Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke is a gadget player, who should be used to enhance the offense, not build an offense around.

He should just be our starting RB at this point.

While I was hopeful he was the clear starter after NW, I agree with all of your points.  The ironic thing is, if you combine the 2 QBs in what they do well, that's exactly what we need lol.  AM needs to be more decisive with his throws and run up the field quicker when the opp is there... Luke needs to learn the concept of a pocket presence and not getting happy feet.

I was on the Luke train but its clear why other schools did not give him a serious look at QB.  

I say he should be our RB because that look of 2 AM and him in the backfield truly gave OSU something to think about.  Why in the hell did we show this within minutes of the season yet haven't had a similar look since?  Its clear that Frosty isnt giving up the QB read play...I'm baffled why he isn't scheming formations with both of them back there.

Luke is too good of an athlete, as has been shown, to not be on the field.  But its clear, QB is not the right spot for him now or long term (assuming he has NFL aspirations)

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

He should just be our starting RB at this point.

While I was hopeful he was the clear starter after NW, I agree with all of your points.  The ironic thing is, if you combine the 2 QBs in what they do well, that's exactly what we need lol.  AM needs to be more decisive with his throws and run up the field quicker when the opp is there... Luke needs to learn the concept of a pocket presence and not getting happy feet.

I was on the Luke train but its clear why other schools did not give him a serious look at QB.  

I say he should be our RB because that look of 2 AM and him in the backfield truly gave OSU something to think about.  Why in the hell did we show this within minutes of the season yet haven't had a similar look since?  Its clear that Frosty isnt giving up the QB read play...I'm baffled why he isn't scheming formations with both of them back there.

Luke is too good of an athlete, as has been shown, to not be on the field.  But its clear, QB is not the right spot for him now or long term (assuming he has NFL aspirations)

Luke is a swiss-army knife/leatherman tool where he can be used to do a lot of little items, but he shouldn't be asked to replace the full table of power tools.  If he is hell-bent on playing QB, then his best option to do that is to transfer to Northern Colorado and play for his dad (unless his brother, Dylan, beats him to that role).

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke is a swiss-army knife/leatherman tool where he can be used to do a lot of little items, but he shouldn't be asked to replace the full table of power tools.  If he is hell-bent on playing QB, then his best option to do that is to transfer to Northern Colorado and play for his dad (unless his brother, Dylan, beats him to that role).

Or to have more time than a year and a half to work on being a full-time QB. Yes, there are plenty of freshman QBs having success, but I'd bet most of them have been QBs for a lot longer and have more consistency around them.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Or to have more time than a year and a half to work on being a full-time QB. Yes, there are plenty of freshman QBs having success, but I'd bet most of them have been QBs for a lot longer and have more consistency around them.

I get what you are saying, but in that case, Luke can''t be the starting QB right now, and I have concerns about him being the backup.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, I would hope the concept of reality sets in at some point.  It doesn't seem like he can throw the ball 30 yards downfield, consistently.

I agree, he shouldn't be asked to replace the table of power tools, but I feel like our tool shed at RB has been empty since Ameer left the program.  

Wan'dale cant be the go to back, it be great to see mccaffrey get 10 touches, wan-dale 8-10 and then whatever RBs have a pulse and can suit up

I didnt want Martinez replaced at all. Where the freshman Martinez went none of us will ever know but i don't think this is on Martinez or McCaffery. A lot of this has to be on Frost and Co. Where is the unique play calling? Remember 2 years ago after the Ohio State game? Frost had Ohio State guessing the entire game and our offense was moving at will. There is zero creativity. ZERO. Seems like we have guys doing things they shouldn't be (Warner jet sweeps, Hickman coming motion to lead block) I get the first drive is scripted but can Frost not get out of his own head and just call plays. 

We need play makers. We are 1-3. Ill take the learning curves of Betts, Fleming, Brown at WR. There are some points in a game where it seriously looks like we have 5 tight ends in the game. Defenses aren't scared of any of those guys and that kills our running game. I also thought Marvin Scott III looked good. Bruiser that can wear down the defense. Did he even get a touch in the 2nd half? 

