Stay calm

At this point I'm basically calm and numb. I'll watch games and hope we play better, but I give up on any expectations anymore. I'll watch Nebraska like I do the Wyoming Cowboys, expect to lose but glad when we win. 

I still think Frost can figure it out, but if he doesn't we'll be back to square one. At this point no successful or hot coach will want to come here to coach. If Frost doesn't get it figured out our best hope is we hire some young coach who decides to stick around instead of using NU as a stepping stone now. Don't have much hope for that. If Frost isn't it, NU is just a bottom of the barrel power 5 team now. 

• Plus1 1

My issue is not whether Frost is the right man for the job or not. I believed and still believe that he was a good hire at the time. My issue is that his demeanor and statements gave the fan base the impression that he was going to turn this around and make us competitive. He is among the highest paid coaches in the nation and over the past three years, he has done very little to earn our trust. He blamed the culture of the team and many recruits transferred under his leadership. At what point do we start to wonder whether he is simply way over his head and his style of football is not a good fit for the BIG. We went from dominating the Big Twelve to being bottom dwellers of the BIG ten. How many losing seasons do we have to endure. I echo many on this thread that say that the fan base would eventually lose all hope and just settle for the current state of mediocrity. 

I wonder what excuses will we come up with when we lose to a very bad penn state team!? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

My issue is not whether Frost is the right man for the job or not. I believed and still believe that he was a good hire at the time. My issue is that his demeanor and statements gave the fan base the impression that he was going to turn this around and make us competitive. He is among the highest paid coaches in the nation and over the past three years, he has done very little to earn our trust. He blamed the culture of the team and many recruits transferred under his leadership. At what point do we start to wonder whether he is simply way over his head and his style of football is not a good fit for the BIG. We went from dominating the Big Ten to being bottom dwellers of the BIG. How many losing seasons do we have to endure. I echo many on this thread that say that the fan base would eventually lose all hope and just settle for the current state of mediocrity. 

I wonder what excuses will we come up with when we lose to a very bad penn state team!? 

When did we dominate the B1G?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm calm.  Before Frost was here and since we haven't had the talent to be able to win games consistently in the B1G and overall.  I'm encouraged though as I like where our recruiting is at and you're starting to see some of Frost's recruits actually making plays on the field.  We still don't have enough of 'those guys' yet so as of today I'm calm about where we're at because given where we're at I like certain things about where we are heading. 

What I'm most not happy about are the mistakes/penalties and the situational offensive play calling esp in the red zone.  I expected a lot more from Frost and Lubick 2 games in.  It will be interesting to see what a possible QB change could do.  At this point I think it should help.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm calm.  Before Frost was here and since we haven't had the talent to be able to win games consistently in the B1G and overall.  I'm encouraged though as I like where our recruiting is at and you're starting to see some of Frost's recruits actually making plays on the field.  We still don't have enough of 'those guys' yet so as of today I'm calm about where we're at because given where we're at I like certain things about where we are heading. 

What I'm most not happy about are the mistakes/penalties and the situational offensive play calling esp in the red zone.  I expected a lot more from Frost and Lubick 2 games in.  It will be interesting to see what a possible QB change could do.  At this point I think it should help.

This just isn't true in year 3. We don't have enough to beat Ohio State sure, but have plenty to have a winning record. And guess what, if they have a 3rd straight losing record we won't be getting many more of 'those guys' signing up to come here.

• Plus1 1

Northwestern is a decent team that might win the West for the second time in 3 years. All in all, we did a lot good or ok. Tied turnovers, had fewer penalty yards, more passing, rushing and total yards. We moved the ball well.  Play calling wasn't awful - except in the redzone.  That has to be a focus.  Mills pounding the ball, Mills as a full back, QB sneak. All that stuff has worked well for short yardage stuff, hopefully we go back to that.

How about true freshman Fleming leading the receivers in his second game?  We know Wandale is great and we need to get him the ball more too. I would like to see him take some snaps at RB still.  Running game is underwhelming.  I think that will look better when these young, talented WRs continue to step up, regardless of who the RB is.

Defensively, I thought we did decent. Two inceptions and a strip sack were great. Hopefully, next time we can jump on that ball. Luuuuuuke Riemer played great and that's exciting.   

Obviously there's a lot of negative things that happened, but I'm going to try to keep my posts in this thread positive vibes only.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

It's year 3 and it is the same look as year 1.  No accountability, undisciplined play, dumb penalties, no identity on offense, etc.  Meanwhile while all this has been going on, programs across the country are bringing new coaches into programs with just as, if not worse situations, and they are WINNING.  Doesn't matter if they have "their players" or "their culture" 100% infused into said program.  SO WHY SHOULD A FANBASE REMAIN CALM????

