Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

44 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost knows this.

Anybody who even just casually watches football knows this, so we'd of course assume Frost knows it. The question is whether he'll actually devise a plan to fix the problem that works.

Because he had this same issue last year as well. So it's becoming kind of his thing.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Anybody who even just casually watches football knows this, so we'd of course assume Frost knows it. The question is whether he'll actually devise a plan to fix the problem that works.

Because he had this same issue last year as well. So it's becoming kind of his thing.

So are penalties and lack of discipline 

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Seems like frost has the same problem playing the talented kids like Pelini used to do. Other programs play their talent. Seems like whoever our coach is has some reasoning for playing some less talented  kid 

Damn straight, stuck on playing guys who know the playbook better vs. playing talented but less knowledgeable guys.

This is definitely Pelini-like, e.g. Sean Fisher playing ahead of Lavonte David, until he got hurt and then David became a star.

Okay, I'll be serious

The defensive front was stout.  Stuffed the run real well with the exception of one or two plays.  LBs are heads above where they were last year.  Line needs to get better pressure without relying on blitzes.  A good coach will pick up on that and pick it apart.

DBs need to learn to wrap up.  Lots of shoulder hits that didn't knock anybody down but allowed the ball carrier to get a couple more yards.  Noticed as the game went on, the cushion got bigger.  

On offense, the running game (other than the QB draws and scrambles) is nonexistent.  Need to get back to the basics in the run game.  Get a fullback back there to open a few holes.  If you can't execute a basic running game plan, don't get cute with trick crap.  

Frost needs to pick a QB and stick with him.  Luke seemed to have better velocity and aim today.  Give the guy the next start.  It isn't going to help either guy switching them out game to game.  You'll never get team consistency if the rest of the offense doesn't know which guy they will be dealing with from series to series.  

Run blocking is harder than pass blocking so if the line sucks (and I'm not convinced they do) use a few two tight end sets or get a lead blocker into the backfield.  I watched some dives into the middle today but not much to the edges.  What happened to the option?  Pulls the safeties up and loosen up the middle.  Do something, anything, to get the DBs pulled in to give the WR a chance.

Play calling was predictable.  Defense isn't fooled by three guys in motion.  NW knew it would be a 5 yard out or QB draw.  

Referees were consistently bad for both teams.  No favoritism I could see.  No targeting calls or official reviews so at least the game was over fast.

• Plus1 3

Maybe someone can explain to me what I have witnessed. Year 1 I think we all thought Frost was as advertised. First half ugly and then 2nd half of season we looked like a well coached team who turned a corner. Last year was a dumpster fire, this year appears to be a dumpster fire. I don’t want excuses- good coaches teams progress and get better every year in a rebuild. Most good coaches make BIG leap year 3. Everyone makes excuses for Frost. Enough- get the job done 

• Plus1 2

I still continue to think Nebraska will get better with another graduation. But coaches need to put players in position to exceed.

Frost’s first class is rough man. 

Farmer needs to play more. Our safety’s are Ricky T & a poor mans Stafford. 

• Plus1 2

My biggest takeaway that wasn't already a known commodity is that the Game Day thread is actually pretty boring when Chin can't be drug through the coals.  His unit and plan, albeit vs a below average offense, was sound.  So again, I'll give him some props.

Huskers lose again.  Questionable decision making again.  The feeling of MEH again.

• Fire 2

Where to begin....

The front 7 is solid.  I like Luke and Will as the ILB. Henrich has to play as well.   

JoJo continues to just play solid ball

I'd start Farmer and Williams at safety

ST is still not special

At least we have a FG kicker this year

Martinez vs Luke

Luke is a fast blinker.  He might no go through all his progressions, but he reads, rips or runs....That's the mojo that makes Frost's O go.......He is a decisive runner and his passion seems to rub off when he's out there. His ceiling IMHO is higher.  Martinez has regressed. Smothers looked like a grown a$$ man on the bench between them both.

Frost refuses to lean on the running game, use one play to set up another and I might get banned, but is just of bad a play caller as Becks, Wats, and Langs.....And that's saying something.  Doesn't run with the players he has, but with what he wants.  Another year of square peg meets round hole. Even the announcers were calling out our inability to have deep routes, those to the sidelines etc.....When your 6'8 TE can't win a jump ball, we have a problem.  

TE's are completely non-existent.  On the goal line, line up in a jumbo package with Mills as a FB.......   Challenge the OL and Austin to run the friggin ball in.....

Cincy

Coastal Carolina

Indiana

Rutgers

We are worse than all of them......And much more stars.....and talent......

Sit guys who get penalties on the OL. I'd rather play a guy who can't push and get up 5 yards than the guys who lose us yards.....

Austin talked about  the run game.  I have yet to see it.  

Hickman is AWOL.

Lastly, I have seen some defensive improvement.  Quite a bit honestly.  Chin is not currently the weak link in this chain.....

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I think I would feel optimistic if it weren’t for the QB situation. Front 7 is pretty young, clearly improved and plays violently.  Offensive line is young and will anchor this team in the near future. 

AM is officially a head case. I can’t understand where this kid went. He made a deep throw in the Horseshoe as a freshman that was as impressive as I’ve ever seen, and I was sure he was destined for greatness. That kid is gone and I’m not sure where he went. But Verdusco and Frost have a lot to answer for IMO. That’s the reason I am annoyed today. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

My biggest takeaway that wasn't already a known commodity is that the Game Day thread is actually pretty boring when Chin can't be drug through the coals.  His unit and plan, albeit vs a below average offense, was sound.  So again, I'll give him some props.

Huskers lose again.  Questionable decision making again.  The feeling of MEH again.

I'll bite. How many 3rd and 7, where they got eight; or third and eight where they got nine; or third and nines where they got 10 was Chin able to prevent? Not nearly enough, especially in crucial situations.

1 minute ago, Comish said:

I'll bite. How many 3rd and 7, where they got eight; or third and eight where they got nine; or third and nines where they got 10 was Chin able to prevent? Not nearly enough, especially in crucial situations.

This is true. The defense isn't sound yet. But it is definitely showing improvement at a faster pace than the offense.

• Plus1 6