Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Me thinks Scott is a liar

The tweet itself doesn't exactly match what I heard. He fumbled around with it, he responded to "what are you willing to tell us about it" with "not much" and "we'll make a decision here." Which does imply they haven't made the decision, but I think that's just him trying not to answer it. I bet the coaches know, and they're just not announcing it yet. Or they could be deciding after this practice, but he knows whether it's officially "decided" or not. Verduzco has input for sure, but it's Frost's call and I'm sure he's made it in his mind.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, jager said:

I'm leaning towards AM. I just think that he is Frost's boy. Not saying LM wont play or can't play better.

I rewatched the game in 60 on BTN and I don't even think Adrian was that bad. He missed those short throws on that one series backed up on our own end (that weren't going anywhere anyways), he threw the pick, he airmailed the throw in the endzone to Allen, and he one-hopped the ball to Wandale. But otherwise he was fine and doing a ton with his legs. We were only in position to throw the pick because he made two monster runs on broken plays.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I rewatched the game in 60 on BTN and I don't even think Adrian was that bad. He missed those short throws on that one series backed up on our own end (that weren't going anywhere anyways), he threw the pick, he airmailed the throw in the endzone to Allen, and he one-hopped the ball to Wandale. But otherwise he was fine and doing a ton with his legs. We were only in position to throw the pick because he made two monster runs on broken plays.

12-27 for 125 isn't going to get it done at QB.. Missing short throws when you are backed up isn't just something to flippantly dismiss, it is when those throws need to count the most. Airmailing yolo bombs also isn't want you want from your 3rd year starter. Add it all up and it isn't going to get us over the hump. Doesn't matter what he can do with his legs. In this offense, he is doing it with his legs BECAUSE he can't get it done with his arm. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I watched it again as well.  AM wasn't really that bad but the team did have a different vibe with Luke in.  I would be surprised if Luke didn't get the start but won't be upset either way.  They are both plenty capable if the other parts of the team are clicking.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

12-27 for 125 isn't going to get it done at QB.. Missing short throws when you are backed up isn't just something to flippantly dismiss, it is when those throws need to count the most. Airmailing yolo bombs also isn't want you want from your 3rd year starter. Add it all up and it isn't going to get us over the hump. Doesn't matter what he can do with his legs. In this offense, he is doing it with his legs BECAUSE he can't get it done with his arm. 

Two of those were drops, one was the hail mary at the end of the half and two were batted down at the line, so the numbers aren't as bad as they seem from the box score. And I'm not flippantly dismissing anything; it was a bad series for him, but everyone has bad series, and this bad series and one interception seem to be overwhelmingly and unfairly coloring an otherwise pretty average/fine game from him in which he did make plenty of good plays. 

And to say that it doesn't matter what a QB can do with his legs in Frost's offense is absurd. He averaged eight yards a carry against the No. 5 defense in the country; that counts for something. He needs to be better through the air, but passing success isn't only on the QB as so many people here would have you believe. I think he deserves another chance.

• Plus1 1

Personally, I will start Luke.  If he does well in the first half, you keep him and believe you might have your QB going forward and a win with confidence.

If Luke screws up his opportunity and flounders, you bring in Martinez.  If Martinez secures the ship, he is set up as a Savior and resecures the starting job for a while and perhaps more fire is ignited toward a good finish to the season.

If they both flame, you go into the next game playing Luke and the new guys and try to sell that and build for the next season.

That's my take.

25 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

bad series and one interception seem to be overwhelmingly and unfairly coloring an otherwise pretty average/fine game from him in which he did make plenty of good plays. 

I'd argue he didn't make many good plays with his arm, and in this scheme that is crucial. I also contend that most of his big play runs are not designed that way and are more him making something out of a broken play, which is good, but is also often happening again, because he failed to make the throw that was necessary at the time it was necessary.  It isn't just this game that has people wary of his passing game, it is the whole of the past two seasons. I actually can't remember seeing him place even 15% of his passes on a dime ever. I don't think he can make the throws. I gave him pass after pass last year, but it's starting to be a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me type thing. He in game processing is lethargic and it shows over and over on game day. When he does make the throws, they are rarely on the money and often complete misses.  When you look at the entire picture, sluggish reads, poor throws in the flat, poor touch throws, poor throws over the middle, misread coverages, throwing into triple coverage, just not sure where you are seeing hope. But I'd gladly eat all of my thoughts if a decent QB, no matter who it is, shows up on Saturday. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Two of those were drops, one was the hail mary at the end of the half and two were batted down at the line, so the numbers aren't as bad as they seem from the box score.

Yes they are as bad as they seem. Every QB has drops and passes broken up, and every QB has those counted as pass attempts.

There are of course examples where things are just blatantly going badly from that standpoint, but this wasn't one of those examples, IMO.

• Plus1 1

I posted somewhere after the NW game that our so long as we were on schedule for down and distance on 3rd we fared pretty well.  Behind schedule we were horrific at best.  For that reason alone, Luke would get the start.  At least he is capable of the swing passes and the dink and dunk balls to try to keep us on schedule.  Luke seems to play with the read, rip or run mentality.  Dude doesn't waste any motion.....Move the sticks....

I'd like to see a lot more of Scott and RT this game at RB.  If Frost isn't going to pound the ball with Mills, give these two a chance to spell him and get some speed on the edges.....Maybe even run a 2 back set with Mills and one of the young guys.  Or Wan'dale.....Time to win........

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1