Northwestern Takeaways

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm saying that might be the reason Frost stopped trying to go fast tempo. And since we haven't improved, he hasn't gone back to it.

Maybe with a different QB he would feel comfortable. His play calling seems cautious and predictable. Sometimes a person needs to take a step back and examine what they are doing. I think he has been in the weeds the last few years. I would love it for a media person to ask Scott in a presser or perhaps privately off record. 

"Scott, do you feel your play calling is desiring to excel with no fear of failure?" 

I think he would pause and realize he is playcalling scared. Let it rip, get your playmakers on the field, running and getting open. ATTACK. Our offense is boring. RB run up middle, QB run up middle, Quick pass to sideline. If Adrian makes Frost have scared playcalling that should be all the evidence you need to make the change.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Maybe with a different QB he would feel comfortable. His play calling seems cautious and predictable. Sometimes a person needs to take a step back and examine what they are doing. I think he has been in the weeds the last few years. I would love it for a media person to ask Scott in a presser or perhaps privately off record. 

"Scott, do you feel your play calling is desiring to excel with no fear of failure?" 

I think he would pause and realize he is playcalling scared. Let it rip, get your playmakers on the field, running and getting open. ATTACK. Our offense is boring. RB run up middle, QB run up middle, Quick pass to sideline. If Adrian makes Frost have scared playcalling that should be all the evidence you need to make the change.

You realize how many yards we put up against Northwestern, right?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think tempo is part of it but it's like the play calling has gotten significantly worse since year 1.  I don't get it

Not sure. I still think our main issue is talent. Last year was when all the Riley recruiting failures and Frost's short recruiting class of 2018 combined to put us at our least talent point. This season the talent is improving but it's young/inexperienced. I'm not as convinced the playcalling is that bad like some others.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You realize how many yards we put up against Northwestern, right?

9-17

The goal is to win the game. It is to win games. Not count how many yards we got. Not sure why you are impressed with how many yards we get per game. You know where we rank offensively in total yards per game in the NCAA? 63rd. 

63 null.svgNebraska 2 144 812 5.64 3 406.0
  • Plus1 2
1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah people equate 400 yards as a top 10 offense.

Another indictment on play calling. You know where we rank in 3rd down conversions in the country. 

122nd. 

Most of our passes are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage yet we are rated 65th in pass completion. 

Penalties per game

108th. 

First downs per game 

98th

Passing yards per completion 

114th

Red zone offense

123rd

Scoring offense 

116th

These are pretty sobering facts. 

• Plus1 4
19 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Not sure. I still think our main issue is talent. Last year was when all the Riley recruiting failures and Frost's short recruiting class of 2018 combined to put us at our least talent point. This season the talent is improving but it's young/inexperienced. I'm not as convinced the playcalling is that bad like some others.

I definitely don't disagree talent is part of it but it seemed like majority of the first season, we had an identity on offense and would call plays to setup the following plays.  This year, a lot of times it feels like we're just throwing s#!t at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah people equate 400 yards as a top 10 offense.

It's not great, but teams averaging 440ish yards of offense are all averaging a hell of a lot more points per game than 13. Almost all of them are averaging 30+. Some of the stats from @Huskers93-97 explain why there's the disconnect, but the point is we moved the ball well enough overall to win. 440 yards has to translate to more than 13 points. 

Not sure where the first downs per game stat came from though - I show us as 48th, which is not good but also not 98th. 

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Our team is more talented than most of our opponents and now in year 3, the talent argument falls a little flat given the roster turnover. Experience is a legitimate point as we do have a lot of young players but with the amount of practice time and coaching they've had, experience should be less of a factor. Many of the errors we've had the past year and a half draw a lot from play calling and not having an identity. This falls on the coaches. 

Prime example is this last weekend when we had 1st & goal at the 2 yard line. Instead of a straight power play, we swing the entire line left and try to get cute with a fake handoff before being blown up for a two yard loss. For all the hype about Oline looking like a Big Ten line and slowly getting back to the "Husker Power," running them out of the picture at the goal line does not inspire confidence that we can over power anyone. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I definitely don't disagree talent is part of it but it seemed like majority of the first season, we had an identity on offense and would call plays to setup the following plays.  This year, a lot of times it feels like we're just throwing s#!t at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

I think Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman, and Devine Ozigbo make playcalling look way better.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Our team is more talented than most of our opponents

I disagree. We might have better recruiting star averages but we've looked untalented for years with last year looking the worst I can ever remember. And the talent we do have is mostly young/inexperienced.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I disagree. We might have better recruiting star averages but we've looked untalented for years with last year looking the worst I can ever remember. And the talent we do have is mostly young/inexperienced.

You want to see us "Back" Keep recruiting guys like Ty Robinson and Wandale Robinson. Marcus Fleming. Get a roster full of that type of talent and we are a top 10 program. 

But typically to build a program like that you have to really be able to do more with less to pile up wins to recruit at that level. Once you start winning and those types of kids consistently come it becomes a lot easier to convince more of them to join. But if our offense finishes this year in 100-120th range like we are now. Good luck convincing kids to come be part of that.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You want to see us "Back" Keep recruiting guys like Ty Robinson and Wandale Robinson. Marcus Fleming. Get a roster full of that type of talent and we are a top 10 program. 

I agree. We've started getting talent again. Good talent. And they're young/inexperienced as I posted.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But typically to build a program like that you have to really be able to do more with less to pile up wins to recruit at that level. Once you start winning and those types of kids consistently come it becomes a lot easier to convince more of them to join. But if our offense finishes this year in 100-120th range like we are now. Good luck convincing kids to come be part of that.

IMO recruiting is way more about the recruiters than the team performance. It's certainly easier to recruit when you're really good, but can always sell that the team needs a talent like them when we're not performing well. We've gotten talented recruits under Frost, and we'll continue to do so if the coaches do a good job recruiting.