Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

The o-line didnt impress me yesterday. Talk to

me when they put multiple OSU performances in a row. Ty Robinson impresses on d-line. Who else? Im not seeing it. 

You act like NW isn't stout on the front 7. They absolutely are. We were missing one of our best yesterday so that makes a difference. Benhart-Piper-Jurgens-Farniok-Jamies are going to give us one of the best lines we've seen in 5 years and you can't convince me otherwise. Casey Rodgers is looking like an animal out there if you haven't noticed. We have some dudes on the D line and they are young. Linebacker as well. Thats where it starts in this league. 

I'm not saying we are great, but your assertions that there is no indicators for improvement are vastly exaggerated. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

You act like NW isn't stout on the front 7. They absolutely are. We were missing one of our best yesterday so that makes a difference. Benhart-Piper-Jurgens-Farniok-Jamies are going to give us one of the best lines we've seen in 5 years and you can't convince me otherwise. Casey Rodgers is looking like an animal out there if you haven't noticed. We have some dudes on the D line and they are young. Linebacker as well. Thats where it starts in this league. 

I'm not saying we are great, but your assertions that there is no indicators for improvement are vastly exaggerated. 

Next week is 0-2 Nebraska vs 0-3 Penn State. I can’t wait to see who wants it the least. 

Luke plays whole game- we win. The more Adrian plays the better chance we lose. Sure we will have freshman mistakes with Luke. But Adrian is a junior and he is not the guy - he had his shot. What’s the worst that happens? We lose with Luke? Take this year and prep Luke for being the guy. Or say f#&% them all and turn it over to smothers 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Next week is 0-2 Nebraska vs 0-3 Penn State. I can’t wait to see who wants it the least. 

Luke plays whole game- we win. The more Adrian plays the better chance we lose. Sure we will have freshman mistakes with Luke. But Adrian is a junior and he is not the guy - he had his shot. What’s the worst that happens? We lose with Luke? Take this year and prep Luke for being the guy. Or say f#&% them all and turn it over to smothers 

The skill positions are underperformed right now but for all of the yammering for years and years about the trenches its finally getting better there it seems and its doom and gloom for another reason. Obviously we aren't that good of a football team right now. We probably should be better than we are right now at this point in Frosts tenure. But to say we are showing no signs or indicators of improvement is just flat out false. We are better in the trenches this year than we have been since Bo was coach at the very least. We were way way way behind in that department when Frost arrived. Its gotten much better and that is the foundation in this league. Yes better QB play would be great, but at the end of the day you have to stop the run and run the ball to do well in this league. We are building that foundation. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

The skill positions are underperformed right now but for all of the yammering for years and years about the trenches its finally getting better there it seems and its doom and gloom for another reason. Obviously we aren't that good of a football team right now. We probably should be better than we are right now at this point in Frosts tenure. But to say we are showing no signs or indicators of improvement is just flat out false. We are better in the trenches this year than we have been since Bo was coach at the very least. We were way way way behind in that department when Frost arrived. Its gotten much better and that is the foundation in this league. Yes better QB play would be great, but at the end of the day you have to stop the run and run the ball to do well in this league. We are building that foundation. 

I don't really have any issues with your post, but I would slightly change the first sentence.  I would say the erratic QB play has not allowed our skill positions to get going.  I think we are going to get there, but Frost is going to have to make a hard call on benching Martinez , and I am not confident he is going to do that, hopefully I am wrong.   

Like you mentioned above regarding the OLine and DLine, this is the best it has looked in years, and so young.  I am super excited about this. Its nice to see a bunch of in-shape athletes at these positions, instead of a bunch of out of shape fat assess.     

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Yup. That game was on Frost and AM. 

What concerns me is that Luke has shown a tendency to put the ball on the deck and turn the ball over himself.  With that said, I want to see Luke start a few games to see what he can do when not being inserted to jolt a lame AM. 

The offense has looked nothing like Oregon and UCF when the QB sits in the pocket and gets greedy looking for more or throws a late ball allowing the DB to recover and make a play. When Luke was out there, minus the failed flea flicker set of downs, he was finding those quick routes which moved the chains or he was decisive and took off for positive years. 

This is where I’m at 100%

2 hours ago, CAHusker said:

I don't really have any issues with your post, but I would slightly change the first sentence.  I would say the erratic QB play has not allowed our skill positions to get going.  I think we are going to get there, but Frost is going to have to make a hard call on benching Martinez , and I am not confident he is going to do that, hopefully I am wrong.   

Like you mentioned above regarding the OLine and DLine, this is the best it has looked in years, and so young.  I am super excited about this. Its nice to see a bunch of in-shape athletes at these positions, instead of a bunch of out of shape fat assess.     

I don't disagree, I just was trying to focus on the line discussion. I do think we need to give it over to McCaffrey for at least a game and see. I definitely gave Martinez alot of leeway but at this point Luke is more of a gamer. We need to let him do his thing and see if we are better for it. Consistent QB play would do alot for us. It wouldn't fix everything, but it would help. I think it would also help if we had our best athletes on the field most of the time rather than some of the time. 

The players in the locker room know where this thing is going.  Dedrick Mills said it best himself:

"“Luke was a good spark because Luke is more, to me, when it comes to tempo, he can move the ball more productive and faster,” Mills said. “He looks to the sideline, gets back, everybody is set up and he snaps the ball quick, so it’s just all about getting the defense on their toes and making them tired, and that’s what Luke brought to the game.”"

I thought this offense was supposed to be lightening quick.  I've not seen anything over the last two years that would indicate this offense can move much faster than they do currently.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

The players in the locker room know where this thing is going.  Dedrick Mills said it best himself:

"“Luke was a good spark because Luke is more, to me, when it comes to tempo, he can move the ball more productive and faster,” Mills said. “He looks to the sideline, gets back, everybody is set up and he snaps the ball quick, so it’s just all about getting the defense on their toes and making them tired, and that’s what Luke brought to the game.”"

I thought this offense was supposed to be lightening quick.  I've not seen anything over the last two years that would indicate this offense can move much faster than they do currently.

Those same players in the locker room also voted Martinez a team captain.

.....not everything is as easy as it seems.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

This is one of the most puzzling things of the Frost Era. Offense is supposed to be his thing, but this offense looks nothing like his UCF or Oregon offenses. At first I thought the O Line was the problem, including Jurgens last year, but this year's line figures to be one of the best in a decade, and we have 30 points in two games. That should be a good half under Frost's offense.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is one of the most puzzling things of the Frost Era. Offense is supposed to be his thing, but this offense looks nothing like his UCF or Oregon offenses. At first I thought the O Line was the problem, including Jurgens last year, but this year's line figures to be one of the best in a decade, and we have 30 points in two games. That should be a good half under Frost's offense.

I think it's a combination of things. If you go back and watch our first year under Frost, we tried to go fast but penalties and such seemed to hurt us.