Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

IMO recruiting is way more about the recruiters than the team performance. It's certainly easier to recruit when you're really good, but can always sell that the team needs a talent like them when we're not performing well. We've gotten talented recruits under Frost, and we'll continue to do so if the coaches do a good job recruiting.

I agree to a certain extent. But at some point, you cant sell recruits on what happened at Oregon and UCF. They will see what you have been for 3,4,5 years and say thats what you are. Which is not good. 

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I disagree. We might have better recruiting star averages but we've looked untalented for years with last year looking the worst I can ever remember. And the talent we do have is mostly young/inexperienced.

How much of that comes down to the players versus coaching though? Looking at the defense, our linebackers were pitiful last year. This year we have the same guys but they appear to be immensely improved. Sure they probably got stronger in the weight room and maybe got a bit faster but the Jimmys and Joes didn't change there. Credit therefore should go to coaching and development. Unfortunately, I cannot point to a position group on the offensive side where we have demonstrated significant improvement over last year. 

The talent is what it is. Northwestern has found a way to win with what they have, same goes for Purdue. At some point, the coaches need to stop over thinking and be willing to adapt.

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

How much of that comes down to the players versus coaching though? Looking at the defense, our linebackers were pitiful last year. This year we have the same guys but they appear to be immensely improved. Sure they probably got stronger in the weight room and maybe got a bit faster but the Jimmys and Joes didn't change there. Credit therefore should go to coaching and development. Unfortunately, I cannot point to a position group on the offensive side where we have demonstrated significant improvement over last year. 

The talent is what it is. Northwestern has found a way to win with what they have, same goes for Purdue. At some point, the coaches need to stop over thinking and be willing to adapt.

Hard to say what's coaching and what's talent. But IMO the talent has been lacking so it's hard to say it's the coaching. As for LB, both Alex Davis and Muhammad Barry started last year against Iowa, so half the LB core has been replaced.

NW definitely gets more out their players than other teams. Purdue won when they got some difference makers.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Hard to say what's coaching and what's talent. But IMO the talent has been lacking so it's hard to say it's the coaching. As for LB, both Alex Davis and Muhammad Barry started last year against Iowa, so half the LB core has been replaced.

NW definitely gets more out their players than other teams. Purdue won when they got some difference makers.

The roster has turned over since Riley, the talent argument falls back on Frost & Co. I agree that Riley did a poor job of recruiting. However, if the talent is lacking, it is up to the coaches to find better players or to coach and develop the talent they have. 

Thankfully Barry & Davis did graduate and have their eligibility expire. The two newcomers (Heinrich & Payne) are improvements over those two. The other six backers remain from last year. Therefore, I credit their development to coaching. 

NW does get more out of their players... that is coaching.

Purdue - Yes they have Bell & had Moore but the core of the team is not more talented than any others in the league... again that is coaching

Four things need to change if Nebraska is going to win any games this year.

1. Our Senior offensive line (and supposed strength of our team) needs to stop committing dumb penalties and our team as a whole needs to play with more discipline. Too good of a schedule to play sloppy.

2. Luke needs to start from here on out and so do the new WR's. Scott had a whole offseason and fall camp to teach the young guys the ropes and so far his best excuse is "They know only part of the playbook". Someone on the team in the WR room needs to take some ownership and lead by example or take the new guys under their wing because the bubble screen should be your #40 option on offense not #1, #2, and #..... aw **** three and out.

3. 2nd half adjustments and playing the game all 4 quarters. Scott is a brilliant guy. He has shown next to no flexibility when the last two quarters are being played and a COMBINED 3 POINTS over two games in the second halves of our games show it.

4. Find the endzone. Where the hell are the explosive plays that SF's offenses are known for? So far we are on pace to have the worst red zone offense of Scotts career.

Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

Regardless of the QB discussion, to me this highlights the continued inability of this team to overcome even a single mistake. Seems often one false start or a hold kills drives. Can't win with that little margin for error. 

And that's an attitude issue. It's like they're so wound up trying to be perfect to win that they don't just play fast and loose and let the game flow. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Regardless of the QB discussion, to me this highlights the continued inability of this team to overcome even a single mistake. Seems often one false start or a hold kills drives. Can't win with that little margin for error. 

......Frost said exactly that in the presser 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

too fragile mentally.......

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah people equate 400 yards as a top 10 offense.

No, not the argument.

I'll break it down to make the data really sink in: We had 442 yards of offense and 13 points. But, 7 of those points came from Myles Farmer spotting the ball on their four yard line. 

So, take away those four yards and seven points on that absolute gift of an interception - that's 438 yards that accounted for 6 points.

F'ing pathetic scoring. Part of it was the missed field goal (which goes back to the need for better special teams yet again), but another part of it was just our offense imploding in general once we got down towards the red zone.

• Plus1 3