Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

15 hours ago, Scarlet said:

After four years of this corruption and ineptitude that's the best your meetings came up with?  Obamacare and Libya?  Lol...

It's not necessary to laundry list the failures and foibles of the Obama-Biden regime.  I only need to show how the really bad things they do, that end a lot more than 6 lives, are not impeachable offenses.

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

IMO, Trump has 100% shot any opportunity of a presidential run in 2024 straight in the foot, impeachment aside.

He has a strong supporter base, but elections are not won based on how well you convince the plebs in your party to vote for you. Elections are won by how well you can convince the swing voters to vote for you. Most of the Trump supporters I've known over the last few years are 100% out on him after the events of the last couple of months, and he has even fractured the 'Proud Boy' elements of his supporter base after conceding to a peaceful transition of power.

I suppose in a thread of political junkies it's never too early to forecast.  But it's too early to forecast with any certainty.   This will blow over and be forgotten once the public endures it's first 4-5 months of one party rule under a very unlikable Biden.  Even a Grover Cleveland redux is unknowable. 

But Trump doesn't have to win anything to torpedo their chances in 2024.  Trump could run under the Monarchist Party and peel off enough votes that the R candidate would have no realistic chance.  And Trump is just the man who would do it.  That's why 10 RINOs chasing their temporary spotlight are dragging the party very close to a cliff. 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I suppose in a thread of political junkies it's never too early to forecast.  But it's too early to forecast with any certainty.   This will blow over and be forgotten once the public endures it's first 4-5 months of one party rule under a very unlikable Biden.  Even a Grover Cleveland redux is unknowable. 

But Trump doesn't have to win anything to torpedo their chances in 2024.  Trump could run under the Monarchist Party and peel off enough votes that the R candidate would have no realistic chance.  And Trump is just the man who would do it.  That's why 10 RINOs chasing their temporary spotlight are dragging the party very close to a cliff. 

IMO this overestimates Trump's support base. The tail end of his tenure has been a cataclysmic disappointment, he splintered his own support base (and I don't think it will blow over, as you predict) and he would only be a one-term president. There's not a lot to like there.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

IMO this overestimates Trump's support base. The tail end of his tenure has been a cataclysmic disappointment, he splintered his own support base (and I don't think it will blow over, as you predict) and he would only be a one-term president. There's not a lot to like there.

For once I agree with NDJ. Assuming the Republicans manage to field a decent candidate, if Trump could get even 3% of the vote he could take enough of it that it helps the Democrat win. The thing with Trump is he has obsessive supporters. I could see him getting 10-15% of the vote as an independent.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

For once I agree with NDJ. Assuming the Republicans manage to field a decent candidate, if Trump could get even 3% of the vote he could take enough of it that it helps the Democrat win. The thing with Trump is he has obsessive supporters. I could see him getting 10-15% of the vote as an independent.

And Trump got a lot of borderline-independent voters that ignored the Romney and won't necessarily turn out for any old R.  The question of the next R is can he hang onto the working class coalition.  Lose that wing and it's one party government for a generation. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And Trump got a lot of borderline-independent voters that ignored the Romney and won't necessarily turn out for any old R.  The question of the next R is can he hang onto the working class coalition.  Lose that wing and it's one party government for a generation. 

a very narrow angry violent far right wing republican party won't win a lot of elections.  

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Fair points, but then let me ask this - would Trump go through the song and dance of running as a third party candidate knowing he would more than likely lose, given all we know about his ego and superiority complex?

Trump doesn't seem like the type of person who would be satisfied knowing he's going to lose and only getting 10-15% of the vote with no presidency, even if he wanted to stick it to Republicans for some reason.

Just now, Enhance said:

Fair points, but then let me ask this - would Trump go through the song and dance of running as a third party candidate knowing he would more than likely lose, given all we know about his ego and superiority complex?

Trump doesn't seem like the type of person who would be satisfied knowing he's going to lose and only getting 10-15% of the vote with no presidency, even if he wanted to stick it to Republicans for some reason.

He's run for president multiple times knowing he's going to lose. He just accidentally won one. I believe they never really expected to win in 2016, but once they did, trump got a taste for power and figured out how he could profit from it and that's going to be his MO for the rest of his life.

He stands to make a lot of money in the next four years conducting rallies for his followers. There's no chance he passes that up.

And if he feels spurned by the GOP, he could easily run against them out of spite. That seems wholly within his character.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1