Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah, and it might not be something we see, but the players can definitely feel it. And if Mills was comfortable saying it in a press conf, I wouldn't be surprised if he was speaking for more than himself.

Combine that with what Frost said about Martinez......needs to be quicker, more efficient in his decisions 

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Combine that with what Frost said about Martinez......needs to be quicker, more efficient in his decisions 

I'm glad I was able to re-find this, its Frost's notes at a coaching convention. Tempo is a massive part of his philosophy as a coach. I really hope the coaches do a self audit this week. IF Luke is the better tempo guy, it's not unrealistic that the things that looked iffy, suddenly look a little better. Frost notes below.

https://coachhoover.blogspot.com/2018/01/2017-ucf-clinic-scott-frost-notes.html

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm glad I was able to re-find this, its Frost's notes at a coaching convention. Tempo is a massive part of his philosophy as a coach. I really hope the coaches do a self audit this week. IF Luke is the better tempo guy, it's not unrealistic that the things that looked iffy, suddenly look a little better. Frost notes below.

https://coachhoover.blogspot.com/2018/01/2017-ucf-clinic-scott-frost-notes.html

Frost also mentioned the past couple of days that he's been waiting on a he defense to improve to handle going tempo on offense.

Are we there yet?  I dunno...but definitely closer.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I could definitely see something like "Luke gave us a spark last week so he's going to start but Adrian will play the second quarter and we'll go from there" scenario.

Only issue with that is that's the exact scenario that got Frost booed so he might not want to put someone else in the same position.

I think there are still enough small issues that are holding Luke back that make it not as clear of a "we're going a different direction" as many people like to think.  I think Luke will be more involved, just not sure he'll get the first snap. 

IMO it wouldn't be a horrible plan to start off with AM, and also give LM 2-3 consecutive series in the first half.  Cream rises to the top as they say.  Do the same in the 2nd half, but stick with the hot hand - if the game is tight.   At the end of the day the coaches should be able to evaluate and make a decision moving forward (This is QB1, this is QB2).  This is a good week to do that.  Home turf for the Huskers and opponent is 0-3.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Undone said:

I doubt putting Luke in was an "I've had it with Adrian forever" moment for Frost. Highly doubt it.

I think he put Luke for the reason he gave - to see if Luke could give the offense a different spark. I find it unlikely that Frost walked into the office on Monday morning thinking "Luke's my guy from this point forward."

It's probably an actual open competition this week where the best guy in practice gets the job.

Not sure if ‘forever’ crossed his mind, but I think it’s fair to say he might’ve thought the same thing most of us did when AM threw the pick:

If my 3rd year starter still can’t read coverage and make good decisions, what do I really stand to lose by playing the freshman?

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Not sure if ‘forever’ crossed his mind, but I think it’s fair to say he might’ve thought the same thing most of us did when AM threw the pick:

If my 3rd year starter still can’t read coverage and make good decisions, what do I really stand to lose by playing the freshman?

What do we stand to lose is a great question.  A lot of posters have brought up very good points about why certain guys are still playing, knowing the playbook better/blocking etc. I see the points but I also see this:  1-7 in the last 8 games. If we are going to lose the game with the less talented more seasoned kids who might screw up less, what else are we really going to lose by putting younger, more talented kids for more snaps to get them experience and maybe have them make some plays? The game? A couple more TDs? Because we're already doing that right now.

I voted Luke because I think he's playing better than Martinez.  But, he has a ways to go also to be that really good QB that's going to lead us to many wins.  That interception was totally on him.  He threw it directly into the head of his lineman.  Come on....You get the ball inside the 5 yard line with the talent we have on offense and we should have easily put it in the end zone.  

Hopefully, if he starts, he gets in a rhythm from being in the game from the beginning and we see improved play.

• Plus1 1

It has to be Luke imo.

Many of the short/intermediate passes AM missed on Saturday are absolutely vital to making the offense work. They all build off of each other to complement Inside Zone and the vertical pass game. Every time those passes are missed not only does it make the down and distance an obstacle due to sheer yards to gain, it allows LBs/Safeties to play downhill and not worry about having to cover the entire field.

I really think the AM(or a better version) we saw at times during the 2018 is gone and will not be returning. It's very unfortunate.

I rewatched the NW game this evening. My thoughts are the same now as they were after the first viewing.

Martinez has a lot more good plays than many people seem to acknowledge. We also know that LM got the offense set wrong in one of the last goal line possessions; Martinez doesn’t seem to noticeably set the offense incorrectly often (which can go a long way). And I know, and I know Frost knows, that Martinez is a very talented player, not unlike LM.

I believe that the best case scenario for this team is still for Martinez to return to form. It is way beyond me as to what happened to him between freshman and sophomore years, and why he can’t accurately throw simple bubbles and to wide outs. But if he could fix those - hypothetically - then he should be our guy.

The only problem with trotting him out Saturday and beyond is that he’s already had innumerable chances to fix these.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, C-4 said:

I rewatched the NW game this evening. My thoughts are the same now as they were after the first viewing.

Martinez has a lot more good plays than many people seem to acknowledge. We also know that LM got the offense set wrong in one of the last goal line possessions; Martinez doesn’t seem to noticeably set the offense incorrectly often (which can go a long way). And I know, and I know Frost knows, that Martinez is a very talented player, not unlike LM.

I believe that the best case scenario for this team is still for Martinez to return to form. It is way beyond me as to what happened to him between freshman and sophomore years, and why he can’t accurately throw simple bubbles and to wide outs. But if he could fix those - hypothetically - then he should be our guy.

The only problem with trotting him out Saturday and beyond is that he’s already had innumerable chances to fix these.

Not being able to see downfield because the view is restricted to the camera field, it’s hard to know if Martinez is slow in going through his progressions or if no one is open and he’s making a good decision not to force things. 

the misses to Wandale are terrible. Reminds me of Jon Lester, Steve Saks, or Chuck Knobloch not being able to throw to first.

the old saying about the backup QB being the most popular guy in the room is right. Teams with leads in the 2nd half likely are not going to play aggressive defense. 

Not sure why all the first half line penalties have to happen. I think every lineman made one. That was killer. 

The field goal kicker will be an asset to either. 

On 11/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree - Martinez lacks the necessary 'touch' on swing or bubble passes and its even worse on crossing routes or throws down the field. 

Touch?  It takes years to throw the perfect pass.  I hate this, but it makes me laugh every time.  :lol::facepalm:

• Haha 2