Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We needed a spark at Northwestern, but Luke isn’t the answer full time. 

The kid can run and is dynamic, but he isn’t a natural throwing the ball. He throws across his body, unable to see linebackers, and doesn’t have the arm strength to make the deep throws in tight windows. 

Luke missed big throws today. Multiple big plays. Does AM make them? Honestly, not sure, but he certainly is more equipped physically from a throwing perspective.

Our QB play has been subpar for two years now and it is 100% holding back the offense. 

If we stick with Luke; just run the veer and commit to it until he can figure out how to read coverages in a transitional setup. 

• Plus1 1

Win or lose, I am glad to see Luke play another game.  Helps to evaluate during a throwaway season.

Having said that, AM2 should be QB1.  Luke needs to be Wandale 2.0

Get Luke and Wandale the ball in space preferably.  Neither should be QB or RB unless it's a few design plays. 

Because these 3 dudes are our best athletes and they need to see the field.  Get them involved playing together.   If it was me, I know I would find a way. 

• Plus1 5
39 minutes ago, admo said:

Win or lose, I am glad to see Luke play another game.  Helps to evaluate during a throwaway season.

Having said that, AM2 should be QB1.  Luke needs to be Wandale 2.0

Get Luke and Wandale the ball in space preferably.  Neither should be QB or RB unless it's a few design plays. 

Because these 3 dudes are our best athletes and they need to see the field.  Get them involved playing together.   If it was me, I know I would find a way. 

So would any other experienced HC. Scheme with the guys you have, not the ones you want.....

Yeah, I think you go back to Martinez at QB personally. Luke just isn't accurate (plus other things) enough to be a QB.  But, as for Luke, move him at WR. Like tomorrow. Throw footballs and run routes with him all day every day and I think he could be one of Nebraska's best WR's by the end of his college career (assuming Martinez or any of our future QB's can throw further than 10-15 yards down field). From watching Luke play, to me this is a no brainer. Kid is too talented to be an okay QB when he can be a great WR. 

Martinez needs to take the pressure off himself and let the ball rip. At this point, he's got nothing to lose, because that's all they've been doing anyway.

• Plus1 2

I have been hard on Martinez and still do not think he is that particularly good still.  However, he looks way more comfortable in the pocket than LM.  If Frost and Co. could teach him more accuracy and quicker decision making on when to throw the ball, he can be a serviceable QB on a winning team until NU gets the dynamic throw first QB and things can then take off. 

• Plus1 2

46 minutes ago, lowkeyhusker said:

Say AM & LM are not the answer at QB.. has anyone followed Logan Smothers? How does he compare skill set wise to them? I know he way was highly recruited but i hope he is not just another freak athlete that can kinda throw a ball.

From some tape I’ve seen, Haarberg looks like he is a legit passer.

I was more impressed with Smothers than McCaffrey based on his film coming out of high school. He looked like a more complete QB. Luke is not the long-term answer at QB. AM can be serviceable if he uses this time on the bench to observe what he was doing wrong out there. 

• Fire 1

I dont think it really matters who starts at quarterback if frost is calling the plays. If the game plan sucks the game wont go well? Why is luke who lets just say isn't a polished passer dropping back in the pocket as much as he is? They should be running the ball like 80 percent of the time with luke as the starter and when they do pass it should be rpo. Auburn went  12-2 one year when Malzahn started a f#&%ing cornerback at quarterback. If you have an electric athlete back there game plan accordingly luke shouldn't be throwing more than 15 passes a game.

• Plus1 3