Stay calm

So are guys like Jerry DiNardo and the BTN crew being more objective than Nebraska fans when they claim to see improvement over last year?  Or are they just being nice to a program that doesn't need another kick in the teeth? 

Play-calling, execution and talent aside for the moment, I think I was most disturbed by the sideline reporter who said a couple Husker players were working the sidelines, disturbed by the lack of enthusiasm from the other players during the first half when Nebraska was actually winning. 

Could this same team beat Penn State Saturday?  I think so. This kind of upset happens every Saturday, and there's no reason Nebraska shouldn't get one sometime. I think it starts with new players getting thrown into the fire and everyone playing like they have nothing to lose. Because they don't. When expectations are this low, you're gambling with house money. 

• Plus1 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:52 AM, lo country said:

We are showing no improvement in year 3 on the offensive side of the ball and special teams.  Year 3, the offense should be able to execute basic plays.  We have one predicated on getting guys in space, creating mismatches with speed, going up tempo and scoring a lot.  

We have now lost 7 of our last 8 games.  I just read that if you take away the Maryland game last year, Frost’s high flying, all gas no brakes, chunk play offense is scoring less than 18 ppg.  That’s laughable. Wan’dale, our most prolific offense player had 4 passes yesterday.  Mills had 6.....,Play calling, inability to develop players is all on Frost.  He needs to seriously reconsider his offensive scheme.  It worked in the AAC when you could get faster athletes, but not now.  Not in the B1G.  Offense puts up yards, but not points......NU needs to drop some serious bank and get an OC who can teach and implement a system......I look at Miami in year one under Lashlee and they are killing it....

Prior to covid, I figured we were still 2021/2022 to figure out what we really were.  Covid hits and I thought this would be the year.  I was completely wrong. The D is looking much improved.   I have no faith in the offensive scheme and have seen nothing to think we will turn the corner anytime soon....

We are now at the bottom of the B1G.  Viewed as a gimme.  An easy game to schedule to get some reps for younger guys, try out a new wrinkle or 2 etc.....

I’m curious, why did you initially think next year would be the validation year, yet because of covid you moved that forward to this year? For a team relying on young players and progress remains to be seen across the board, why would a shortened/disjointed pre season routine coupled with an even tougher schedule put us in a better position to succeed?

• Plus1 2

It's time for Frost to do what he needed to do year 1, play with the team you have and not the team you WISH you had.  Wins are more important than what you want this team to be in 4yrs.  If you continue losing at the rate we are, recruiting is going to be THAT much harder.  Win games, the talent will follow because the culture and the reputation will improve.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I’m curious, why did you initially think next year would be the validation year, yet because of covid you moved that forward to this year? For a team relying on young players and progress remains to be seen across the board, why would a shortened/disjointed pre season routine coupled with an even tougher schedule put us in a better position to succeed?

Good question.  At the end of last year I thought 2021/2022 would be the year to see what we really had.  Give another recruiting cycle, another year of S&C as well as another year in the system.  Then covid hit. The rest of the B1G seemed to shut down. NU continued to work.  Players stayed.  More time for S&C.  The whole team/state/fan base behind the team.  Galvanized the team to pull the same direction.  Get that junk yard dog mentality.....Things felt different.  I bought into the new attitude.  The workman like approach.  I was fooled.  

In regards to our season, same teams save Rutgers and OOC.  It's no tougher, just a no byes.....Again, it was a gut feeling.....

I will say the same thing I said after the OSU game:

I am waiting to watch a turnover free game by our offense.

I am waiting to see a game with fewer than 5 penalties on Nebraska.

I am waiting to win the Special Teams yardage battle.  

If Nebraska had done just those three things, the OSU game would have been much closer and they most likely beat Northwestern.   

Those three things fall squarely on the coaches. 