Seriously the while this program is trying to stay calm and wait a couple of more years to see the fruits of Scott's labor, the rest of the teams in the league(Illinois may be the exception) are blowing past NU.  

This has been happening for over 20 years.  Nothing new here

Like I said - this was always going to be a 1 or 2 win season.

A few things are working against us now.  The two most significant are that we have a new regime and are still, at this late date, adjusting to the B1G.  The reality is that we have been traditionally accustomed to a soft schedule and simple path to success.  We now have to face legitimate teams every week, except for non-conference where we still schedule cupcakes.  Between a new regime and a real schedule, we're no ready.  Yet.  We will be.  But not yet.  For now, we're going to get our poop pushed in.  But not forever.  Sit tight.  There's room for hope!

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, GBR2020 said:

Like I said - this was always going to be a 1 or 2 win season.

A few things are working against us now.  The two most significant are that we have a new regime and are still, at this late date, adjusting to the B1G.  The reality is that we have been traditionally accustomed to a soft schedule and simple path to success.  We now have to face legitimate teams every week, except for non-conference where we still schedule cupcakes.  Between a new regime and a real schedule, we're no ready.  Yet.  We will be.  But not yet.  For now, we're going to get our poop pushed in.  But not forever.  Sit tight.  There's room for hope!

I don’t think year 3 you can still claim new regime. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Northwestern is a decent team that might win the West for the second time in 3 years. All in all, we did a lot good or ok. Tied turnovers, had fewer penalty yards, more passing, rushing and total yards. We moved the ball well.  Play calling wasn't awful - except in the redzone.  That has to be a focus.  Mills pounding the ball, Mills as a full back, QB sneak. All that stuff has worked well for short yardage stuff, hopefully we go back to that.

How about true freshman Fleming leading the receivers in his second game?  We know Wandale is great and we need to get him the ball more too. I would like to see him take some snaps at RB still.  Running game is underwhelming.  I think that will look better when these young, talented WRs continue to step up, regardless of who the RB is.

Defensively, I thought we did decent. Two inceptions and a strip sack were great. Hopefully, next time we can jump on that ball. Luuuuuuke Riemer played great and that's exciting.   

Obviously there's a lot of negative things that happened, but I'm going to try to keep my posts in this thread positive vibes only.

There is nothing positive about our penalty yards, nothing positive about our passing game other than Fleming looks legit, play calling we have roughly 5 plays and the defense knows what they are. IE 13 points. 

I am all for positivity and supporting the Big Red but I am also not interested in brainwashing myself we have something good cooking in the oven. This s#!t is pathetic in year 3 offensively. If we had a solid offense like Oregon and UCF our D is doing enough to win 10 games. Our offense is why we go sub .500 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, GBR2020 said:

and are still, at this late date, adjusting to the B1G.  The reality is that we have been traditionally accustomed to a soft schedule and simple path to success.  

How long have they been in the B1G????  Are you talking about under Frost, which in Year 3 the arguement doesn't hold much water.  Or as a program, which then holds absolutely NO water 

I think of the line from Mike Tyson.

"Everyone has a plan until the get punched in the mouth."

Scott has now been puched in the mouth.  I am not sure this has happended before?  I always thought he came in with the arrogance of I am Scott Frost, everything will just fall in line. 

Does he have a plan?  It looks like we will find out soon....

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think of the line from Mike Tyson.

"Everyone has a plan until the get punched in the mouth."

Scott has now been puched in the mouth.  I am not sure this has happended before?  I always thought he came in with the arrogance of I am Scott Frost, everything will just fall in line. 

Does he have a plan?  It looks like we will find out soon....

What? He has coached 26 games at Nebraska and lost 17 of them. He is quite accustomed to being punched in the mouth, and so are the fans. He has had plenty of time of come up with a plan. 

We can’t pretend like we are suddenly at some sort of revelatory starting point.

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

What? He has coached 26 games at Nebraska and lost 17 of them. He is quite accustomed to being punched in the mouth, and so are the fans. He has had plenty of time of come up with a plan. 

We can’t pretend like we are suddenly at some sort of revelatory starting point.

I am not sure I have seen him look so distraught like he did yesterday during the game and in the post game press conference.  He is a very confident person.  I don't know if he has felt punched in the mouth until now.