Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McCaffrey's grade vs Illinois was basically the same as Martinez vs Northwestern per Pro Football Focus.  I don't think those two defenses faced are equal.

PFF charged McCaffrey with two of the sacks for holding the ball too long (as opposed to charging them to an OLineman getting beat).  

McCaffrey was 0-4 on passes traveling more than 20 yards downfield.  He was 3-7 on passes 10-20 yards and one was picked.  

For the year, McCaffrey is 2-7 over 20 yards and 7-15 from 10-20.  Also, he's only 10-24 over the middle.

We are simply not a threat to throw the ball down the field and that lets defenses over-play short passes and the running game.

• Plus1 6

I know the whole team is a mess right now, but I don't see how Luke is the best option to start at QB.  After Northwestern, I was in the camp thinking that it was time for Luke to get a shot.  However, in the 2 games since, Luke hasn't shown me anything which would make him a better option than Adrian.

1) Luke''s lack of arm strength and inaccuracy doesn't give the offense any ability to pass downfield.  Teams will sit in zone defenses and dare him to throw the ball into windows which he can't fit the ball.

2) I thought Luke's strength was his quick decision-making but he is slow to deliver short passes, especially while he is on the run.  There are simple passes to tight ends which should be easy gains, but he is late to pass the ball,.

3) Luke is too small to effectively see over the line of scrimmage and see the coverage.  That's why he's bouncing his feet all over the pocket, because he's trying to find windows through the o-line to see the receivers.

• Plus1 1

My thoughts on the qb situation.

Adrian looks more comfortable in the pocket as a passer. I would put him as the starter against Iowa. When he starts getting the yips you put in Luke for a series or a special package type of deal once or twice a game. I think they need to roll Luke out and tell him who to pass to like he did against Iowa and Indiana last year. Get him out of the pocket and allow him the option to run if a throw is not there. Use Luke in the Taysom Hill role until he can prove that he can throw a consistent deep ball. Maybe put Verdu on the field to calm the qbs down when something goes wrong? 

We also need to tell both QBs to check down more. I have seen wide open rbs with many yards in front of them where we take a sack or throw and incompletion. Sometimes we miss these simple throws which is concerning.

Another play we just don't use is the jet sweep with Wandale, Betts, Fleming, or other speedsters. Even Alante Brown or Ramir Johnson could run it. I want to see more of them in motion because Kade Warner is not getting by anyone. Zavier Betts needs to get the ball more as he is getting open on routes. I think we also abandoned the run game yesterday when Scott was getting 5 or so yards a carry. We need to go with plays that work and make other teams adjust. 

• Plus1 3
On 11/16/2020 at 11:39 AM, Mavric said:

The overall results - especially as compared to expectations - make a lot of difference in how people evaluate individual performances.

Our offense and QB play were at best the same and probably worse than it was in the first two games.  Against a worse team.  But we won.  So now people are more finding all the good thing to support the belief that we needed a QB change and ignoring evidence to the contrary because they like the overall result better.

C'est la vie.

Quoting for truth.

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If Frost trots out McCaffrey again at QB I might just lose what remaining faith I have in his ability to turn this around.

I understand the sentiment but in reality most of Husker Nation felt Luke should get the start against Illinois.  I thought Luke should get the chance again.  That experiment should be done...  roll Adrian back out there against Iowa and get Luke on the field in other positions often.  

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If Frost trots out McCaffrey again at QB I might just lose what remaining faith I have in his ability to turn this around.

Although I wanted Adrian to come out and start the 2nd half against Illinois because I thought he gave NU the best chance to win the game, I can see why Luke was kept in there until garbage time.  Frost needed to keep evaluating Luke and whether he can run the offense.  IMO, that is a resounding no.  I am not saying Adrian is a super awesome QB, but he is the best choice at this time.  If Adrian doesn't start against Iowa, I will be very disappointed.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I understand the sentiment but in reality most of Husker Nation felt Luke should get the start against Illinois.  I thought Luke should get the chance again.  That experiment should be done...  roll Adrian back out there against Iowa and get Luke on the field in other positions often.  

Luke is a gadget player, who should be used to enhance the offense, not build an offense around.

• Plus1 2