Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My main criticism of Martinez is for a third year player, he has remained prone to turnovers.

If I have my data correct:

Luke has played fewer minutes than Adrian and has committed 3 turnovers. Adrian has committed 2 turnovers.

And now, a photo of an apple turnover:

appleturnover-2c610d74140d400996e5b88077

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

And yet Martinez had better rushing stats in the first two games than Luke did Saturday.  Against a worse defense.

Like I said....

Martinez has shown over the last 8 games (that he started) he can't make the short passes to keep drives alive. Sure he completes one every now and then - but his short and intermediate pass game was below average. Martinez trying to complete a bubble screen, pass to the flat, or a screen pass to a rb was downright awful. There is no argument Luke was a significant upgrade in this area; in fact, multiple instances (and comments pointing such out from friends as the game was going on) in the last 6 quarters where Luke has made throws which would have been 1-hopped or uncatchable with Martinez in there. 

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Martinez has shown over the last 8 games (that he started) he can't make the short passes to keep drives alive. Sure he completes one every now and then - but his short and intermediate pass game was below average. Martinez trying to complete a bubble screen, pass to the flat, or a screen pass to a rb was downright awful. There is no argument Luke was a significant upgrade in this area; in fact, multiple instances (and comments pointing such out from friends as the game was going on) in the last 6 quarters where Luke has made throws which would have been 1-hopped or uncatchable with Martinez in there. 

I think Martinez's issues on short passes are significantly overblown. It is not at all a strength in his game, but last year there were more drops than misses. This year, people took the one miss against NW andare running with the narrative that he can't make those. I actually think that one was catchable, but definitely not perfect. It's easy for us to say the other guy would've/wouldn't have made certain plays, and most of the time we have no idea. I think Luke get's it out quicker, I haven't seen enough to say much more than that.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think Martinez's issues on short passes are significantly overblown. It is not at all a strength in his game, but last year there were more drops than misses. This year, people took the one miss against NW andare running with the narrative that he can't make those. I actually think that one was catchable, but definitely not perfect. It's easy for us to say the other guy would've/wouldn't have made certain plays, and most of the time we have no idea. I think Luke get's it out quicker, I haven't seen enough to say much more than that.

We must be watching different games then. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

We must be watching different games then. 

There's a video of every screen/swing pass we threw last year that some poor soul put together on youtube. I think my gut reaction was the same as yours, but rewatching games it looks to me less on AM than it seemed. And we haven't seen a ton of attempts from Luke yet. I could be totally be wrong, I know I'm in the minority on this. But it seems like a lose-lose deal for a lot of fans. If it's blocked poorly, AM should have put it somewhere else. If it's dropped or not adjusted too, he threw it too hard. If a guy blows it up, he put too much touch on it.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Undone said:

If I have my data correct:

Luke has played fewer minutes than Adrian and has committed 3 turnovers. Adrian has committed 2 turnovers.

And now, a photo of an apple turnover:

appleturnover-2c610d74140d400996e5b88077

I said for a third year experienced quarterback, turnovers are my biggest complain about Martinez.

18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Would you say that for a third year under Scott Frost, some of the same issues of discipline and execution persist? 

An excellent trap question.

Except it's not.

I would expect a player like Jaimes to have the fewest penalties and mistakes on the OL.  He's an upperclassman in his third year with the same coaching.

My expectations would be lower for Piper or Benhart.

As was covered elsewhere, I absolutely expect more issues with execution the more freshman and redshirt freshmen there are on the field at the same time. 

This is a key why the defense is out performing the offense right now.

So while it's the same director in year 3, it really isn't close to the same cast on the offensive side of the ball.

• Plus1 1

One thing we did learn is that Scott does not have a bias in favor of Adrian. We learned that he is able to look for help no matter which position commands the assessment. We also learned that he wasn't necessarily wrong in his assessment. Luke is not head and tails better than Adrian and Scott just sticking with his guy. Scott has been accused of this a lot since coming here at various positions and I think he has shown again and again, the best players are on the field, nobody is night and day better and sitting on the bench due to whatever nefarious factors people dream up. We also learned that while Scott can objectively look at QB play, we objectively have 2 average QB's in year 3 and there might be some shade to be thrown there if we are looking for new places to throw it. 

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

One thing we did learn is that Scott does not have a bias in favor of Adrian. We learned that he is able to look for help no matter which position commands the assessment. We also learned that he wasn't necessarily wrong in his assessment. Luke is not head and tails better than Adrian and Scott just sticking with his guy. Scott has been accused of this a lot since coming here at various positions and I think he has shown again and again, the best players are on the field, nobody is night and day better and sitting on the bench due to whatever nefarious factors people dream up. We also learned that while Scott can objectively look at QB play, we objectively have 2 average QB's in year 3 and there might be some shade to be thrown there if we are looking for new places to throw it. 

I think this was very hard for Frost as he values hard work and loyalty. He likely hadn’t had to make a decision like this before. 

see Kade Warner. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Farms said:

Luke had a pretty good day against Ohio St. himself... I guess to me stats don't always paint the whole picture.  In my opinion Luke made some plays Saturday where he had just enough speed to make the play and I'm not sure Martinez would have. Those plays kept drives alive and led to scores.  And for the record I agree that Luke gets a lot of credit for a positive outcome when the defense did him a lot of favors. I don't think we've seen the last of AM.  It wouldn't even shock me if he started next week.

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

So if Luke is a noticeable upgrade in some areas, yet we did more poorly overall against a worse defense, it would stand to reason that he must be a significant down-grade in other areas for the offense to perform that much worse.

I agree that it sure seems like Luke is quicker and faster.  But that doesn't explain why Martinez has better rushing stats (from the QB position).

Luke may be better at throwing certain kinds of passes.  But Martinez completed 80% of his passes against Ohio State.  One good game, one bad game.

I'm not trying to argue for Martinez as the starter.  I'm just saying I don't think it's as obvious as some people like to make it seem.  I think the win significantly skews the perception of the performance.  If the defense doesn't come up with the scoop and score and Penn State is able to kick a FG at the end to win, there would be plenty of questions about why we couldn't even put up 300 yards of offense when we put up 442 the week before against a much better defense.  Granted, Luke did put up a decent amount of those yards against Northwestern but that's still a pretty big drop-off.

• Plus1 5