Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So... he violated election laws in a completely fruitless attempt to have a done deal reconsidered?

That is peak trump, that's what that is.

Imagine voting for this guy!  :lol::rolleyes:

I also found this interesting. She's worried about doing this because of the right-wing nutjobs with guns in her state.

The other thought that occurred to me is it will make the dumb people question the legitimacy of the election even more, even if it doesn't accomplish anything tangible.

• Plus1 3

This is what trumpists and those who look the other way are doing to our democracy. 

No more happy talk about the "uniquely American transition of power." Trump presidency and this post-election period confirm that the US is *less* committed to democratic norms - and has *weaker* institutional safeguards for democracy - than peer wealthy democracies. 
I asked a German diplomat friend to detail the safeguards against, say, a German chancellor trying to extend her tenure despite losing an election. He replied that such a thing was utterly impossible, he couldn't begin to enumerate the reasons why. And he was right of course. 
Nobody wondered, "Will Gordon Brown or Theresa May leave office if defeated?" Ditto the Netherlands, New Zealand, and newer democracies like Portugal or South Korea. Democratic culture is deep, and election law is administered impartially. For all the boasting, not true in USA 
Normally, inauguration day is a day of self-congratulation. This next one should be a day of self-reflection - and commitment to self-improvement. The US not only lags other democracies - it has regressed even by its own standards. Time for a new era of reform. 
And reform begins with acceptance of some grim and unwanted realities.

The problems are not "on both sides."

The illiberal authoritarianism of some dean of students somewhere is not equivalent to illiberal authoritarianism by the Attorney General of the United States. 
Renewal of democratic institutions in the United States should be *non*-partisan - outside the everyday work of government - but cannot be *bi*-partisan when one party is so committed to (or frightened of) the individual leading the attack on democratic institutions. 
And of course it's not just Trump.

As I detail in these 3 related articles

theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/…

even the non-Trump Republican party has committed itself to a program of minority rule 
It's hard thus to imagine that Congress can effectively conduct an investigation into Trump-era abuses by itself - since so many Republicans in Congress accepted, protected, and even connived in those abuses - and since so many Republicans in the states are now adding to the list 
An independent commission with subpoena power is what is needed instead - tasked to recommend reform measures - and supported by a citizen movement outside the party system to pressure for state and federal reforms for voting rights, fair elections, and an honest Executive branch 
A reader registers the below objection to the foregoing. (Answer coming)Image
Now counter-question

How does "liberty" - or more exactly the democratic idea of regulating state power by impartial law - get into the hearts of men and women in the first place?

It's not innate! By nature, we prefer that our tribe dominate. The democratic idea is learned. 
Learned how?

Learned by practice, and practice based upon laws and institutions.

(Remember Tocqueville's astute remarks on the importance of jury duty to self-government?)

So we have to build our institutions fair and strong to foster individual commitment to democracy 
The Republican thralldom to Trump followed 20 years of undoing voting rights and civil rights. Republicans became acculturated gradually first to minority rule, then to authoritarian rule. Trump's false allegations of fraud rest on carefully nurtured prejudices. 
I'm going on too long. But if anybody is still bearing with me, one last point ... 
If I've had any one message in everything I've written about Trump and Trumpism since 2015 ... it's that the direct involvement of the people in elections is democracy's LAST line of defense, not its first.

Joe Biden summoned 80 million Americans to defend democracy. Great, but that massive collective undertaking only followed the internal failure of the checks and balances erected to protect democracy in the long intervals between elections. And as we saw in 2020, malign actors can corrode voting rights during those long intervals between elections 

80 million people voted to eject Trump and replace him. One official at the General Services Administration has successfully defied that vote for some 2 weeks. In a more democratic culture, she'd say No. The story of the Trump years is how many like her have said Yes. 
Ok the (belated) end. For now. 
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

What???  If someone believes a party in control has gerrymandered districts, then they need to bring a court case forward.   This isn’t rocket science.  Why do you keep bringing this up to me.  Gerrymandering is wrong and I believe both sides of the isle try to re-district as much as they can to help their own cause and take it as far they can before crossing that line.   Some go too far and get caught. It’s stupid. 

