Nebraska is not a good football team

I am I

Did anyone who watched UCF a lot know if Frost’s offense has changed since then? When he came here he talked a lot about adding power to speed. He talked like he did that at UCF but I kind of wonder if he focused too much on the power aspect here to the detriment of speed. I just remember the UCF offense being fast, both playing fast and the players being fast. Where it gets murky for me is the actual playcalling because I’m not much of an Xs and Os person. 

All I know is the person who said Frost is too stuck on the Oregon offense is likely full of it. My guess is we have the opposite problem and he changed too much. 

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Did anyone who watched UCF a lot know if Frost’s offense has changed since then? When he came here he talked a lot about adding power to speed. He talked like he did that at UCF but I kind of wonder if he focused too much on the power aspect here to the detriment of speed. I just remember the UCF offense being fast, both playing fast and the players being fast. Where it gets murky for me is the actual playcalling because I’m not much of an Xs and Os person. 

All I know is the person who said Frost is too stuck on the Oregon offense is likely full of it. My guess is we have the opposite problem and he changed too much. 

They were second in the nation in passing plays over 20 yards. IDK if we've had 1 pass play over 20 yards all year. They had Trequan Smith an athletic WR who plays a big role on this year's Saints team. They had Jordan Adkins, super athletic TE starting for the Texans now. Their RB ran a sub 4.4 40, their back up RB ran a sub 4.4 40. They emphasized speed. Mills, Austin Allen, Falck, Warner - move like sloths in comparison. 

• Plus1 2

There was a link posted before the first game of the season to an article that speculated we could winless this season. I didn't bother to read it and chocked up to click bait.

I'm now wondering if they may have been right.

I didn't expect much this year with a ceiling of 4-4 but getting anywhere close to that now seems like a long shot at best.

If anyone other than HCSF would have come in here and posted 9-17 record the pitchforks and tar & feathers would have been out in force.

The worst part is I don't see any improvement in any aspect of the game.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not ready to pack it in and call the 2020 huskers a lost cause after a loss to a top 4 team in OSU, and a one possession loss to a 3-0 Northwestern team that plays fundamentally sound football.  Defensively, we are formidable.  We have young talent at every level, Robinson and Rogers, Reimer, Heinrich, Farmer.  They handed the offense 7 points today, and aside from a few select plays, the defense was stout throughout the afternoon.

Offensively, our line is young and developing, but continues to show promise.  Didn't look as good this week with Jurgens out, but you can't deny the talent we've got.  Jurgens, Piper, Benhart, Corcoran just to name a few. 

Mills is a serviceable B1G back, he doesn't create much but he runs hard and doesn't leave any meat on the bone.  Thompkins and Scott look to be capable backups with a decent amount of upside.

Its time to open up the WR position. As long as the players are academically eligible, and we're not dealing with an off the field situation the magnitude of Katerian Legrone and Andre Hunt, you play your best talent.  Now isn't the time to die on that hill because a kid has an "attitude problem", or isn't doing things the Nebraska way.  Fight that battle once you've built enough depth and the drop off in talent isn't as severe.  Going 0-8 not playing your best talent is worthless. Scott is stubborn, but he will learn, just like TO did. 

Bad teams have problems they can't correct.  All of the problems we see with this team are very correctable.  its a matter of WILL they be corrected, and not CAN they be corrected. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

They ran the offense much faster & they were a big play offense.   They ran the ball for chunks very consistently at UCF & it opened up the offense.   That last year at UCF, their average scoring drive was under 3 minutes.  In turn, the D played complimentary ball, and was more aggressive.  They played the quintessential b-ball on grass and when the D produced stops and TO's, they could bury an opponent under an avalanche of pts quickly.   

At NU everything has slowed down.  Even when NU plays reasonably well, the O lacks explosiveness, the D is in turn more passive, gives up longer drives, the O has issue re-establishing rhythm for stretches as a result.   Both sides of the ball have traded turns lacking faith in the other (for good reason) & as a result we see a much slower pace than they play at UCF.  

I don't think it's an issue of willfully trading power for speed, they haven't had explosive players, and in turn plays to build off.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, zero_blitz said:

I'm not ready to pack it in and call the 2020 huskers a lost cause after a loss to a top 4 team in OSU, and a one possession loss to a 3-0 Northwestern team that plays fundamentally sound football.  Defensively, we are formidable.  We have young talent at every level, Robinson and Rogers, Reimer, Heinrich, Farmer.  They handed the offense 7 points today, and aside from a few select plays, the defense was stout throughout the afternoon.

