Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

1 minute ago, Redux said:

If Trump somehow managed to steal this back, or the House ended up deciding and it went his favor, is it even worth it for Republicans?  Because you're basically forfeiting the next 10-20 years of control.

How? It would have no affect on the people who vote for them.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How? It would have no affect on the people who vote for them.

Trump voters and Republican voters are not always the same voters.  I think that gets lost more times than not.

Trump taking the seat back would feel like blatant theft to even a lot of Republican voters who have been pretty staunch that transparency and vote integrity is important.  Even some Trumpers at this point would be a bit turned off by it.  But Trump votes aren't what I'm talking about anyways, they are irrelevant if he steals it back.  The stain this would leave on the idea of Republicans would be pretty damaging in terms of public perception.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Redux said:

Trump voters and Republican voters are not always the same voters.  I think that gets lost more times than not.

Trump taking the seat back would feel like blatant theft to even a lot of Republican voters who have been pretty staunch that transparency and vote integrity is important.  Even some Trumpers at this point would be a bit turned off by it.  But Trump votes aren't what I'm talking about anyways, they are irrelevant if he steals it back.  The stain this would leave on the idea of Republicans would be pretty damaging in terms of public perception.

I think something like 95% of Republicans voted for Trump. I don't think it would matter to them. I've seen way too many people arguing that all of what's been going on the past 3 weeks is ok because we're not a democracy. What they've tolerated up to now makes it pretty clear, imo, they'd be cool with it and even praise it.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think something like 95% of Republicans voted for Trump. I don't think it would matter to them. I've seen way too many people arguing that all of what's been going on the past 3 weeks is ok because we're not a democracy.

That sounds high to me. But regardless, the after effects of a Trump win via nefarious/what can be spotlighted as nefarious would be damaging to the party as a whole.  I've talked to plenty of Red ties who share this sentiment, it may not be worth it in the long run.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

That sounds high to me. But regardless, the after effects of a Trump win via nefarious/what can be spotlighted as nefarious would be damaging to the party as a whole.  I've talked to plenty of Red ties who share this sentiment, it may not be worth it in the long run.

If Trump is able to steal the Presidency, then I'm not sure we get to vote again, so not sure it matters.

However, there's no way Trump gets to keep the office unless either the House Dems vote him in (not going to happen) or there's an armed coup in which case these "hearings" about the vote count don't matter. Here's an explanation covering the possibilities (edit: fyi he drops a few f-bombs in the video):

• Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

The 1 vote per state scenario is the popular hail mary situation the Trumpers are using right now.

As that video explains, that only happens under a contested election under the 12th Amendment, but we'll never get to that point unless the House Dems are morons (which I guess is possible but extremely unlikely).

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

As that video explains, that only happens under a contested election under the 12th Amendment, but we'll never get to that point unless the House Dems are morons (which I guess is possible but extremely unlikely).

Correct, but it's still on the table.  That's why Trumpers are eating this refusal to concede up.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Correct, but it's still on the table.  That's why Trumpers are eating this refusal to concede up.

Sure, but it requires the majority of House Dems to vote for Trump. I wonder how many Trumper heads would explode if they knew that their scenario required the Dems to vote for Trump.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Sure, but it requires the majority of House Dems to vote for Trump. I wonder how many Trumper heads would explode if they knew that their scenario required the Dems to vote for Trump.

If the election gets to the House - it is one vote per state delegation  - the GOP controls 26 state delegations in the House and the Dems control 24.  If it came to a House vote, Trump is elected. 

Just now, TGHusker said:

If the election gets to the House - it is one vote per state delegation  - the GOP controls 26 state delegations in the House and the Dems control 24.  If it came to a House vote, Trump is elected. 

No, that's only under the 12th Amendment as a contested election, but the Dems in the House can stop the process before it ever becomes contested. Details in the video I linked earlier.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, that's only under the 12th Amendment as a contested election, but the Dems in the House can stop the process before it ever becomes contested. Details in the video I linked earlier.

the video is 50 min - what is the Readers Digest version?  Thanks