Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

To be fair, there have been a few games where Chin’s D outpaced NU’s O. We said the same things then as now. And then Chin’s D a week or two later is terrible. 

Northwestern is a terrible offensive team. The D today gave up huge 3rd downs yet again...

Coaching is killing us. Schemes, pride or ego in playing the wrong kids, play calling, execution, player development, discipline. 

Lastly, it’s tough to get better when both sides consistently underperform and those are the players playing against each other in practices. I say start playing the best talent. Fastest most athletic kids. Your playbook sucks, coach. Run 10 core plays and one audible tangent option from each. That alone should allow you to out athlete to an occasional win. 

This thing is a mess. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Frost has ZERO game plans.  There nothing for rhythm or set-up.  It is a fly by the pants offense.

I feel like we have a lot of talented players and Frost tries to get guys touches but things just feel forced I just can’t put my finger on it.  Idk if we need to just lean on Mills and let him get rolling and then try to hit a few big passes but this short pass game just doesn’t work. Can’t ever get a rhythm like you said.

9 minutes ago, Farms said:

I feel like we have a lot of talented players and Frost tries to get guys touches but things just feel forced I just can’t put my finger on it.  Idk if we need to just lean on Mills and let him get rolling and then try to hit a few big passes but this short pass game just doesn’t work. Can’t ever get a rhythm like you said.

There is no identity except to be tricky. Maybe Frost is trying to force the identity to suit Martinez? Or maybe he’s trying to be cutesy and play it his way and it doesn’t work in the B10. 

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Frost refuses to lean on the running game, use one play to set up another and I might get banned, but is just of bad a play caller as Becks, Wats, and Langs.....And that's saying something.

Well, we had 442 yards of offense. We had 43 carries and averaged 5.2 yards per carry. So broadly speaking Frost did some good stuff calling plays. Problem is, 7 of our 13 damn points from those 442 yards came off a 1 play, 4 yard drive because Farmer puts the ball on the 4.

So I guess my takeaway, if I combine those stats with the eyeball test, is that he leaned on the run game pretty heavily...but our guys couldn't execute the running game in the red zone. 2nd & goal from the 2 and we can't punch Dedrick in there.

If we get Dedrick in there on that one and hadn't missed the field goal maybe we win. But either way we suck in the red zone, our team sucks in general, and I'm not even feeling all that confident that starting Luke makes us that much better...because we'll still be as impotent as a Nevada state boxing commissioner in the red zone.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

There is no identity except to be tricky. Maybe Frost is trying to force the identity to suit Martinez? Or maybe he’s trying to be cutesy and play it his way and it doesn’t work in the B10. 

Exactly. After 3 years you cannot point to one thing that is our bread and butter. We’re a jack of all trades and master of none.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well, we had 442 yards of offense. We had 43 carries and averaged 5.2 yards per carry. So broadly speaking Frost did some good stuff calling plays. Problem is, 7 of our 13 damn points from those 442 yards came off a 1 play, 4 yard drive because Farmer puts the ball on the 4.

So I guess my takeaway, if I combine those stats with the eyeball test, is that he leaned on the run game pretty heavily...but our guys couldn't execute the running game in the red zone. 2nd & goal from the 2 and we can't punch Dedrick in there.

If we get Dedrick in there on that one and hadn't missed the field goal maybe we win. But either way we suck in the red zone, our team sucks in general, and I'm not even feeling all that confident that starting Luke makes us that much better...because we'll still be as impotent as a Nevada state boxing commissioner in the red zone.

One thing I feel gets overlooked. If we are trying to truly judge how good our oline is at run blocking. 

Like you said we average 5.2, but how many of those were true designed runs? The QB taking off running and getting 35 yards on a busted pass play can really make the yards per rush look good. But maybe we are not good at true running plays thus why we can’t control the line of scrimmage in the red zone 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But maybe we are not good at true running plays thus why we can’t control the line of scrimmage in the red zone 

Definitely accurate.

Different train of thought: If Luke gets the start next week (which I really even doubt will happen), what you'll see is Penn State not respecting his throwing ability and just crushing the line of scrimmage. Have to get the ball to guys like Wan'Dale and Fleming in space somehow or this season is probably screwed.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Definitely accurate.

Different train of thought: If Luke gets the start next week (which I really even doubt will happen), what you'll see is Penn State not respecting his throwing ability and just crushing the line of scrimmage. Have to get the ball to guys like Wan'Dale and Fleming in space somehow or this season is probably screwed.

I agree on those 2. Playmakers they are. All the hype bout Manning you gotta use him. He is the big body. I would think running in the red zone would get easier with receiver talent on the field. Let’s be real a P5 defense ain’t worried bout Cade Warner beating them on a red zone pass 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree on those 2. Playmakers they are. All the hype bout Manning you gotta use him. He is the big body. I would think running in the red zone would get easier with receiver talent on the field. Let’s be real a P5 defense ain’t worried bout Cade Warner beating them on a red zone pass 

Did you see Adrian’s attempt at a fade? That was ugly.