Stay calm

16 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

It's year 3 and it is the same look as year 1.  No accountability, undisciplined play, dumb penalties, no identity on offense, etc.  Meanwhile while all this has been going on, programs across the country are bringing new coaches into programs with just as, if not worse situations, and they are WINNING.  Doesn't matter if they have "their players" or "their culture" 100% infused into said program.  SO WHY SHOULD A FANBASE REMAIN CALM????

Seriously the while this program is trying to stay calm and wait a couple of more years to see the fruits of Scott's labor, the rest of the teams in the league(Illinois may be the exception) are blowing past NU.  

What is a reasonable timeframe before we can no longer keep saying it will take time? I don’t want to be in year 5 still hearing people saying I guess the culture and talent under Riley was so bad it’s taking longer to rebuild. Starting next year almost the entire team is frosts recruits so no excuses. s#!t Martinez could graduate next year so no more blaming someone else. Do other coaches take 3-4 years to change a culture? 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

It's year 3 and it is the same look as year 1.  No accountability, undisciplined play, dumb penalties, no identity on offense, etc.  Meanwhile while all this has been going on, programs across the country are bringing new coaches into programs with just as, if not worse situations, and they are WINNING.  Doesn't matter if they have "their players" or "their culture" 100% infused into said program.  SO WHY SHOULD A FANBASE REMAIN CALM????

Seriously the while this program is trying to stay calm and wait a couple of more years to see the fruits of Scott's labor, the rest of the teams in the league(Illinois may be the exception) are blowing past NU.  

All good points, except what's the benefit of not remaining calm?

• Plus1 5

We don't seem to have enough talent stepping up. Where are our w/r's. We have been recruiting them for 3yrs.   I think two got in in the second half, i think. We have running backs that don't seem to get much playing time, besides our starter. Play the freshman, can't be any worse then what's out there now. They don't lose any eligibility this year, so why not see what they can do. 

Martinez doesn't have any one to throw to, except it seems like the T/E's.

I like the way the D's been playing. Looks like they are starting to get it.

The O is turning out a lot of yardage, but still red zone play calling is puzzling.

Think Frost is our guy. When it gels look out.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

All good points, except what's the benefit of not remaining calm?

It's more directed at those that say you need years to install your culture, players, etc.  During the first year, yes common sense should prove that is the case.  But that is not a battle cry screamed by successful programs in YEAR 3. 

The point was also proven again last night in Boulder.  Coach is hired during arguably the WORST offseason to ever be hired, hardly even knows what he has for team do to the circumstances, and yet goes out and wins his debut(yes UCLA is a hot mess).  However, you see it every where. 

If you need more than a year to install your culture, one should take a look in the mirror and maybe reevaluate ones ways and means of flipping said culture.

• Plus1 3

We are showing no improvement in year 3 on the offensive side of the ball and special teams.  Year 3, the offense should be able to execute basic plays.  We have one predicated on getting guys in space, creating mismatches with speed, going up tempo and scoring a lot.  

We have now lost 7 of our last 8 games.  I just read that if you take away the Maryland game last year, Frost’s high flying, all gas no brakes, chunk play offense is scoring less than 18 ppg.  That’s laughable. Wan’dale, our most prolific offense player had 4 passes yesterday.  Mills had 6.....,Play calling, inability to develop players is all on Frost.  He needs to seriously reconsider his offensive scheme.  It worked in the AAC when you could get faster athletes, but not now.  Not in the B1G.  Offense puts up yards, but not points......NU needs to drop some serious bank and get an OC who can teach and implement a system......I look at Miami in year one under Lashlee and they are killing it....

Prior to covid, I figured we were still 2021/2022 to figure out what we really were.  Covid hits and I thought this would be the year.  I was completely wrong. The D is looking much improved.   I have no faith in the offensive scheme and have seen nothing to think we will turn the corner anytime soon....

We are now at the bottom of the B1G.  Viewed as a gimme.  An easy game to schedule to get some reps for younger guys, try out a new wrinkle or 2 etc.....

• Plus1 1