Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Just to let them know that it is unacceptable.  I should clarify, not for the game, but a series or plays.  Accountability.

Gotcha. Thought you meant rotate them completely. Could botch the chemistry of the line but maybe do that for those who make multiple mistakes? I'd rather keep an aggressor in for making an aggressive mistake, but no one really stands out outside of Heimas who you would not pull. 

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My takeaway after today is that Nebraska is very likely the absolute worst team in the B1G conference. Not Rutgers. Not Maryland. Maybe Illinois.....whoopee, maybe we're only 2nd worst. Maybe.

Well,  that’s probably a little dramatic. What about Purdue? 

My takeaway is I've watched this team for around 30 years play. I love the Huskers and I'll always hope they get out of this hell they've been in for about 20 years now......but I've gotta start paying attention to another team as well to help my psyche out. I'm just over the s#!tty football! Coaching the basics shouldn't be this damn hard! :facepalm: I'm not planning my Saturday's around Husker football anymore. It's too difficult to watch when you love a team this much! :nanalama

7 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

My takeaway is I've watched this team for around 30 years play. I love the Huskers and I'll always hope they get out of this hell they've been in for about 20 years now......but I've gotta start paying attention to another team as well to help my psyche out. I'm just over the s#!tty football! Coaching the basics shouldn't be this damn hard! :facepalm: I'm not planning my Saturday's around Husker football anymore. It's too difficult to watch when you love a team this much! :nanalama

It used to ruin my weekend when the Huskers lost. Dumb  I know but you’re not alone. I’ve really started to get into NFL football the last few years (helps the Chiefs are good finally) and it gives me another game to look forward too on the weekends. And with the NFL a losses happen so it’s very easy to move on from it when the games over. 

• Fire 1

How many more times can we sit back and watch inferior teams win?  I think the Husker potential is visible for the first time in years.  There is significant progress in every aspect of their play except offense. The offense is just bad.  It is NO different than it has been in years.  This program will never win with below average QB play.  Bad teams win with good QB play.  This is a good team with poor QB play.

Offense

-I don’t get the penalties.

-This offense did nothing.  Turnovers and penalties are what allowed for Husker points.  I thought the Huskers got several ticky tack penalties in their favor.

-AM needs to be done.  His Pedestrian play is what gets the team in the hole.  Defenses are now doing what everyone did to Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez (Take away the run and beat us with your arm).

-Team needs QB play that will loosen up the D

-I am not a fan of the play calling, but part of me believes they can’t do anything with AM.

-The final drive was exciting and pathetic at the same time.  I’ll allow a mulligan since Luke has no experience.

Special Teams

-Watched guys in position take themselves out of the play twice.  They are significantly better, but still not good enough.

Defense

-There were issues, but I’m impressed with the D Line and LB play.  

-Everyone is tackling well.

• Plus1 1

1:  We need to stop thinking recruiting rankings mean ANYTHING once you get past like the top 5.  "Look, we got the 39th rated WR" Yeah, once you get past the top 5 ranked WR's, the rest is probably BS

2.  This offense is a mystery.  Yards and yards and yards but can't finish in the end zone.

3.  I get the "no yelling at players" approach but it also seems like they are never pumped up, the staff, on the sidelines.  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, TheSker said:

Red zone offense must improve.  Now.  Frost knows this.

Not having Jurgens hurt today.  OL wasn't sharp, and the center leads the way.

Quarterback controversies are tough.  Well, except on message boards.

When Frost indicates we're close to turning a corner, I'd agree.

LB play is night and day better than last season.  Props to Ruud.

As young of a team as we are, the future couldn't be more bright.

We still need to finish drives.  Now 

This will be a TheSker post 10 years from now only substitute Jurgens for another player. There is no indication whatsoever that this is going in the right direction. Same s#!t different year. No improvement on any facet of the game. In fact, special teams and penalties are worse. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

This will be a TheSker post 10 years from now only substitute Jurgens for another player. There is no indication whatsoever that this is going in the right direction. Same s#!t different year. No improvement on any facet of the game. In fact, special teams and penalties are worse. 

No indication? Our lines are better than they have been in years. Isn't that what everyone has been yammering for? Thats the foundation and its being built. Both lines are the strengths of our team right now. Honestly the DLine  looks like it can be downright nasty in the future and same can be said for the O line. Lots of young guys playing pretty damn well in the trenches 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No indication? Our lines are better than they have been in years. Isn't that what everyone has been yammering for? Thats the foundation and its being built. Both lines are the strengths of our team right now. Honestly the DLine  looks like it can be downright nasty in the future and same can be said for the O line. Lots of young guys playing pretty damn well in the trenches 

Ya they think there so good they run it up the middle on 3 yard line.... right.... RIGHT?!

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The o-line didnt impress me yesterday. Talk to

me when they put multiple OSU performances in a row. Ty Robinson impresses on d-line. Who else? Im not seeing it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The o-line didnt impress me yesterday. Talk to

me when they put multiple OSU performances in a row. Ty Robinson impresses on d-line. Who else? Im not seeing it. 

I agree on this. After watching Ohio state game I figured we would own the rest of the teams dline. Didn’t happen yesterday 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My takeaway is Martinez sucks and it has nothing to do with some injury he got a pass on for last year. He is healthy and still digressing 

Yup. That game was on Frost and AM. 

What concerns me is that Luke has shown a tendency to put the ball on the deck and turn the ball over himself.  With that said, I want to see Luke start a few games to see what he can do when not being inserted to jolt a lame AM. 

The offense has looked nothing like Oregon and UCF when the QB sits in the pocket and gets greedy looking for more or throws a late ball allowing the DB to recover and make a play. When Luke was out there, minus the failed flea flicker set of downs, he was finding those quick routes which moved the chains or he was decisive and took off for positive years.