Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, TheSker said:

Right now, Betts seems to be a batter bet than Manning 

Agreed, at this point, we just need some sort of threat beyond 10 yards. And I would prefer that to be a receiver as a Tightend trying to outrun and then out jump defensive backs 20 yards downfield doesn't seem like it would yield success. We have to be able to stretch the field to make the short stuff work as it did at UCF & Oregon.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

That works too, they just need to get creative. Having Luke sit on the sidelines for nearly three quarters, no Brown, limited Manning, Betts and Fleming really pulls back the potential. I'm sure Falck and Werner are solid individually, but they don't come across as deep ball threats. Therefore, the defense is compressed within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage and our QBs have to then become precision passers or Patrick Mahomes in order to get receivers open with space. 

It is one aspect we have been reluctant to try since Bo would do so with Armstrong and Quincy Enunwa. Sure the throw can be risky but we have to have threats down field if our read options, draws, screen passes are going to work. It would be nice to see us try Hickman, Manning, Betts run Go routes and then toss one up every once in awhile. Takes the corner out and likely pulls a safety which opens up much more of the field for the run game and passes to Wandale in the slot.

I wonder if Luke not playing much in the first half last week was more of Frost knowing he was going to play him a lot at QB in the second half and wanted him thinking about that instead of WR or DuckR or whatever he's been playing.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if Luke not playing much in the first half last week was more of Frost knowing he was going to play him a lot at QB in the second half and wanted him thinking about that instead of WR or DuckR or whatever he's been playing.

No. If Frost had his druthers AM would have continued to play in the 2nd half as a result of good performance. Also, Frost stated they attempted to work Luke in during the 1st half but because of the looks NW gave they went away or checked out of it. 

Right now, we really don't have a downfield pass threat with either QB in the game, and the rest of the passing game ain't much better. At the moment, I'm more concerned about who's receiving the ball than who's throwing it.

• Plus1 2

The one thing I believe I'm seeing is that when there are protection breakdowns, LMC appears MUCH quicker both in terms of instincts and footspeed.  I caught myself at least three times watching AMC escape and get positive yardage, where I thought AM2 would've been tackled (and potentially fumbled). Even one of those could have been the difference in the game.

I thoughr LM did a great job today considering he was often times dealing with a collapsed pocket along with literally having to save the play himself several times today.  He fielded those high snaps like a pro.  Then there's the play calls especially in the 2nd half that made no sense to me that I felt severely limited our offense.  LM is literally getting his first consistent playing time of his career right now. 

The coaches need to set him and the rest of our offense up for success a lot better.  Martinez would have made plays today but there were definitely passes today where LM had the touch to actually complete the pass whereas I can remember thinking 2AM likely would not have.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1