Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With all of the discussions about correct reads by Luke, I've said before that perhaps "quick and decisive actions" are because he doesn't go through progressions.  First read, rip a pass or run.  Could also be that it was his first start, against a team better than their record, going against an 11 man box.  Time will tell.  I think against teams without such a stout front 7 he could/will look better.  

Thoughts on who starts this weekend?

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

By pounding the rock, do you mean sending Wan'dale Robinson into the line 28 times? 

Yes, of course

Lol. I hate Wandale in the RB spot. Hate it. Maybe Mills has been dinged all along but  I cannot understand why Wandale is being used the way he is. Granted I don’t really know a lot about FB, but I do know I cringe even I see if there play after play. Not that I think he does a bad job or anything I just getting a foreboding feeling. 

my guess is that Frost wants the best talent on the field at all times. 

• Plus1 2

As an addendum to my post a couple pages ago, I wonder how much the WR exodus was a factor in Walters being fired. I mean we've had attrition elsewhere in the last few years, but WR seems to have been hit much harder than other groups. I always kinda wondered if Walters was fired more for his performance as OC or as the WR coach, or both. Did he just rub too many players the wrong way, causing them to leave?

2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

But, no hold its a completion. Cant forget he had a free blizter in his face also, which is the real problem here. Few, in any qbs make it past 1 or 2 here

Eh, it's pretty self-fulfilling to assume something different happens to make it seem better for what you wanted to happen.

The defender was covering him that well that he was holding him means he wasn't open and the ball should have gone somewhere else.

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get that making reads quickly is tough to do, but that’s supposed to be McCaffrey’s strength (as a fast blinker). Falk was wide open, and even Allen settled nicely in a spot in the zone defense. Warner was the most covered of any of the 3 receivers crossing over the middle, yet Luke stayed on him from the snap of the ball.  If anything Falk should be the WR expected to come open because he’s the guy dragging underneath Allen and Warner, and that type of play is designed to get that guy open. I understand there was pressure, but Luke did a poor job of anticipating Falk coming open. 

The third down pass play to ice the game I think was the same concept. We had two crossers settle against zones underneath wide open and Luke threw it to the over that was well-covered. That felt like a misread.

I hate breaking down QB play this way, though. Just because we can see a guy open on the TV doesn't mean the quarterback automatically made a mistake. Sometimes that's not the progression, sometimes there's pressure or pre-snap stuff, sometimes it's just physically impossible for a QB to the get the ball to a guy. No one outside of the building really knows. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Yes, of course

Lol. I hate Wandale in the RB spot. Hate it. Maybe Mills has been dinged all along but  I cannot understand why Wandale is being used the way he is. Granted I don’t really know a lot about FB, but I do know I cringe even I see if there play after play. Not that I think he does a bad job or anything I just getting a foreboding feeling. 

my guess is that Frost wants the best talent on the field at all times. 

Dedrick was on Instagram live after the game and said he hurt his knee on the first play of the game. Hopefully he's either healed or some of the other backs can be ready with a week of practice so that we don't have to subject Wandale to that again lol

1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

Dedrick was on Instagram live after the game and said he hurt his knee on the first play of the game. Hopefully he's either healed or some of the other backs can be ready with a week of practice so that we don't have to subject Wandale to that again lol

Even if he is still hurt you can't keep running Wan'Dale 15 times for 3 yards per, that is beyond stupid. Your 215 lb freshman RB can do the same and you don't risk hurting your best player. Find better ways to get him the ball with short throws, sweeps, anything else but stop asking him to run between the tackles and take all those direct hits.

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Even if he is still hurt you can't keep running Wan'Dale 15 times for 3 yards per, that is beyond stupid. Your 215 lb freshman RB can do the same and you don't risk hurting your best player. Find better ways to get him the ball with short throws, sweeps, anything else but stop asking him to run between the tackles and take all those direct hits.

I agree with not wanting him to run it 15+ times, but he was a face mask away from breaking one of the later runs for a 35 yard TD. A 5 yard average sounds a lot better, and he would have had that if you make a tiny change to one play. Gotta have the opportunities for one of them to pop, but I do agree I'd like more of the opportunities to be outside. 

29 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I really wish the staff would use Scott more and he would emerge as a good option.  As good as Wan'Dale is, I believe the offense will be better when we have a true RB on the field with him.

• Plus1 3

Just a thought that popped into my head... and a big hypothetical.

What if we win 75-100% of the rest of our games, and Northwestern plays Ohio State in the B1G championship game? It'll definitely make me wonder if I was too critical of Martinez, although on the other hand it would mean McCaffrey did a good job.

I would also like to see Scott in at r/b more. I would like to see more of our freshmen getting more playing time. This is a unique opportunity for them and Neb. Their still freshmen next year. Unless their strength and size isn't ready for the pounding, it takes to play at this level, give them the learning opportunity. We have some very good freshmen coming up, and the playing time would be a bonus for next year. I want to win every game as much as the next fan, but this year is almost a throw away season. Win's and loses still count, but so does experience gained, for next season. I think next year is when we can start to see Neb moving toward taking over the western side, of the B1G. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Just a thought that popped into my head... and a big hypothetical.

What if we win 75-100% of the rest of our games, and Northwestern plays Ohio State in the B1G championship game? It'll definitely make me wonder if I was too critical of Martinez, although on the other hand it would mean McCaffrey did a good job.

Opponent aside, Martinez just looked bad against NW. He overthrew a number of passes, missed open receivers, etc. 

I still think Martinez has the higher ceiling of the two, and I'm not convinced that Luke is the guy going forward. I'll be real curious to see what direction Frost goes in the off-season if Luke doesn't show any improvement from where he is now. If he can't throw the ball down the field more than 15-20 yards, how could he possibly be the future at the position?

• Plus1 2