Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

9 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I am not arguing that we should start all underclassmen. I think you're misunderstanding the thread. My point is that saying we have less talent than the likes of Northwestern & Purdue is a poor argument. Nebraska has more talented players than either program but we have been outcoached by both schools in recent years. 

We'll, by your criteria Frost outcoached Fitz last year.

Is Frost going to get outcoached by some of these B1G coaches for a while?  Probably 

Whatever outcoached really means 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

We'll, by your criteria Frost outcoached Fitz last year.

No, not by a mile. Last year we had to make a last second FG to beat a 3-9 Northwestern squad. Objectively the worst performing NW team in almost 20 years. They did not have more talent on the field than us last year and they also didn't have more talent on the field than us this year either. 

16 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Is Frost going to get outcoached by some of these B1G coaches for a while?  Probably 

Whatever outcoached really means 

Outcoach

Frost will get outcoached at some points sure, every team goes through that at some point or other. That said, this is his third year in the conference now and we've overhauled the roster. At some point, the offensive gurus need to start earning their hype and we cannot give into the idea that we have less talented players than middle of the road programs in our division. 

19 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

No, not by a mile. Last year we had to make a last second FG to beat a 3-9 Northwestern squad. Objectively the worst performing NW team in almost 20 years. They did not have more talent on the field than us last year and they also didn't have more talent on the field than us this year either. 

Outcoach

Frost will get outcoached at some points sure, every team goes through that at some point or other. That said, this is his third year in the conference now and we've overhauled the roster. At some point, the offensive gurus need to start earning their hype and we cannot give into the idea that we have less talented players than middle of the road programs in our division. 

We'll see at the end of this season if Northwestern is middle of the road 

• Plus1 1

Im pissed because I had to reorder the BIG 10 network.. but because he used to be time warner cable before it switched over the Spectrum we were grandfathered into some weird situation.. this resulted in a many hours long phone call.. then they gave us faster internet which caused my modem to explode and crash... had to get all new crap... and my internet didn't work for something like 3 days... all to watch the huskers get beat.....

damn......

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

We'll see at the end of this season if Northwestern is middle of the road 

Northwestern the last 10 years is the definition of middle of the road, nothing special but overachieves. Not sure why you fight that. To be honest much of the big ten is not very good. We have just been so bad our perspective has changed. Nebraska of old would be doing to the big ten what Ohio state is currently doing. Ask them if the big ten is solid. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, dinglederry said:

Im pissed because I had to reorder the BIG 10 network.. but because he used to be time warner cable before it switched over the Spectrum we were grandfathered into some weird situation.. this resulted in a many hours long phone call.. then they gave us faster internet which caused my modem to explode and crash... had to get all new crap... and my internet didn't work for something like 3 days... all to watch the huskers get beat.....

damn......

I had to burn an email to get a free trial to Fubo TV.  Same boat with Spectrm.  They no longer have just the add on sports pass....

I'm super late to the party here so my apologies if this has all been hashed out ad nauseum already.

Luke Reimer--Absolute stud, barring injury it's his spot from now on.  

Front 7 as a whole played pretty well.

1H secondary--Yeah they mucked up the Anderson long TD run but otherwise were quite solid.

2H secondary--Jeebus Williams and Taylor-Britt tackle like absolute poo.  Watching Williams get juked out by the NW WR on a spin move that was so slow I heard the theme song from the 6 Million Dollar Man would've been  hilarious if wasn't so sad.

I won't beat up on 2AM here.  He's just not the guy for the job anymore.  If he wants to stick around, great, if not, no worries and I wish him the best of luck at his next stop.  Hopefully he'll find a place that runs a more traditional pro-style offense like at a Stanford as I think he'd do really well there.

I see that we're still rolling out a really solid intramural flag football squad at WR.  Absolute fu$$%%^ joke.   QUIT RUNNING JET SWEEPS WITH KADE FREAKING WARNER.  NOBODY IS FOOLED.

HCSF--I totally get that he loves calling plays and it's a huge part of his identity.  But shoot man, you can't be a HC and the OC.  I get Ryan Day makes it work at tOSU but guess what Frosty?  You ain't Ryan Day.  I'm not sure if 2AM struggling is causing a crisis of confidence?  This is probably one of the first times that Frost has actually struggled with failure and I wonder if seeing 2AM absolutely stink...the QB that was Frost's handpicked guy is screwing with his head at all?

Our offense is absolutely exhausting to watch.  It feels like every play is a gigantic struggle.  6 yard gains feel like chunk plays and a simple false start is a death sentence.  Watching NU/NW and then watching the Cocktail party followed by ND/Clemson made me think I was watching a bad HS game with NU/NW.  

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm super late to the party here so my apologies if this has all been hashed out ad nauseum already.

Luke Reimer--Absolute stud, barring injury it's his spot from now on.  

Front 7 as a whole played pretty well.

1H secondary--Yeah they mucked up the Anderson long TD run but otherwise were quite solid.

2H secondary--Jeebus Williams and Taylor-Britt tackle like absolute poo.  Watching Williams get juked out by the NW WR on a spin move that was so slow I heard the theme song from the 6 Million Dollar Man would've been  hilarious if wasn't so sad.

I won't beat up on 2AM here.  He's just not the guy for the job anymore.  If he wants to stick around, great, if not, no worries and I wish him the best of luck at his next stop.  Hopefully he'll find a place that runs a more traditional pro-style offense like at a Stanford as I think he'd do really well there.

