Biden's America

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

A little over half of the American public are tax liabilities. 

It's interesting that people still hang onto this as though it's a meaningful point of discussion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2019/08/06/remember-the-47-percent-who-pay-no-income-taxes-they-are-not-who-you-think/?sh=2771bc0547d7

The 47 percent number came to take on a bigger, symbolic meaning: Nearly half of Americans live their lives taking government benefits but contributing nothing. Fullerton and Rao show that while that image is politically enticing for some, it simply is false.

You even stretched the percentage.  Congrats.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What do you think would be a fair wage for a new employee at Walmart or Amazon.  Like for a cashier or greeter or warehouse.

15 doesn't seem to cut it.

25 an hour?

30?

No employee who works full time should qualify for federal assistance. If they do qualify for federal assistance, the amount of federal assistance paid to the employee should be directly added on to the employers annual tax bill.

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No employee who works full time should qualify for federal assistance. If they do qualify for federal assistance, the amount of federal assistance paid to the employee should be directly added on to the employers annual tax bill.

Maybe there's people who have jobs that shouldn't be getting the government assistance they are getting.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe there's people who have jobs that shouldn't be getting the government assistance they are getting.

Oh I agree, tax breaks for the top 1% grind my gears too. As to corporate tax loopholes that decrease their tax burden to 0. There is no doubt in my mind there are people getting government assistance they don't need or deserve. 

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Oh I agree, tax breaks for the top 1% grind my gears too. As to corporate tax loopholes that decrease their tax burden to 0. There is no doubt in my mind there are people getting government assistance they don't need or deserve. 

Wow....you're jumping all over the place.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Wow....you're jumping all over the place.

You said " Maybe there's people who have jobs that shouldn't be getting the government assistance they are getting."

I agreed with you and provided examples of government assistance that people with jobs shouldn't be getting. Not sure how that is "jumping all over the place." 

41 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

What is the dollar amount?  

Why won't you answer that?  What should a full time cashier at Walmart start out at?

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What is the dollar amount?  

Why won't you answer that?  What should a full time cashier at Walmart start out at?

Cost of living is different throughout the nation a flat dollar amount isn't realistic nationwide. Do you feel a person who works 40 hrs week should have to be on welfare, be accused of being a welfare king/queen, be maligned in the media and right wing pundits regularly, be unable to afford to maintain their own health and that of their family due to the high cost of healthcare, and be ultimately made to feel worthless due to working for an employer that refuses to pay a decent wage?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's interesting that people still hang onto this as though it's a meaningful point of discussion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2019/08/06/remember-the-47-percent-who-pay-no-income-taxes-they-are-not-who-you-think/?sh=2771bc0547d7

You even stretched the percentage.  Congrats.

I don't know what to tell you. It's true. Half of Americans get more in government services than they pay in via taxes. Most of whom are elderly, working mothers, etc. The number of people who are tax liabilities is larger once local spending (public education, policing, roads, etc) are factored in.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm very much in favor of government spending and the expansion of programs. But the real point is, there really isn't that much that is accomplished if you raise taxes at the bottom of the income bracket; tax increases need to focus on the highest incomes and heavily so.

46 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Cost of living is different throughout the nation a flat dollar amount isn't realistic nationwide. Do you feel a person who works 40 hrs week should have to be on welfare, be accused of being a welfare king/queen, be maligned in the media and right wing pundits regularly, be unable to afford to maintain their own health and that of their family due to the high cost of healthcare, and be ultimately made to feel worthless due to working for an employer that refuses to pay a decent wage?

No, do you?

So give me a number?  I will give one

25 dollars a hour should be the minimum wage.  Do you agree or disagree?  

• 2 weeks later...