Biden's America

On 5/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, ZRod said:

Hell yes it was! But I also knew I would get a rise out of you or BRB. I love that you guys are dependable. I'm just glad we can actually have conversations like this now, and not talk about how much of a f#&% up POTUS is.

No, you probably shouldn't be collecting $55k a year from the government unless you're some kind of disabled veteran, or other citizen who is physically unable to perform any kind of job.

Yes, I think the vast majority of jobs should pay something closer to $55k for a person who needs to support a family. The poverty line for a family of 4 is like $25k or around $12/hr. I have no idea how a family of 4 could survive off of that. That has to be worse than paycheck-to-paycheck. They would have no future... I'm hoping in the long run the current unemployment rate will improve standard wages for the lowest earners.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, Archy1221 said:

Those conversations are still relevant to today’s POTUS 

So @ZRod @bigredbuster and @JJ Husker are discussing policies.  Zrod says that these political conversations are much better than talking about “how much of a f#&% up” POTUS is.  

Maybe you misinterpreted their conversations???

• Plus1 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So you are arbitrarily going to put the figure where you want.  

it’s also skewed down by teenager jobs. So here's what I found when I researched it.

look, I wish everyone made more money. But, private businesses shouldn’t be competing with unemployment like this.  

The teenager jobs is a theory I hadn't considers.

The government says there were 42.65 million people age 15 to 24 (highschool to college age let's say) which is about 13% of the population; but only 50% of that age group actually works. Idk if 6.5% of the population earning 1% of the income (assuming they are part of the 10.3% of bottom earners) is going to skew the data as much as the top 20% (those making more than $100k) earning 50% of the total US income.

FYI.. I'm pulling these numbers from Wiki and Statista, who both claim to be pulling the number from the government.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know all of the details of the extra Covid stuff but couldn't they just turn off extended unemployment? Or is he going to do something before that happens? I'm not sure how you track whether someone's offered a job or not.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know all of the details of the extra Covid stuff but couldn't they just turn off extended unemployment? Or is he going to do something before that happens? I'm not sure how you track whether someone's offered a job or not.

They just added it, so why can’t they take it away?

I don’t know the answer to your last comment.  But, it would be nice if they figure it out.  Also, they can’t do what we are experiencing where people come, work one day and never show up again. 

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why not just have employers disclose if they offered a job to someone?

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They just added it, so why can’t they take it away?

I don’t know the answer to your last comment.  But, it would be nice if they figure it out.  Also, they can’t do what we are experiencing where people come, work one day and never show up again. 

I didn't mean "is it possible," it was more of a why... I'd think turning it, or the extra $300, off early would be easier than tracking job offers.

Just now, ZRod said:

Why not just have employers disclose if they offered a job to someone?

Sounds like a bit of a headache and I wonder what % compliance they'd get.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Wow, this is a badass statement.  Love it.  

I know a lot of people that won't love it, even on here, but this is the right call.  

I appreciate it as well. I'd also add though that businesses will be taxed to reimburse the American people for all monies paid to their employees in government assistance due to their substandard wages. Pay your employees or pay the government what it needs to make your employees whole.  

And any job offered to pull someone off unemployment cannot be terminated for a minimum of 6 months. 

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't mean "is it possible," it was more of a why... I'd think turning it, or the extra $300, off early would be easier than tracking job offers.

Sounds like a bit of a headache and I wonder what % compliance they'd get.

I actually think the tracking of job offers should be permanent. 

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

At what level of pay? (The article doesn't say.) That's enormously important because we're handing even more power to employers - they already have control of employee healthcare but let's give them the ability to low-ball potential employees on wages because they can blackmail them with losing unemployment benefits.

• Plus1 1