Nebraska is not a good football team

I am I

I have absolutely no doubt that everyone on this board were extremely excited when Frost was hired, myself included. However, three years into the Frost era and I see minimal improvement and our talent is average at best. We have been among the most penalized teams in the nation for over a decade now. How long does it take to fix that!? Arguably, there has been zero improvement in that area over the past three years. Moreover, our red zone offense is a disaster and has been since Frost arrived at UNL. I actually think that the only improvements have been on the defensive side so now I understand why Frost has not fired Chin because may be he is realizing that he is the issue here and not chin. Our special teams are extremely UNSPECIAL. The team has no identity and our plays have no rhythm what so ever. To make things worse, every time we have a nice drive, we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot and either end up turning the ball on downs or throwing an interception. This game for me was the actual measuring stick on where we are now and it is obvious we are no better than Rutgers or Illinois. We will be lucky if we pull a win and a miracle if we pull two wins this season. Frost is completely lost and has no answers. Things are not going to be better next year either unless Frost makes some smart decisions and starts Luke in every game going forward.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I over estimated what Frost was, based on one season where he had a Heisman caliber QB. It looks like he is destined for his 4th losing season in 5 years as a head coach. I truly have no idea if he will figure it out. My motto the last 2 years was "Frost will get this turned around". I have my doubts. 

Heisman caliber QB playing in a conference whose idea of defense is prevent all day, all the time.

Basically UCF just outscored people that year and it just lined up well, due to a great QB.

I don't think Frost is going to succeed.  How many coaches with losing seasons their first 3 years at a school ever come back to win a conference championship at the same school?

Right now they are 0-2 and the chances they go 4-4 or better are probably about 1%.  I think they will be fortunate to go 2-6.  And that might only because they will play a really bad team in the 7th place crossover game.

I hope they can prove me wrong.  The defense is showing some actual signs of improvement.  They played well enough for Nebraska to win today, had the offense not just pissed down their leg when they'd reach the red zone. 

My hope is that this game was sort of like the horrid 9-7 loss to ISU with the 30345487903465 fumbles in the red zone.  Next week, if they come out with confidence that they can move the ball against PSU maybe they will get something going.  PSU has been pretty hideous as well this year, so far, probably far more surprisingly than Nebraska.

But right now it is hard to have any confidence that will happen, until they prove it.

• Plus1 1

Really puzzled by a number of coaching decisions and one that I don't think has been mentioned yet has been a number of drives when we were going quick pace, had them on their heels, and then inexplicably we slowed it down, allowed the defense to get set, took our time gandering over to the coaches for a late call. I put the failure to maintain a successful pace squarely on the coaches. To paraphrase an old axiom, when having success... run it until they stop it.

5 minutes ago, Comish said:

Really puzzled by a number of coaching decisions and one that I don't think has been mentioned yet has been a number of drives when we were going quick pace, had them on their heels, and then inexplicably we slowed it down, allowed the defense to get set, took our time gandering over to the coaches for a late call. I put the failure to maintain a successful pace squarely on the coaches. To paraphrase an old axiom, when having success... run it until they stop it.

To me there were many questionable decisions.  The biggest by far was allowing AM to be in the game as long as he was.  Besides that, when Luke was in near the goaline I have no idea why they didn't try a bootleg or option.  Frost is way overrated as an offensive coach. 

2 hours ago, Day by Day said:

I don't want to become negative, but for the first time I'm starting to question if Frost is the one to turn it around. I'm gonna try and stay positive, but I feel the negativity creeping in. 

I hear you. But like you, who would we get as a coach if Frost does’t turn it around in two or three years? Too bad the Callahan experiment failed. He and his assistant coaches were great recruiters but didn’t show much on the football field. He had one top-10 recruiting class and was on the verge of having another before his last season imploded. If he and his coaching staff could had coached as good as their recruiting, they could have had consistent top-10 recruiting classes or at least top 15. So I am not comparing apples to oranges, that was only three years after the Huskers went to the Rose Bowl. Thus when Callahan came, Nebraska was still consider an elite team who had a little bump in the road. With Frost, that was a long time ago when the Husker were elite. Thus many high school recruits today only see Nebraska as a mediocre team and don’t know about N’s glory years. 

6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

To me there were many questionable decisions.  The biggest by far was allowing AM to be in the game as long as he was.  Besides that, when Luke was in near the goaline I have no idea why they didn't try a bootleg or option.  Frost is way overrated as an offensive coach. 

I agree with you on the goal line call. Almost impossible to stop a quarterback read/ or duckto the outside. Instead a tight window throw to a congested goal line?

9 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We ran the same formation with the same motion 3 times and lead to an int

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

That's the worst take I've seen on this. Can you transfer off the board? 

Not one player has complained about the culture so to says it's cancer is not very smart.

Lol 9-17 says hi. Winners win and Losers lose. Take your moral victories and put them up your corn hole.

FROST=LOSER

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

It’s even simpler than that... just throw some freaking posts, fades, downfield option routes. Even if we suck at it, the threat at least makes the defense think about it. These dumb 20 yard pass sideway routes that only

go 3-5 yards forward are called too often and they’ve NEVER been productive. It lets the defense creep up and stack more against the run threat

and its not a talent issue.:: there is speed and size at the wide out position. While they’re young, they aren’t out talented by a northwestern team that was trash last year 

Exactly...we are trying to be "methodical" when we have ZERO methodology 

22 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

hear you. But like you, who would we get as a coach if Frost does’t turn it around in two or three years? 

I’m 100% serious. If in 2-3 years frost still isn’t getting it done. Hire the best coach you can that runs the triple option. Sure you won’t win titles, but you’ll be hard to prep for and end up winning 6-8 games a year. Nebraskans will love it, it’ll be nostalgic, we will be top 5 in rushing every year and our state will eat up the smash mouth brand. 

1 hour ago, CornBro86 said:

This Scott Frost experiment is going to end very badly. The Football culture is cancer, the coach staff is in over their heads, mini tyrants run the AD, and the coach is 9-17. There is a reason players keep transferring out of the program. 

Players transfer in to the program, so...

8 minutes ago, CornBro86 said:

Lol 9-17 says hi. Winners win and Losers lose. Take your moral victories and put them up your corn hole.

FROST=LOSER

You kiss your mother with that mouth?