I see that we're still rolling out a really solid intramural flag football squad at WR.  Absolute fu$$%%^ joke.   QUIT RUNNING JET SWEEPS WITH KADE FREAKING WARNER.  NOBODY IS FOOLED.

HCSF--I totally get that he loves calling plays and it's a huge part of his identity.  But shoot man, you can't be a HC and the OC.  I get Ryan Day makes it work at tOSU but guess what Frosty?  You ain't Ryan Day.  I'm not sure if 2AM struggling is causing a crisis of confidence?  This is probably one of the first times that Frost has actually struggled with failure and I wonder if seeing 2AM absolutely stink...the QB that was Frost's handpicked guy is screwing with his head at all?

Our offense is absolutely exhausting to watch.  It feels like every play is a gigantic struggle.  6 yard gains feel like chunk plays and a simple false start is a death sentence.  Watching NU/NW and then watching the Cocktail party followed by ND/Clemson made me think I was watching a bad HS game with NU/NW.  

K state and Okie state was a much better game to watch

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is and many of the other points about how the Huskers outplayed NW is what makes that game so freaking frustrating. Outside of the scoreboard, which is the only thing that matters, NU crushed NW. If they just finished drives that game would have never been close.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I understand but if the talent is that good, at what point do those guys beat out the guys that are seeing the field? If the talent is lower on the depth chart, isn't it the job of the coaches to put the most talented players onto the field? 

What should the coaches do if a player is talented but isn't physically or mentally ready yet? Just play him anyway, even though another player is better right now?

I agree with you that we have some very skilled young guys but as we are in year three with Frost & Co., they need to start getting the talent onto the field. I think at worst case, we had at least equal talent to Northwestern on the field last weekend and were simply outcoached. I think it is the job of the coaches to put the players to put the players in the best position to win and I feel that we have done a poor job of doing that in many games the past couple years.

IMO NW had slightly more talent on defense than we had on offense, and we had slightly more talent on defense than NW had on offense. And the score reflected that as it was a fairly low scoring game. And we lost by one score with a chance to tie things up in the final seconds. I actually think we out-coached them with the fatal exception of in the redzone.

11 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I am not arguing that we should start all underclassmen. I think you're misunderstanding the thread. My point is that saying we have less talent than the likes of Northwestern & Purdue is a poor argument. Nebraska has more talented players than either program but we have been outcoached by both schools in recent years. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What should the coaches do if a player is talented but isn't physically or mentally ready yet? Just play him anyway, even though another player is better right now?

It depends. But that evaluation is what coaches get paid the big bucks for. Determining who will give you the best chance to win. 

Say you have a senior is a 6 out of 10 in raw ability. But he has been in the program so he knows where he is supposed to be on his assignments. 

Then you have a freshman who is a 9 out of 10 in raw ability. He does not have the mental side down so he may have some busts- but he may make plays the senior is not capable of making due to his talent restrictions. The raw talent might make a play and win you the game. 

So if I was the coach it would come down to how often do the mental mistakes happen in practice. Weigh risk reward. If that senior knows where he is supposed to be but he cant make plays because he is too slow that is as much a liability as the freshman in my mind.

When you are talking Alabama and Clemson it might be easier to play that freshman who makes more mistakes. The reason I say that is because they have 10 other guys on the field who are badass. They are erasers. What I mean by that is, if you remember Lavonte David. He was an eraser. He was so good he could erase and make up for other players bad play or he was fast enough to get back where he was supposed to be because he made a bad read. So Clemson and Bama can play a risky freshman because they have 10 other erasers on the field with him. We dont have that luxury. If 1 guy misses an assignment we are typically f#&%ed.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It is the coaches job to put the best players (talent) in place to win regardless of graduation year or recruiting stars. 

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yes, we will as saying we have less talented players than most of the league is wildly inaccurate.

39 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It depends. But that evaluation is what coaches get paid the big bucks for. Determining who will give you the best chance to win. 

Say you have a senior is a 6 out of 10 in raw ability. But he has been in the program so he knows where he is supposed to be on his assignments. 

Then you have a freshman who is a 9 out of 10 in raw ability. He does not have the mental side down so he may have some busts- but he may make plays the senior is not capable of making due to his talent restrictions. The raw talent might make a play and win you the game. 

So if I was the coach it would come down to how often do the mental mistakes happen in practice. Weigh risk reward. If that senior knows where he is supposed to be but he cant make plays because he is too slow that is as much a liability as the freshman in my mind.

When you are talking Alabama and Clemson it might be easier to play that freshman who makes more mistakes. The reason I say that is because they have 10 other guys on the field who are badass. They are erasers. What I mean by that is, if you remember Lavonte David. He was an eraser. He was so good he could erase and make up for other players bad play or he was fast enough to get back where he was supposed to be because he made a bad read. So Clemson and Bama can play a risky freshman because they have 10 other erasers on the field with him. We dont have that luxury. If 1 guy misses an assignment we are typically f#&%ed.

I agree with your post.

Now imagine instead of it being a single position that the coach has to make that decision on, what if it's half or a third of the team? That's the situation I think we're in. Most of the talent on the team is from the last two recruiting classes, so either true freshman or second year players. Having a bunch of raw players making mental mistakes is totally different than a single player surrounded by more experienced players.

I think we're getting there talent-wise, but still need time for those players to be ready physically and mentally. While we have talent, it's not yet getting on the field because the coaches don't want to throw them all out there at once. So we don't have more talent on the field than most of the B1G, which is the point I've been trying to make.

• Plus1 1