Canada in the United States.

https://www.wweek.com/portland/article-8470-hes-an-illegal-eh-lien.html

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Only the southern one has over 500,000 people annually trying to sneak through it.  It’s an interesting point of note!

https://wol.iza.org/articles/enforcement-and-illegal-migration/long

The most commonly cited and widely documented unintended consequence of increased border enforcement is longer migration spells and reduced circularity. In the US, border enforcement as measured by US Border Patrol linewatch hours has a significant negative effect on migrant outflows to Mexico, as well as inflows, which implies that tougher enforcement increases the duration of stay by deterring return migration. That encourages more permanent settlement among unauthorized immigrants from Mexico [9].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5049707/

The principal substantive finding of our analysis is that border enforcement was not an efficacious strategy for controlling Mexican immigration to the United States, to say the least. Indeed, it backfired by cutting off a long-standing tradition of migratory circulation and promoting the large-scale settlement of undocumented migrants who otherwise would have continued moving back and forth across the border.

Yeah, wonder why we have so many attempts at illegal crossings.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dang!

Now I have to keep my ears open for people talking aboot their marks on their report cards..

s#!t...I have said too much!

My favorite thing about Canada is that they interrogate John Green every time he enters because he got denied access once when he was younger for insufficient funds.

I have never viewed immigration as a problem.

1 minute ago, deedsker said:

My favorite thing about Canada is that they interrogate John Green every time he enters because he got denied access once when he was younger for insufficient funds.

The host of Crash Course?

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So the answer to border security and cutting illegal crossings is less security:dunno   That’s funny. 

You could read further into their hypothesis and data backing the idea. 

promoting the large-scale settlement of undocumented migrants

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Reuters—March 2021

On Wednesday, Senate Republicans also sought unanimous consent for initiatives that would increase protections for children, tighten rules for asylum seekers, subject migrants accused of violent crimes to detention and require DNA tests for undocumented adults claiming to be related to migrant children.

So, nothing that would reform immigration to make it easier for people to immigrate to the US legally.  Got it.

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, nothing that would reform immigration to make it easier for people to immigrate to the US legally.  Got it.

Is making immigration easier the goal?  Or is making it an orderly safe and secure process the goal?   Glad you got it as I was worried for a brief moment.  

• Plus1 1