Biden's America

21 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is sort of the long game that you have to play.

Honestly, if you coach or do an overage (they don't usually do that unless it is high school) you can do just fine.

s#!t, I have a buddy teaching PE summer school this summer and he is getting 8,000 for that, on top of 5,000 for softball, 5,000 for baseball and probably another 3,000 in supervision.  That is in addition to his teaching salary.  

Teaching salaries have always been treated as "supplemental salaries" usually earned by the second bread winner in the family, usually females.  My son took an entry level position at Burlington Railroad and earned more in his first year than I did in my last year of teaching.   

32 minutes ago, Goal-line said:

Teaching salaries have always been treated as "supplemental salaries" usually earned by the second bread winner in the family, usually females.  My son took an entry level position at Burlington Railroad and earned more in his first year than I did in my last year of teaching.   

Yeah there is a lot of truth to that.

The problem is, we will pay firemen 125K a year but when it comes to teachers, they are treated like babysitters. It is all lip service "Oh your job is so important" and "Oh my gosh, thank you for what you do"

Manchin, will be perceived as the Judas, The Benedict Arnold of the Democratic party   The Dems have this big wish list of things they want to get done and one of their own is in the way.  He is against breaking the filibusterer rule and against the current version of the voter rights bill.    He wants to force bipartisan legislation.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/06/06/manchin-voting-rights-op-ed/

Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) on Sunday said he would not support federal voting rights legislation that his party has argued is critical for preserving democracy, in an announcement that effectively turned the path ahead for all other major items on President Biden’s agenda into quicksand.

In an op-ed in the Charleston Gazette-Mail, Manchin said he thought the For the People Act — which Democrats say is needed to secure free and fair elections and protect against GOP-led efforts to restrict voting at the state level, often disproportionately affecting voters of color — was too partisan.

“The right to vote is fundamental to our American democracy and protecting that right should not be about party or politics. Least of all, protecting this right, which is a value I share, should never be done in a partisan manner,” Manchin wrote.

Manchin also defended the filibuster and said he would “not vote to weaken or eliminate” the Senate rule that requires 60 votes for most legislation to pass, all but guaranteeing that any legislation opposed by even a small number of Senate Republicans will fail.

“Some in my party have argued that now is the time to discard such bipartisan voting reforms and embrace election reforms and policies solely supported by one party. Respectfully, I do not agree,” Manchin wrote. “I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening binds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For the People Act.”

Manchin’s op-ed is consistent with his past statements, but it comes as Biden has intensified his rhetoric against Republican-led efforts to restrict voter access at the state level, calling it “un-American” and “an assault on democracy.” It also serves as a warning to his Democratic colleagues that Manchin will not bend despite the increased pressure the West Virginian has faced in recent weeks to drop his demands for bipartisan deals at a time when few seem possible.

In a speech last week to mark the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre, Biden made clear that June should be “a month of action” for Congress, declaring he would “fight like heck with every tool at my disposal” to get the For the People Act passed. He also announced that Vice President Harris would be overseeing the White House’s voting rights efforts.

Without naming them outright in his speech, Biden also effectively blamed two Democratic senators — Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) — for holding up progress on his agenda in general.

“I hear all the folks on TV saying, ‘Why didn’t Biden get this done?’ Well, because Biden only has a majority of, effectively, four votes in the House and a tie in the Senate with two members of the Senate who vote more with my Republican friends,” Biden said then, although it is not true that Manchin and Sinema vote more with Republicans.

On CBS News’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday, Manchin defended himself against charges that he was blocking Biden’s agenda.

“We’re looking every way we can to bring this country together and unite the country. That’s what I’m doing,” Manchin said. “And I think anybody, whether it be a Democrat or Republican, that’s sitting today in the Senate knows who I am. And I’ve always been about bipartisanship.”

However, the timing of the op-ed — just before Congress reconvenes Monday after a week-long recess to take a series of votes on Biden’s domestic agenda — also blunts hope of progress on other legislation. For weeks, the White House has been mired in negotiations with Republicans on Biden’s sweeping infrastructure plan, with talks that both sides have politely described as “healthy” and “constructive” but that have ultimately yielded no compromises. Democrats have struck a more urgent tone, saying they want a “clear direction” on the infrastructure plan by Monday and that negotiations can’t go on “forever.”

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am very interested in knowing how they got the money back and in doing so, were they able to arrest some of the people involved.  

FYI....one reason why I'm not a fan of cryptocurrencies.  

Apparently they knew the password. The recovery seems a bit sketch at this point. We'll have to wait for more info to come out. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Still not sure how I feel about this. We don't need to be a forever-occupying force but all the expert analysts are concerned we're going to have a power vacuum on our hands.

Unfortunately, it needs to happen.  Also, unfortunately, the world will need to figure out what to do when the power vacuum occurs.  

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Still not sure how I feel about this. We don't need to be a forever-occupying force but all the expert analysts are concerned we're going to have a power vacuum on our hands.

How much longer do you think we need to stay?

3 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

How much longer do you think we need to stay?

It's not "X" amount of time. It's a security question. And I'm fully aware there's likely no answer to that question.

If Alexander the Great couldn't subdue that region, I doubt any general alive today could. But maybe the answer is more diplomatic? And we haven't tried that.

Plus, we HAVE TO get the translators & their families out. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm angry because in Nebraska, we have to pay a higher fee for a long time because of the surge in Natural Gas prices. Those prices need to be passed solely on the people of Texas.

If you don't want to be held responsible, vote for people who want to bring your power grid out of the third world. This ain't happen, of course, but the people of Texas made a choice and those choices have consequences. 

Texas's power grid continues to find ways to not be prepared:

Texas grid operator urges electricity conservation as many power generators are unexpectedly offline and temperatures rise