Start Martinez. Get McCaffery in the game in certain situations and build an identity on offense. Did anyone watch the Cincinnati-UCF game? Quick throws to speed guys. YAC all over the place. Defense moves up and they go over the top. Its a beautiful thing.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

I didnt want Martinez replaced at all. Where the freshman Martinez went none of us will ever know but i don't think this is on Martinez or McCaffery. A lot of this has to be on Frost and Co. Where is the unique play calling? Remember 2 years ago after the Ohio State game? Frost had Ohio State guessing the entire game and our offense was moving at will. There is zero creativity. ZERO. Seems like we have guys doing things they shouldn't be (Warner jet sweeps, Hickman coming motion to lead block) I get the first drive is scripted but can Frost not get out of his own head and just call plays. 

We need play makers. We are 1-3. Ill take the learning curves of Betts, Fleming, Brown at WR. There are some points in a game where it seriously looks like we have 5 tight ends in the game. Defenses aren't scared of any of those guys and that kills our running game. I also thought Marvin Scott III looked good. Bruiser that can wear down the defense. Did he even get a touch in the 2nd half? 

Start Martinez. Get McCaffery in the game in certain situations and build an identity on offense. Did anyone watch the Cincinnati-UCF game? Quick throws to speed guys. YAC all over the place. Defense moves up and they go over the top. Its a beautiful thing.  

Bingo! Luke is talented but I don't see him as a QB1 for us yet and both QBs have suffered from some head scratching play calls so far this year. 

1 hour ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

You changed my mind.. good post

• Haha 1

Frost specifically called Luke the future in his presser, and I think he can get there. I just legitimately don't know that I can buy the "we're playing whoever gives us the best chance to win each game" argument.

The first play "fumble" is a great example, that's a terrible decision that freshmen make. Adrian made an almost identical mistake his first year against Iowa, and his wasn't even close to a forward pass so arguably worse. But he really doesn't make those kind of mistakes any more, and I don't see enough of a difference in other areas to claim living with those '2nd career start' mistakes is our best chance at winning. At the end of the day QB didn't cost us the game by itself, a lot of things did. But I think there's a pretty good argument better QB play alone turns that into a shootout where we at least have a shot.

• Fire 1

Going back and watching Martinez's drive against Illinois and you can actively seem him working his reads. I noticed it earlier in the year too, but it seemed more intentional Saturday. Now that's garbage time and he obviously wasn't playing with the stress of a normal game. However, he was obviously working through is reads, nothing there, run and it was quickly too. All day you could see Luke lock on receivers, miss obviously open guys and then just start running. I think you have to give Martinez the start or at least significant snaps just to see if the benching somehow snapped him out of whatever was going on mentally. Maybe it was enough time for him to realize he just has to go play.

• Fire 1

Adrian is the better passing QB and it's obvious he gives us a bigger playbook to work with but he's slow to make decisions and needs more touch on his pass. McCaffrey has the quicker feet and decision making, but lacks the long bomb passing that we need to stretch the field with our younger wide receivers. I'm starting Adrian from here on out and bringing McCaffrey in to do some wildcat or get more speed and weapons on the field. I'm also bringing Adrian under center to take care of the snapping issues cause that's killing us along with dumba$$ penalties. 

The play calling has been terrible and how Scott III didn't see the field much if at all in the 2nd is mind blowing! Put him in the I formation and he'll get 6 yards a carry cause he's a beast!

And I'm sorry upper classman, we appreciate your time here, but I'm playing the talent. You wanna play BEAT THE TALENT IN PRACTICE! 

• Fire 1

The only one who improved under Frost and Verduzco was Milton.....Maybe that was the outlier for Verduzco.  Maybe Frost had more influence there than at NU.  Lower expectations, less players, less attention etc.....The other ones who succeeded were coaches by Frost sans Verduzco.....AM was better freshman year.  I know he got beaten down soph year, but even this year looks suspect....year 3 with Verduzco...Just trying to find an answer or excuse...

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke is a gadget player, who should be used to enhance the offense, not build an offense around.

I saw Luke play in high school at Valor for 2+ yrs. 

as  a receiver, kick returner, part-time QB, he always made plays. electric. 

When I saw him play a full season at QB I liked what I saw, he beat our Creek team for the championship making awesome plays. 

thing is, he looks exactly like the same player... he’s better, but so is his new competition. Running around making plays all chaotic and scrambling and s#!t just won’t work over a 10 game season or a 65 plays a game. 

he’s so good at football and a great athlete but he’s not directing, fully, an offense against B1G defenses for 8-12 games a year. 

he should def touch the ball 10-14 times a game but not 60-70 as a QB. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1