Practices This Week

Welp, if I'm Frost, this week's practices will consist primarily of the number one offense lined up against the number one defense starting at the 20 yard line, and being told to score. And I'm doing that over and over and over until I figure out the plays that get us into the end zone against a defense with a pulse. One more thing. What the heck happened to the qb sneak???? Several times I yelled at the tv when the qb lined up in shotgun with one yard to gain for the first down. QB SNEAK! Why make that more difficult than it should be? 

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Welp, if I'm Frost, this week's practices will consist primarily of the number one offense lined up against the number one defense starting at the 20 yard line, and being told to score. And I'm doing that over and over and over until I figure out the plays that get us into the end zone against a defense with a pulse. One more thing. What the heck happened to the qb sneak???? Several times I yelled at the tv when the qb lined up in shotgun with one yard to gain for the first down. QB SNEAK! Why make that more difficult than it should be? 

I'm with you on the QB sneak, Frost is to hard headed to see and admit to the value.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

especially when they rarely go under center.  

Agreed - LM fumbled one under center in the Ohio State game if I remember correctly. 

To the OP, I get the frustration but we just need repetition - 1's vs 1's would just create a lot of injuries.   Most teams on most years get to work out the kinks on lessor opponents.  With our lack of experience at several positions, we started at a disadvantage.  I would venture to guess you never see in your lifetime another Nebraska game where we have 28 first downs and score less than 20 points.  The system works- just need to eliminate a few more of the mistakes.      

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agreed - LM fumbled one under center in the Ohio State game if I remember correctly. 

To the OP, I get the frustration but we just need repetition - 1's vs 1's would just create a lot of injuries.   Most teams on most years get to work out the kinks on lessor opponents.  With our lack of experience at several positions, we started at a disadvantage.  I would venture to guess you never see in your lifetime another Nebraska game where we have 28 first downs and score less than 20 points.  The system works- just need to eliminate a few more of the mistakes.      

If this was just a theme for this season thus far, I'd agree. But I think for the last three years, we have been one of the worst red zone teams in the BIG. It's like the team gets inside the 20 and think their work is done, play calling also becomes suspect. Frost needs to figure out what works from a play calling perspective within this offense to get tds on the board. The team needs to get over the red zone jitters or whatever it might be. I don't know how else you get past it. 

Additionally. We threw two interceptions into the end zone. I don't think we're going to stop passing for a touchdown because of that. The rationale that Luke fumbled a snap under center once, so we shouldn't go back to it doesn't hold water. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If this was just a theme for this season thus far, I'd agree. But I think for the last three years, we have been one of the worst red zone teams in the BIG. It's like the team gets inside the 20 and think their work is done, play calling also becomes suspect. Frost needs to figure out what works from a play calling perspective within this offense to get tds on the board. The team needs to get over the red zone jitters or whatever it might be. I don't know how else you get past it. 

Additionally. We threw two interceptions into the end zone. I don't think we're going to stop passing for a touchdown because of that. The rationale that Luke fumbled a snap under center once, so we shouldn't go back to it doesn't hold water. 

In 2018 we actually ranked fairly well scoring in the red zone at 39th nationally and 5th in the B1G (ahead of Clemson).  We finished at 89%.  2019 we dropped considerably because we had very few talented players and were missing almost 2 full classes of Juniors and seniors.  Scheme can move the ball between the 20s much easier than it can in the red zone.  Talent differences really start to show when the field is compressed.  I say all of that because yesterday really is an outlier.  It is extremely rare to dominate an opponent the way we did and only score 13 points...    

Regarding under center, I was simply agreeing that we haven't done it much and that on the only LM under center I remember, it was fumbled.  I agree we need to do it some, and maybe he was supposed to?  Scott did say LM had them in the wrong formation.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I hear that everyone is playing at a high level.

We're light years ahead of where we were just last year.

We've made great strides in all areas of tempo.

We're working on a couple of base plays that are our bread and butter plays.

We're simplifying the offense so that we can get more people in.

Anyone else getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over but never actually seeing it happen?

Maybe I've simply missed those comments the past couple of days.  What I have heard is Frost offering fair and warranted criticism of Martinez' play, acknowledgement that we need playmakers more involved and that the penalties are a major issue.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1