Offensively, our line is young and developing, but continues to show promise.  Didn't look as good this week with Jurgens out, but you can't deny the talent we've got.  Jurgens, Piper, Benhart, Corcoran just to name a few. 

Mills is a serviceable B1G back, he doesn't create much but he runs hard and doesn't leave any meat on the bone.  Thompkins and Scott look to be capable backups with a decent amount of upside.

Its time to open up the WR position. As long as the players are academically eligible, and we're not dealing with an off the field situation the magnitude of Katerian Legrone and Andre Hunt, you play your best talent.  Now isn't the time to die on that hill because a kid has an "attitude problem", or isn't doing things the Nebraska way.  Fight that battle once you've built enough depth and the drop off in talent isn't as severe.  Going 0-8 not playing your best talent is worthless. Scott is stubborn, but he will learn, just like TO did. 

Bad teams have problems they can't correct.  All of the problems we see with this team are very correctable.  its a matter of WILL they be corrected, and not CAN they be corrected. 

Are they though? Cause we’ve seen them time and time again the last 3 years

16 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

There was a link posted before the first game of the season to an article that speculated we could winless this season. I didn't bother to read it and chocked up to click bait.

I don't think its the end yet. There are only 2 major flaws on this team, quarterback and coaching. One can be fixed in a week.. 

8 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

They ran the offense much faster & they were a big play offense.   They ran the ball for chunks very consistently at UCF & it opened up the offense.   That last year at UCF, their average scoring drive was under 3 minutes.  In turn, the D played complimentary ball, and was more aggressive.  They played the quintessential b-ball on grass and when the D produced stops and TO's, they could bury an opponent under an avalanche of pts quickly.   

At NU everything has slowed down.  Even when NU plays reasonably well, the O lacks explosiveness, the D is in turn more passive, gives up longer drives, the O has issue re-establishing rhythm for stretches as a result.   Both sides of the ball have traded turns lacking faith in the other (for good reason) & as a result we see a much slower pace than they play at UCF.  

I don't think it's an issue of willfully trading power for speed, they haven't had explosive players, and in turn plays to build off.  

Well said

11 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Have Milton take snaps at QB and the whole team changes.

12 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Have Milton take snaps at QB and the whole team changes.

I mean it’s a part of it, but this offense is built entirely different. The talent and speed at the skill positions is glaring. Did Frost say the B1G will need to adjust to us, then completely shift how he builds his offense? Wandale is our only offensive player that looks like he would belong on the 2017 UCF team

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think a big part not touched on yet is they had Florida speed. Our Florida speed (regardless of side) keeps leaving.

3 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

He had milton as a qb

I watched UCF a lot in the year before Frost hired.  You are wrong to suggest Milton was the reason they went undefeated.  The team had speed on both sides of the ball, great receivers, and an aggressive defense with sure tacklers and pass protection.

The Huskers don’t show much of the good traits. 

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

A guy buried on the TCU depth chart leaves the program and this is your "evidence?"

Losing 14 scholarship players is a serious defect.  The coaches apparently recruited players they didn’t like, lacked the leadership to inspire the players to commit, or drove them away because they coaches change their concept too much or demonstrate incompetence or insincerity for the players future.

The coaches lost 3 or 4 defensive backs early in the COBID19 season delay- they went back to the SEC where played did not delay the season start.  
It’s been three years of Frost’s recruits and we are not near fielding a strong competitive team.

I don’t the defense is good and don’t like the scheme.  The DC and assistants should be replaced and the offensive assistants should be evaluated.  
Frost had better consider new assistants or the AD will replace all of them.  
I hate to think of a revolving door in the Football Dept but they must achieve some success or get fired.

We fired Solich for not winning the big game despite 9 win seasons.  We fired Pelion with good winning seasons for losing the big game and his big mouth and a crazy brother.  In the mean time we hired and fired Callahan and Riley- both destroyers of traditions and good seasons.  We also fired Craig Bohl who went on to success at North Dakota State and Wyoming.  Solich has well at Ohio in 16 seasons- not up to Devaney or Osborne standards but better than we got at UNL.  

• Haha 1