Biden's America

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

THANK YOU!!!!

I feel like it should be pretty easy.  Or at the very least, it should not be difficult, if that makes sense.  

I would think the entire process could be pretty streamlined and done online, quickly.  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I feel like it should be pretty easy.  Or at the very least, it should not be difficult, if that makes sense.  

I would think the entire process could be pretty streamlined and done online, quickly.  

Hopefully he lays a good framework so Canada can see how it’s done!

• Oh Yeah! 1

54 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Amen.

I just finished my masters this Spring so I could get a raise.  But I’m pretty confident in saying 30 of the 36 hours I took will not make me a better teacher. 

My sister is a professor in Minnesota.  She has some frustrating stories about kids getting second chances when they don’t deserve them.

I don’t want to poopoo the importance of a quality education, but our educational system has some serious flaws in its rigor.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Amen.

I just finished my masters this Spring so I could get a raise.  But I’m pretty confident in saying 30 of the 36 hours I took will not make me a better teacher. 

My sister is a professor in Minnesota.  She has some frustrating stories about kids getting second chances when they don’t deserve them.

I don’t want to poopoo the importance of a quality education, but our educational system has some serious flaws in its rigor.

I won't say education isn't important either, but a traditional college education is much less important than on the job training....And it's definitely not consistent evidence of intellect. It's too often mistaken as such.

Also, Maher better be careful. He's been flirting with getting cancelled, if he's not careful.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Amen.

So I have two Mastersereres degrees.  When I was finishing up my second one, I realized that I could take one or two more classes to bump up to the highest pay scale without a PhD.  So I figured I might as well do it and make more cash.

I was down to one class left and found one that seemed interesting but I did not want to do a lot of work, so I emailed the professor and basically said "Hey, I need one more class to bump up on my pay scale, I was wondering if you could let me know if your class is a lot of work or not"

She was kind enough to email back and let me know that there was a lot of work to do for the class and that it would be interesting but if I was just looking for an easy class, this might not be the one.

I thanked her and found a class on power point presentation and communication to students.  We basically made power points.

I can't remember the last time I created a power point since the end of that class.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Amen.

The Education classes I took for my minor were a joke, but so is teacher pay at least at the beginning. 

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The Education classes I took for my minor were a joke, but so is teacher pay at least at the beginning. 

I’d love to make more.  But I’m not going to complain too much about being able to retire with a full pension in my early to mid 50’s.

I’ve continued my education and coach 3 sports at the middle school level.  I also work in the summer. I’m doing okay.

The trick is getting through the first few years by understanding you are being paid a living wage, and that’s it.   New teachers that buy new cars are not smart teachers...

• Oh Yeah! 1
8 hours ago, funhusker said:

I’d love to make more.  But I’m not going to complain too much about being able to retire with a full pension in my early to mid 50’s.

I’ve continued my education and coach 3 sports at the middle school level.  I also work in the summer. I’m doing okay.

The trick is getting through the first few years by understanding you are being paid a living wage, and that’s it.   New teachers that buy new cars are not smart teachers...

It is sort of the long game that you have to play.

Honestly, if you coach or do an overage (they don't usually do that unless it is high school) you can do just fine.

s#!t, I have a buddy teaching PE summer school this summer and he is getting 8,000 for that, on top of 5,000 for softball, 5,000 for baseball and probably another 3,000 in supervision.  That is in addition to his teaching salary.  

• Plus1 1