Biden's America

41 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

At what level of pay? (The article doesn't say.) That's enormously important because we're handing even more power to employers - they already have control of employee healthcare but let's give them the ability to low-ball potential employees on wages because they can blackmail them with losing unemployment benefits.

I don't understand how this would even work.  

It's easy to require proof that you are trying to find a job: provide applications and interview info.

But how does the govt track if a person didn't accept an offer?  Does the potential employer have to fill out paperwork saying they tried?  That sounds like a pain in the a$$!

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

At what level of pay? (The article doesn't say.) That's enormously important because we're handing even more power to employers - they already have control of employee healthcare but let's give them the ability to low-ball potential employees on wages because they can blackmail them with losing unemployment benefits.

I wouldn't be able to answer all specific questions and yours is appropriate.  But, the concept is a favorable move in the right direction.  Maybe it's tied to a certain percentage of what they previously were making.  Maybe that changes over time.  So, let's say you are making $50,000 per year.  You can get on unemployment but if you are offered a job at say $45,000 per year and don't take it, you lose benefits.  If you sit there for a year not taking jobs because the pay isn't what you want, that minimum to get benefits slowly goes down.  

Like I said, I don't have all the answers.  But, it's worth exploring.

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't understand how this would even work.  

It's easy to require proof that you are trying to find a job: provide applications and interview info.

But how does the govt track if a person didn't accept an offer?  Does the potential employer have to fill out paperwork saying they tried?  That sounds like a pain in the a$$!

The employer would need to be involved with documentation.  Yes, it would be a pain in the a$$.  But, it could be made a lot easier with technology.  If our HR person offers someone a job, they go on to a secure website, put in the social security number, name....etc. and the pay scale of the position.

I heard an interview on the radio this morning with a woman who believes that the whole "staying at home to collect unemployment" is BS.  The fact she used to dispute this is that these people are clearly actively looking for a job.

WELL....NO s#!t!!!!  They have to show that to keep getting the benefit.

The entire interview came off as someone who works within the system and sees no way someone can game the system.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I heard an interview on the radio this morning with a woman who believes that the whole "staying at home to collect unemployment" is BS.  The fact she used to dispute this is that these people are clearly actively looking for a job.

WELL....NO s#!t!!!!  They have to show that to keep getting the benefit.

The entire interview came off as someone who works within the system and sees no way someone can game the system.

I think that a huge majority of people on unemployment are searching for work and want to work.

I think a small % do not and sadly, they make it look bad for the others.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think that a huge majority of people on unemployment are searing for work and want to work.

I think a small % do not and sadly, they make it look bad for the others.  

I believe the majority of people on unemployment want to work.  The percentage of people who don't is unknown.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't be able to answer all specific questions and yours is appropriate.  But, the concept is a favorable move in the right direction.  Maybe it's tied to a certain percentage of what they previously were making.  Maybe that changes over time.  So, let's say you are making $50,000 per year.  You can get on unemployment but if you are offered a job at say $45,000 per year and don't take it, you lose benefits.  If you sit there for a year not taking jobs because the pay isn't what you want, that minimum to get benefits slowly goes down.  

Like I said, I don't have all the answers.  But, it's worth exploring.

The employer would need to be involved with documentation.  Yes, it would be a pain in the a$$.  But, it could be made a lot easier with technology.  If our HR person offers someone a job, they go on to a secure website, put in the social security number, name....etc. and the pay scale of the position.

It's an idea, but then employers would game the system to offer whatever the minimum the government makes them. It puts downward pressure on wages. Maybe only lose benefits if you turn down a job of equal or greater pay than previous job? I'm not opposed to the concept, but it feels like it'd be rife for abuse by companies.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It's an idea, but then employers would game the system to offer whatever the minimum the government makes them. It puts downward pressure on wages. Maybe only lose benefits if you turn down a job of equal or greater pay than previous job? I'm not opposed to the concept, but it feels like it'd be rife for abuse by companies.

I would have no idea what exactly someone is getting paid by unemployment.  If someone applies and they were making 18 per hour, they are going to be collecting way different than someone that was at 12.  And.....I think there are laws against me coming right out and asking, what are you making now....or then.

Most employers offer what they think they can pay for a position and compare that to where the market is to be able to attract someone.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would have no idea what exactly someone is getting paid by unemployment.  If someone applies and they were making 18 per hour, they are going to be collecting way different than someone that was at 12.  And.....I think there are laws against me coming right out and asking, what are you making now....or then.

Most employers offer what they think they can pay for a position and compare that to where the market is to be able to attract someone.

Employers can ask what you made in your previous jobs. Might be illegal in some states, but it's happened to me a couple times and I double-checked that they were allowed to do that.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Employers can ask what you made in your previous jobs. Might be illegal in some states, but it's happened to me a couple times and I double-checked that they were allowed to do that.

Still, that employee has to compete for you compared to other positions you are applying to. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Still, that employee has to compete for you compared to other positions you are applying to. 

Not if they know or suspect I'm getting unemployment benefits (assuming the plan we're discussing), which they can pretty easily put together if  I've been laid off or out of work for a while.

This exact thing happened to me a few years ago. I got laid off and was on unemployment for several months looking for a job. Several companies gave me absolutely low-ball offers, which I could fortunately afford to turn down and keep looking. Having unemployment helped me take the risk to turn down those offers and find a really good job a month or so later. I'm was in good financial shape and could afford to do that, but someone not as fortunate (especially if they'd lose unemployment benefits) might not be able to take that risk.

• Plus1 2

My god, you don't answer that honestly, do you?

"How many women have you had sex with" lie

"How tall are you?" Lie when you are under 6 foot

"How much did you make at your last job?" Lie

Everyone knows to lie about these things, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not if they know or suspect I'm getting unemployment benefits (assuming the plan we're discussing), which they can pretty easily put together if  I've been laid off or out of work for a while.

This exact thing happened to me a few years ago. I got laid off and was on unemployment for several months looking for a job. Several companies gave me absolutely low-ball offers, which I could fortunately afford to turn down and keep looking. Having unemployment helped me take the risk to turn down those offers and find a really good job a month or so later. I'm was in good financial shape and could afford to do that, but someone not as fortunate (especially if they'd lose unemployment benefits) might not be able to take that risk.

@teachercd has a point.  But, let’s say I hire you just above what you are getting in unemployment. That doesn’t stop you from still looking got a better paying job. If you do, I’m the loser. You made a little more while with me and now you’re even in a better situation. 

im the idiot that tried lowballing you and wasted my resources and time. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@teachercd has a point.  But, let’s say I hire you just above what you are getting in unemployment. That doesn’t stop you from still looking got a better paying job. If you do, I’m the loser. You made a little more while with me and now you’re even in a better situation. 

Exactly, doesn't every that has a job still sort of "look" at other jobs.  I mean, unless you are Hugh Hefner, you are probably always thinking there is a better job out there.

I LOVE my school, I love the classes I teach, I love everything about the place I am at and I still look.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

But if you hit on 1 out of 4 you can underpay for...the length of their employment. Worth the risk?

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Except that if it works for you to hire me for less, your competition is going to start doing the same. That's why it puts downward pressure on wages.

I get that you're looking for ideas to minimize people taking advantage of the unemployment system, but I think this concept will simply shift the power from the employees to the employers who already have a lot of power. And corporations have a long history of taking advantage of their workers, so it's not like they're going to be altruistic given more leverage against the workers.