• Plus1 3

12 hours ago, Redux said:

I'm at the point where watching a full game doesn't sound fun anymore.  I used to plan entire weekends around Nebraska vs Cream Puff U.  Now it's an inconvenience to set 4hrs aside for a massive disappointment.  This program is in shambles.  It's not Callahan's fault anymore.  It's not Bo or Riley's fault really either.  It's on Frost now by default but let's be frank, he took over a team that's so far removed from being competitive that nobody in their right mind at a chance to play on Sunday's would entertain the notion of coming here.  All we do is find ways to lose, look confused on the field and play down to whoever we face.  1 out of every 4 or 5 guys plays with passion.  Put a different uniform on this team, anyone actually want to watch them play?  

I am so glad you said this. I have been wanting to say this for a while now but I am afraid of being labeled a horrible fan or a troll. It is exactly how I feel every time the Huskers play. It is just so painful to watch us repeat the same crap every game...same undisciplined play, penalties, bad play calling, and uninspired and boring (un)special teams play. Every team shows some spark every now and then but our team just finds creative new ways to lose. It is depressing watching other teams play. I got to the point where I envy Iowa state...can’t get worst than that....

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am so glad you said this. I have been wanting to say this for a while now but I am afraid of being labeled a horrible fan or a troll. It is exactly how I feel every time the Huskers play. It is just so painful to watch us repeat the same crap every game...same undisciplined play, penalties, bad play calling, and uninspired and boring (un)special teams play. Every team shows some spark every now and then but our team just finds creative new ways to lose. It is depressing watching other teams play. I got to the point where I envy Iowa state...can’t get worst than that....

unfortunately I was here 5 years ago....

Every year, going back to Bo, I've bring up our recruiting (or lack thereof) and every year I get chewed out and told that our classes are "just fine" and that "stars don't matter." I thought kids would come to play for Frost following his success at UCF but it just hasn't happened. Maybe it's just true that no good players want to come play in the middle of nowhere? 

• Plus1 1
On 11/9/2020 at 9:00 PM, huskerfan74 said:

God forbid you voice any criticism, otherwise you're told that you're not a true fan and maybe you should find another team to cheer for

• Fire 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, Archy1221 said:

I will say the same thing I said after the OSU game:

I am waiting to watch a turnover free game by our offense.

I am waiting to see a game with fewer than 5 penalties on Nebraska.

I am waiting to win the Special Teams yardage battle.  

If Nebraska had done just those three things, the OSU game would have been much closer and they most likely beat Northwestern.   

Those three things fall squarely on the coaches. 

I can't disagree enough..

- Turnovers... coaches can't control that. 

- Penalties... If you or anyone thinks we are fairly officiated, think again. Even Mr. Nice Guy Riley commented on the bias.

- Special Teams Return Yardage... Tell me, when teams kick "thru the end zone" or.. short punts/intentional bouncer/pouch... against you are you saying to your athletes that you want them to dart to the ball, grab the bounce and run? No, you will tell them to get away just as any coach would. 

- Special Teams defense.. sometimes sh!t happens and sometimes it's allowed to happen (meaning flags unthrown). Our players efforts were there. NW simply made a couple blocks. Maybe you can blame the punter but the effort to tackle was there. 

Punt returns develop, they aren't automatic. Same with kickoffs. 

Lastly, so Nebraska is an ugly duckling right now.. I personally think this ugly duckling is very close to becoming that beautiful swan. 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Every year, going back to Bo, I've bring up our recruiting (or lack thereof) and every year I get chewed out and told that our classes are "just fine" and that "stars don't matter." I thought kids would come to play for Frost following his success at UCF but it just hasn't happened. Maybe it's just true that no good players want to come play in the middle of nowhere? 

I'm pretty happy that players such as Bryce Benhart, Nick Heinrich, Luke McCaffrey, Wandale Robinson, Ty Robinson, Turner Corcoran and Marcus Fleming chose Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Hello sir, I haven't seen you around the recruiting forum much, but it's good to have you. 

Nebraska has had the top class in the B1G West in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and has the top class now for 2020. No, we don't pull the 5 *'s that Ohio St does... no one in the country outside of Alabama and Clemson do that (okay, maybe Georgia). Recruiting is just fine, it is playing those top recruits against West opponents and getting smacked that hurts. Recruiting looks good again in 2020 and we should finish with the top class in the West.  

• Plus1 2