You don't have to "believe it".  All you have to do is look at maps to see that it happens.  I also firmly believe that both parties do it in certain states.  However, interestingly....the movement to change things so it doesn't happen seems to only be coming from one side.  The other side fights the effort.  That should tell you something.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

@Archy1221 I'm still trying to figure out how you know all of these deep secrets and the rest of us all are so ignorant and alone in the dark on them...and we need someone like you to enlighten us because we are just so unintelligent and unable to determine fact from fiction...we need you to save us from ourselves.  (this seems to be the tone and message of all your posts together)

It's funny...because when I was in a high control religious cult...they said the same thing.  They said that only they had the truth.  They said that everyone else was mislead.  They said you couldn't trust any other source of news but the ones they approved..namely, their own publications.  They misquoted scientists to 'prove' evolution false.  They misquoted physicists to make them seem like they believed in a creator.  They lied, they misinformed, and they berated anyone who dared tell them different.  And they sure as hell couldn't debate with anyone because they kept morphing their answers to fit whatever narrative they were pushing at that time.

At this point in time, it's fairly clear that your judgement is quite clouded and you're attempting to sway opinion based on conjecture, op eds, and misinformation.

In closing, you're using misinformation, poor quoting, poor sourcing and you're trying to dismiss factual evidence...and I'm not sure what it's going to get you or what you're trying to accomplish in doing so.

Please enlighten me on what “deep secrets” I have claimed to know.  

I have never claimed nor said I am trying to save you from yourself or your thoughts.   I just pint out all of you and knapps lies.  Be more truthful and I will respond less.  It’s ok to say GOP sucks/ you disagree with policies/ Trump is a bad President.  Just don’t make up blatant lies.  @KnappIctried to say Schiff is a bastion of Teuth when it comes to Russia and that couldn’t be any further from the truth and I point that out based on INDEPENDENT IG reports and Congressional Testimony written in articles. Just cause you hate the source doesn’t make it incorrect.  

you being in a cult is a you problem not a me problem so not sure why I’m involved. Looks like you could use some therapy because it obviously seems to bother you still.  And I’m not making light of mental Therapy.  It works well as members of my family can attest.  

Get mad and angry all you want, but burying your head in one side of opinion and refusing to acknowledge facts can be a harmful thing.  Learn a little about about Group Think and the reason it’s bad.  And it certainly doesn’t help move conversation forward.  

In closing, most of you have tried gaslighting, using strawman arguments, or flat lying about stuff I never said.   At least you tried once to respond with specifics When refuting.  I re-posted the link for you.  I assume it showed up the second time.  Your last post is just a bunch of conjecture, blabber, and complaining about everything and hoping made sense yet pointing out nothing specific.  That might work in a cult but not with me.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You don't have to "believe it".  All you have to do is look at maps to see that it happens.  I also firmly believe that both parties do it in certain states.  However, interestingly....the movement to change things so it doesn't happen seems to only be coming from one side.  The other side fights the effort.  That should tell you something.

So bring a lawsuit. Run for office and make it your priority.  Start a grassroots effort to get the issue on the forefront 

What do you want me to say or do that I haven’t already??  Gerrymandering is illegal and shouldn’t happen.  Both parties do it and unfortunately it doesn’t get called out enough.  Reform needs to take place.  We are on the same side here yet you continue to try to argue for some reason I can’t comprehend.   

And while we come together on gerrymandering, let’s add in term limits for both houses of Congress so we can actually get things accomplished in DC 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So bring a lawsuit. Run for office and make it your priority.  Start a grassroots effort to get the issue on the forefront 

What do you want me to say or do that I haven’t already??  Gerrymandering is illegal and shouldn’t happen.  Both parties do it and unfortunately it doesn’t get called out enough.  Reform needs to take place.  We are on the same side here yet you continue to try to argue for some reason I can’t comprehend.   

And while we come together on gerrymandering, let’s add in term limits for both houses of Congress so we can actually get things accomplished in DC 

Support the effort to change it instead of acting like nothing needs changed. 

• Plus1 2