Most disturbing thing I have seen in last two games.

Believe it or not, it is not so much the losing but how the head coach and team react afterwards.

While am not a college (or high school) coach, i have coach for 22 seasons and i have watched, read and learned from really good coaches.  Scott and his players are doing one thing that I would never allow any of my teams to do after a lose, no matter how poorly they played.  It has a huge affect on team mentality.  that one thing, is hang their heads....  I get being sad at a loss and playing fairly well but not well enough to win.  Scott should not be hanging his head!  he does that and every one of the player interviews afterwards the players were doing the same thing.  in my opinion (humble) that breeds the "here we go again" mentality.  I have seen this head hanging after Ohio State and again after Northwestern.  They need to end that behavior asap. 

again, this is my experience and opinion.  what is yours?  

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

Believe it or not, it is not so much the losing but how the head coach and team react afterwards.

While am not a college (or high school) coach, i have coach for 22 seasons and i have watched, read and learned from really good coaches.  Scott and his players are doing one thing that I would never allow any of my teams to do after a lose, no matter how poorly they played.  It has a huge affect on team mentality.  that one thing, is hang their heads....  I get being sad at a loss and playing fairly well but not well enough to win.  Scott should not be hanging his head!  he does that and every one of the player interviews afterwards the players were doing the same thing.  in my opinion (humble) that breeds the "here we go again" mentality.  I have seen this head hanging after Ohio State and again after Northwestern.  They need to end that behavior asap. 

He needs to yell at them. Maybe he does. Particularly the stupid penalty people. I think he needs to cut them down and build them up. He seems like a cry baby and prima Donna at times.  He could use a little Mike Gundy. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, San Diego Husker said:

I haven't seen anyone hang their heads. I've seen coaches and players upset after losing a game to a much better opponent, and upset after letting a game get away from them against a lesser opponent.

But hang their heads? Nah. Haven't seen that.

Super hot take, though. Edgy. Probably felt cathartic to type up.

I get what you’re saying to a degree..

but the “hang your head” thing is kind of for like 4th-8th graders. 

these are highly recruited players who have been in football for 12+ yrs at this point. I don’t see total body language problems at all. That would be worse, because that leads to a lack of care or effort. Body language is good. 

if a coach stood up in a team huddle and hollered “don’t hang your heads” in order to solve problems, that would be a bad look. 

most of these players can make plays, but we don’t have a s#!t ton of skill. Coaches have not put them in great positions to make plays on a consistent basis. That IS the problem—good but not great skill, fair to mediocre coaching. Hanging heads isn’t a problem. 

20 hours ago, krc1995 said:

He needs to yell at them. Maybe he does. Particularly the stupid penalty people. I think he needs to cut them down and build them up. He seems like a cry baby and prima Donna at times.  He could use a little Mike Gundy. 

When I was playing ball if you screwed up and got called for penalties you were doing push ups and running...lots and lots of running.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Everyone needs to relax.  The defense is light years ahead of where they were 10 months ago.  They had modified spring practice and started playing in October.  The special teams are no longer a joke.

I'm in the camp that this all goes away with a change or two.  I believe they are going to happen.

Meanwhile Indiana is almost in the top ten 

19 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Everyone needs to relax.  The defense is light years ahead of where they were 10 months ago.  They had modified spring practice and started playing in October.  The special teams are no longer a joke.

I'm in the camp that this all goes away with a change or two.  I believe they are going to happen.

I agree the defense looks better.  Oddly enough somewhat better in the 1st half IMHO.  Williams needs to learn when to lay a guy out and when to make the safe tackle.  That 2nd half tackling though....

On 11/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

The special teams are still a joke. The punt and kickoff coverage are slow and horrendous. The punter gets zero hangtime and (thankfully for the coverage unit) doesn't punt it over 40 yards. The kicker is questionable from inside 40. Special teams are a bit better than last year but still a long way to go. 

• Plus1 1

I would rather see guys hang their heads than laughing and smiling after a loss.  I had times playing when I wanted to punch teammates in the face after the game.  Usually guys on the offensive side of the ball who were part of a s#!tty offense acting like they didn't just get embarrassed.  If guys are "hanging" their head it at least tells me they care.

• Plus1 2
On 11/8/2020 at 7:35 PM, San Diego Husker said:

No one has hung their heads. Frost said Saturday he was confident that the team wouldn't. People need to get a grip.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:24 AM, gobiggergoredder said:

We will see over the next few games but too early to tell on the defense imo. Ohio St scored 52 and NW has the worst offense in the B10