Who should be our starting QB?

Moiraine

Who should be our starting QB?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it surprising to anyone else that this is such an issue with a supposed innovative offensive mind?

AM should be the QB, and you have LM who can line up at any skill position and be a threat to run, receive, and throw. Obviously the regression of Martinez is the reason we have this thread, but where’s the creativity?  Why aren’t they on the field together most of the time?

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Is it surprising to anyone else that this is such an issue with a supposed innovative offensive mind?

AM should be the QB, and you have LM who can line up at any skill position and be a threat to run, receive, and throw. Obviously the regression of Martinez is the reason we have this thread, but where’s the creativity?  Why aren’t they on the field together most of the time?

Luke can be a great QB he just needs more polishing and time. I say go with 2AM and put in some packages for Luke to keep the defense honest. 

I agree that he needs to see the field in some capacity. What I really want to see is all the trick plays or some creative plays against Iowa. I think a good play would be a qb option with Martinez and McCaffrey. Pitch to Luke and have him throw or fake it to Luke and have AM run. It doesn't have to be that play but a play similar to what Rutgers ran in OT against Michigan is the kind of play calling we have lacked. The creativity is not there. I am not saying it has to be every play but a solid 5 or so plays to try to create a spark. 

One other play I like is a jet sweep with a speedster. Wisconsin runs that all the dang time. We should run it 5 or so times a game and then we can actually catch a defense off when we have a WR run in motion. If the QBs cannot run certain plays we have to get creative. I like the levels concept play where we roll a qb out and pass either to the rb, TE, or WR deep. The qb literally just looks and throws to the open man. 

26 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

God we suck right now

On O, I'd go with 2 back sets, 3 TE's. We are not going to throw deep, at least get some beef on that line and punch back. 

D-I'd run a 5 man front.  Send JoJo every down.  I don't think they'll go all air raid.  I think little Ferentz will try to embarrass NU by running and running and running....Show him a look he's not prepared for...

No one gives us a shot in this game.  I like our chances.

McCaffrey has accounted for 7 turnovers so far in four games. If he starts tomorrow, he has to get that under control.

In tomorrow's game, I don't even really care if he doesn't complete any decent downfield passes; just don't turn the ball over and make good decisions.

And even if it takes triple reverse pass plays, for f***'s sake -- Get the ball into Wan'Dale's hands in space!

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

McCaffrey has accounted for 7 turnovers so far in four games. If he starts tomorrow, he has to get that under control.

In tomorrow's game, I don't even really care if he doesn't complete any decent downfield passes; just don't turn the ball over and make good decisions.

And even if it takes triple reverse pass plays, for f***'s sake -- Get the ball into Wan'Dale's hands in space!

Across the middle, on a slant, into triple coverage does nothing....Dude is a playmaker.  In space.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Undone said:

If McCaffrey starts I will turn the TV off. I will of course turn it right back on, but that would cement in my mind that Frost is too stubborn for his own good. Luke isn't a college QB, and I don't think he ever will be. Opposing DC's are salivating if he is starting.  Iowa would be jumping routes and having someone spy when he runs.  It would not be pretty.  We have a chance to beat Iowa with Adrian at QB, we have none with Luke.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If McCaffrey starts I will turn the TV off. I will of course turn it right back on, but that would cement in my mind that Frost is too stubborn for his own good. Luke isn't a college QB, and I don't think he ever will be. Opposing DC's are salivating if he is starting.  Iowa would be jumping routes and having someone spy when he runs.  It would not be pretty.  We have a chance to beat Iowa with Adrian at QB, we have none with Luke.

54 minutes ago, lo country said:

Across the middle, on a slant, into triple coverage does nothing....Dude is a playmaker.  In space.

57 minutes ago, Undone said:

Coach Frost recognizes the gravity of this game, not only for the rivalry, but also the season. I'm confident he will break prior tendencies in order to put his best players on the field. That means Martinez at quarterback and Luke and Wandale at running back/slot receiver/all purpose back. That also means we will see a shakeup on the offensive line. It is obscene that our most gifted blocker has been watching from afar all season. Expect Kade Warner to finally get his chance to anchor that line against the Hawks.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

McCafferey or Martinez as the starter doesn't make much difference. They've showed the same flashes and made the same mistakes. 

Unless the team has an opinion on this. If the team thinks one QB deserves it and Frost is making the wrong decision, that's where the whole program goes South. 

Also, if we spend too much time with a dual QB backfield and otherwise just shove the ball to Wan'dale any way possible, I don't see why any good RB or WR would want to play here. 

• Plus1 1

I don't think it makes much difference either.  People love to focus on the QB when currently Nebraska's problems reach much much deeper than who is under center.  The sad thing is I don't know if I feel any more confident of 2AM is the starter.  I'm much more worried about our offensive line and our defense not to mention our in game coaching decisions.  Those issues imo are the biggest things that have impacted our losing record this season.

There are too many serious issues imo besides QB that fans should really be worried about.  LM is green so mistakes don't really bother me as much as if he were in his 3rd year.  Bad snaps, terrible pass protection, terrible play calls and in game decisions both offensively and defensively.  Those are the things I'm most worried about and have been the hardest thing to watch this year.

If it were me I might go with 2AM simply due to experience today.  Whomever starts if he's not doing so well just go with the other guy.  Also if LM gets the start please for the love of god don't let him get near a record for carries by a QB before the 1st half is even over.  Come on Frost/Lubick...

Lastly if Jurgens has a single bad snap today please for the love of God put someone else in at center....