Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

One game in not an indication of the product as a whole. Chinander isnt the answer. 

Northwestern put up 43 points against Maryland and 21 points against Iowa. Us letting them put up 21 is no kind of a problem for me.

The problem, just like last year, is on the offensive side of the ball. We didn't make a bowl game last year because of this offense going stagnant in games - specifically not punching the ball into the end zone inside the red zone.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3

That was a sorry looking offense. I don't know if it was modeled after the Chip Kelly spread offense or the Lincoln High spread but neither quarterback looked competent with Martinez doing his usual bonehead game killers and McCaffrey on speed thinking every decision has to be made in two seconds.
Maybe they should give Logan Smothers a shot? And maybe the backup RB should get a shot since the starter is still struggling to do anything?
They're making us look like the teams we used to pay to come to Lincoln. All the advantage goes to the offense in the modern game and this is the sputtering mess we're supposed to accept? Two 1st n Goal gifts ends with a deflected pass at the middle linebacker? Bring back the fullback and the Power I, get rid of this weak garbage.
The line looks much better so sorry QB's , you don't get that excuse.

I honestly didn't have a problem with Scott Frosts' play-calling for the first 2.2 seasons -- and let's face it, no OC is calling a game or designing an offense that Frost didn't pre-approve -- because I could see what he was trying to do. Some of the plays that worked great on one drive don't work on another. Growing pains. 

But yesterday I just didn't understand a lot of the play calls. The exact opposite of innovative: cautious and easily detected plays designed to get 5 yards when it's 3rd and 11. Baffling calls on the final drive when clock management was imperative. 

If our most productive plays are broken plays where the QB has to improvise, McCaffrey is definitely the guy. And if it requires a quick release throw to one of our highly motivated freshman receivers, he's the guy for that, too. 

I also drew up a couple plays on a cocktail napkin showing how we might put the ball in Wan'dale Robinson's hands, and I'll be mailing that to Scott tomorrow. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Why does Scott keep trumpeting how good Adrian is? Ego, “a promise made?”, trolling, naivety...? The kid is not it. Whether it’s the pressure, the scheme-to-skill mismatch, the yips...who knows. We just get to see the results. They’re inconsistent in their best stretches. Terrible in too many stretches. 

The D played well, but we have seen this in the last three years. Pull up games where the D vastly outpaced the O and then look at the posts. They same the same thing. “Chin isn’t the problem.” Then two weeks later we’re a wet paper towel matador defense and people want his head on a stake. 

This team has no identity and is not consistent. When was the last time all three phases played well together? Just by accident, after this many games, it should’ve happened more than it has in reality. 

I still believe Scott is the guy. I don’t see anyone else coming in to this program and doing what he could do. But we’re not only not seeing it, we’re not seeing glimpses it could turn around any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Northwestern put up 43 points against Maryland and 21 points against Iowa. Us letting them put up 21 is no kind of a problem for me.

The problem, just like last year, is on the offensive side of the ball. We didn't make a bowl game last year because of this offense going stagnant in games - specifically not punching the ball into the end zone inside the red zone.

Ya- we threw two pics in the end zone. Not a d problem at all- a penalty and turnover problem. 

• Plus1 2

It has to be Luke. We’ve seen what AM brings to the table and it’s indecisive throws in the pocket that are often not accurate and the guy, while shifty, would rather run 10 yards sideways and 2 yards forward than the other way around.

i know a separate discussion, but after al the hype of our running back and mills, why in the heck does he only have 28 touches through 2 games when our o line seems to be one of our bright spots?!?  

we have talent available yet we seem to get too freaking cute with the play calling.. there might be an element at play where we have 2 qbs who are solid, not great, but they’re simply being asked to do WAY too much. Where are the drives where we rack up 25-35 yards on the ground (from a RB, not a qb) to open up the pass more?  Where is the feature plays for mill to better our chances with a PA call?

There’s an overall mediocre standard of play calling coupled with a strange loyalty to older players who ARE NOT athletic enough to turn a big play.

22 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

i know a separate discussion, but after al the hype of our running back and mills, why in the heck does he only have 28 touches through 2 games when our o line seems to be one of our bright spots?!?  

Mavric covered this in another thread:

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That would be exactly backwards.  Our problem is we are not good are running power football.  I thought we looked better last week but not so much. 

Our distribution of touches is absolutely terrible.  The thing we did the most of yesterday was let Dedrick Mills run the ball (19 carries).  That was the least efficient thing we did (3.1 ypc).  Even if you increase that efficiency by 50% that would still be the least effective thing we did on the day.  Yet for some reason we kept trying.  The second least effective thing we did on the day?  Throw the ball to Dedrick Mills (5.5 yards per catch).  Yet he had the most catches.

Dedrick Mills had 25 touches - nearly 30% of our offensive plays - and he was the least efficient with them at 3.6 yards per touch.  Wan'Dale averaged 8.0 ypt and got 4 touches.  Marvin Scott - playing the same position as Mills - averaged 4.7 ypc.  None of the other receivers averaged less than 6.0 ypc.  

No idea why we insisted on doing more of the worst thing we were doing.  But this is where that gets you.

• Plus1 1

We need a win very bad for this team to get a sliver of confidence. I honestly think that Luke gives us the best chance at winning. He seems more confident and more hungry for a win. We need to have some vertical threat or else our running backs will be ineffective. AM passes were horrible for the most part and lacked any accuracy. Luke’s passes looked more crisp. The issue was not Luke but rather the horrible play calling by Frost who seemed unsure of how to finish opportunities in the red zone. If we actually finished two of our opportunities, we would be winning by a touchdown and not losing to an unranked northwestern team. 

On 11/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, Archy1221 said:

Martinez is a terrible passer.   He refuses to throw the ball until the receiver is actually open.  He has no concept of seeing the play develop and throwing into the open spot prior to the receiver actually being open.  Most of his throws are way to late.  Plus his accuracy sucks. 

thanks for checking in Luke

AM had a couple of really nice play/throws on the first drive, but then it devolved from there. One play we missed picking up a middle linebacker who came right through the middle of the line and AM stopped his rollout and side armed a perfect ball to the receiver. He make some plays, but then he can't even throw a swing pass in step. :dunno

• Fire 1