Stay calm

I’m calm. I’m sad, frustrated, depressed, and angry at myself for caring as much as I do. I try to remind myself of the Mickey Mantle scene in “A Bronx Tale” to help temper my emotional investment in this dumb little game. But my overwhelming disappointment is turning towards aggressive apathy. But above all, I’m calm. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

At this point I'm basically calm and numb. I'll watch games and hope we play better, but I give up on any expectations anymore. I'll watch Nebraska like I do the Wyoming Cowboys, expect to lose but glad when we win. 

I still think Frost can figure it out, but if he doesn't we'll be back to square one. At this point no successful or hot coach will want to come here to coach. If Frost doesn't get it figured out our best hope is we hire some young coach who decides to stick around instead of using NU as a stepping stone now. Don't have much hope for that. If Frost isn't it, NU is just a bottom of the barrel power 5 team now. 

Years ago(this has been going on for close to 2 decades) I used to say if this doesnt get fixed, we will be Minnesota. I really feel now like we are Minnesota.... Im really hoping Frost can pull it out....but as they say in politics, there seem to be fewer paths at this point...

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Northwestern is a decent team that might win the West for the second time in 3 years. All in all, we did a lot good or ok. Tied turnovers, had fewer penalty yards, more passing, rushing and total yards. We moved the ball well.  Play calling wasn't awful - except in the redzone.  That has to be a focus.  Mills pounding the ball, Mills as a full back, QB sneak. All that stuff has worked well for short yardage stuff, hopefully we go back to that.

How about true freshman Fleming leading the receivers in his second game?  We know Wandale is great and we need to get him the ball more too. I would like to see him take some snaps at RB still.  Running game is underwhelming.  I think that will look better when these young, talented WRs continue to step up, regardless of who the RB is.

Defensively, I thought we did decent. Two inceptions and a strip sack were great. Hopefully, next time we can jump on that ball. Luuuuuuke Riemer played great and that's exciting.   

Obviously there's a lot of negative things that happened, but I'm going to try to keep my posts in this thread positive vibes only.

I remember Austin saying something about the I-formation not going to be a gimmick.....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraskas-greg-austin-has-plans-for-what-new-job-as-run-game-coordinator-will-entail/article_8bfaa439-b542-5a2a-ace3-da6c94d99d11.html

“We’re going to run zone, we’re going to run power,” he said. “And then there’s the element about us that we’re going to run our old-school stuff that we did last year. But we’re going to be a little bit more structured in how we’re doing it. The implementation of it, the structure of it is going to be more sound. We’re going to be really good at a few things, and not average at a whole bunch of things. And that’s the overall top-down view of it. We’re going to be really good at a few things, and not trying to do everything else under the sun.”

I don't see us really good at anything.  TBH, I'd take average......

• Plus1 2

Start Luke against Penn State and stick with him

If that doesn't work..

Relinquish play calling duties

If that doesn't work

Play/start your most athletic receivers AND most accurate QB.  Trial by fire if necessary.  This offense cannot function without an effective passing game.   Period.  Imagine if Milton at UCF had accuracy problems or the receivers had "get open" problems. Would they have went 13-0?  No chance.

If all else....

Re-evaluate offensive scheme.  Maybe those 2018 UCF caliber athletes are just too hard to come by in Lincoln.

1 hour ago, Husker66 said:

Years ago(this has been going on for close to 2 decades) I used to say if this doesnt get fixed, we will be Minnesota. I really feel now like we are Minnesota.... Im really hoping Frost can pull it out....but as they say in politics, there seem to be fewer paths at this point...

Do you seriously think we are Minnesota? I am sorry by Minnesota has whipped us around lately and they had an excellent season last year. We are slightly better than Illinois right now and may be Rutgers and I say that with utter humbleness as I feel that Rutgers would probably beat us this year if we played them.

let us face it, Frost is lost and he is not even close to turning this around. We can be patient and give him all the time he needs but let us not sugar coat it. If Indiana could turn things around, why can’t he!? He is paid way more than Indiana’s coach and the results do not reflect that.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

Well Frost has been HC/OC play caller for 3 years and we pretty much stink.  I'd be game to see what he and Austin could do calling plays.....My only concern is he and Frost have followed very similar paths......It can't get worse?  Right?

Then again we put up a crap ton of yards, but they just don't translate into points.......Something needs to change.  As others have mentioned ad nauseam, other schools with true freshman/new staff/OC etc are having success immediately.  I'm not saying championships, but you can see a difference.  Not here.....

Frost doesn't seem as trusting as he did when he brought everyone plus his desk from Orlando. Wish he would let some responsibility fall on the shoulders of those he hired to call plays. For the great resume he had before he was hired at UCF, it was because great coaches trusted him. He's a very smart man, but he has yet to prove an ounce of flexibility. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Frost doesn't seem as trusting as he did when he brought everyone plus his desk from Orlando. Wish he would let some responsibility fall on the shoulders of those he hired to call plays. For the great resume he had before he was hired at UCF, it was because great coaches trusted him. He's a very smart man, but he has yet to prove an ounce of flexibility. 

Yup. He’s going to force B10 to adapt to us. That was fun at the time, wasn’t it. I think he’ll run this program into the ground on principle 

10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Yup. He’s going to force B10 to adapt to us. That was fun at the time, wasn’t it. I think he’ll run this program into the ground on principle 

We are so bad at this point, I think the first goal is to get us back to mediocre program (Pelini level) then shoot to get us (back) but unfortunately we are below mediocre 

14 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

And which side of the ball is playing the best? The defense where he doesn't run the show especially during the game. Playing the best they have probably since chin got here and doing it by playing young guys that they recruited for this system.

Yet our hot shot offensive guru turned his hurry up spread offense into whatever it is now.

46 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Mic drop.  That's a great way to explain the current situation.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Stay calm !! Absolutely! I am mad, frustrated, etc.....as a 52 yr old alum with coaching ties, I have as much invested as most on this board.  Why does staying calm help.....well, throwing a fit wont change things....it just puts a bad look for potential recruits whom cruise boards like this. As I followed the game day thread, I was praying no recruit was reading the post and moaning that people were throwing out. Who in their right mind would want to walk into the picture some are painting. Almost EVERYONE on the national media can see improvement. Former players see improvement. Let's stay calm and see what it looks like, or raise hell and create a bigger dumpster fire.

• Plus1 1

Someone suggested hiring a guy named Orgeron but I knew with the current political climate that could never happen here. He’s known as a tough guy.... doesn’t carry a purse..... wouldn’t take the team for ice cream. You get the picture.... let’s just continue to look like a flag football team.

OK.... let's calm down.  We always knew this was a 1-2 win season.  So maybe it's a 0-1 win season.  That's not a material distinction.  Nothing has changed.

Big picture: we have a new regime, and it takes time.  Moreover, the B1G is simply much more competitive than anything we had been used to.   It will take time.  Until then, we're going to get our poop pushed in.  It happens - do not worry.  52-17 is not the new permanent normal, but it is the temporary new normal.  Better times are ahead.

We're on our way.  It might take several more years.  But don't lose the faith: we're coming.  It takes time to recognize issues and to resolve them.  Sit tight.