Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I somewhat disagree.

Democrats protect Republican voters from themselves often enough as it is. Let Republicans themselves figure it out. America needs them to get it together because Democrats can't just keep pulling them forward kicking and screaming anymore. 

They are not going to figure it out. This will go one of two ways. Their numbers will dwindle enough that things will be okay. Or one of them takes over and becomes just like Putin. And who I won’t feel sorry for is the Republican leaders who get murdered by this person, since they brought it on themselves when they could have done the right thing. Oh, and the regular Republicans will say (after it’s spouted by their state media) “well if it wasn’t the Republicans the Democrats would have taken over!”

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like Scott and totally agree. I am not sure why there is rage on the right or the 'we finally got him' response on the left. 

Having worked in secure environments before, I have seen minor violations where people make honest mistakes. Then there are malicious ones. Taking docs home would be a major mistake or malicious. The only way that happens by mistake is if someone put something in their backpack they didn't mean to. Maybe an engineer making notes in a notebook that should not have left the facility. Anyone with Trumps level of security would know not to do this, but with his personality I would not put it past him to ignore security protocols because they can be tedious to follow.  I could also see him taking stuff home to protect some legal case and that would be a major violation. 

I would love to know what docs he had and if the FBI found any, but we will only ever know if they found something, not what it was. No way we ever find out what it was. That said....if they were marked classified it doesn't matter.

The problem here is that most people do not understand Gov security and this will enrage and motive the Trump voters. I would be concerned about how that rage starts to manifest itself. 

Honestly if this somehow disqualifies Trump from running in 2024 that is fine. There are plenty of interesting candidates. Maybe I won't have to vote for Kayne West.;)

• Plus1 2

This says so much about the person raided yesterday. 

And it says so much about the kind of person who would continue to support him. 

A former federal prosecutor and general counsel for the F.B.I. explains the process and implications of obtaining a search warrant on the home of a former President.

What’s your biggest takeaway from Monday’s events?

The usual way to get documents from somebody you trust is to give them a subpoena. Almost any time that the government is trying to get documents from a corporation, they do it by issuing a subpoena, or even by informal request. With any normal civilian, you will issue a subpoena and the person will collect the documents and produce them.

You use a search warrant, and not a subpoena, when you don’t believe that the person is actually going to comply. For me, the biggest takeaway is that the Attorney General of the United States had to make the determination that it was appropriate in this situation to proceed by search warrant because they could not be confident that the former President of the United States would comply with a grand-jury subpoena.

8 minutes ago, nic said:

The problem here is that most people do not understand Gov security and this will enrage and motive the Trump voters.

We can't be concerned with what they'll get mad about, we have to focus on what's legal. We have yet to find the thing that will not enrage them.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

No it's not an honest question.  It's diagnosis of the mind of the liberal who apparently projects what he does. 

You persecute advisors to your political enemy on any pretense; conservatives do not. 

You harass Supreme Court Justices when Constitution is read plainly; conservative do not.

You raided a former President's home; conservatives do no such thing.

We have met the enemy and it is you. 

It was a loaded question but an honest question.

And you still haven't answered it.

It was pretty funny how you painted conservatives as the folks who decline to persecute or harass their adversaries. The GOP is loaded with hatchet men.

I guess all we can do is drift back to 2016 when the same FBI announced an investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails 11 days before the election, effectively handing the Presidency to Donald Trump. Remember how Republicans refused to witch hunt Hillary Clinton, and never even dreamed of chants, t-shirts and bumper stickers to  "lock her up!"

You also seem to forget that evidence and witnesses against Trump are far from just feckless liberals. It's the President's own appointees, the Republican secretaries of state, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Trump's former lawyers, his former business associates, the many people he screwed in a 40 year career of well-documented grifting, and Liz Cheny. Their mindset, as you put it, is a refusal to play along with a disturbed and narcissistic child who would throw the entire country under the bus to save his toupee.

Someday you'll have to admit this. You can remain a conservative, but you'll need to apologize for those last two votes. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was a loaded question but an honest question.

And you still haven't answered it.

It was pretty funny how you painted conservatives as the folks who decline to persecute or harass their adversaries. The GOP is loaded with hatchet men.

I guess all we can do is drift back to 2016 when the same FBI announced an investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails 11 days before the election, effectively handing the Presidency to Donald Trump. Remember how Republicans refused to witch hunt Hillary Clinton, and never even dreamed of chants, t-shirts and bumper stickers to  "lock her up!"

You also seem to forget that evidence and witnesses against Trump are far from just feckless liberals. It's the President's own appointees, the Republican secretaries of state, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Trump's former lawyers, his former business associates, the many people he screwed in a 40 year career of well-documented grifting, and Liz Cheny. Their mindset, as you put it, is a refusal to play along with a disturbed and narcissistic child who would throw the entire country under the bus to save his toupee.

Someday you'll have to admit this. You can remain a conservative, but you'll need to apologize for those last two votes. 

Don't forget withholding aid from Ukraine until they announced dirt on Biden. 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is my concern. We’ve seen what this group is capable of on Jan 6. 

Hopefully our system will be ready.  Of course on Jan 6, the guy in charge caused, enabled, & supported Jan 6. Maybe throw some more of those Proud Boys and Oath Keepers into long term lock down will help.  Plus prosecute those in Congress who may have helped.  The Dems need to keep control of Congress, not because I agree with all of their policies, but because I love my country and want it preserved. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Don't forget withholding aid from Ukraine until they announced dirt on Biden. 

I also didn't mention James O'Keefe and Project Veritas.

Or abortion clinic bombings. 

Or January 6.

Yep. Those conservatives sure have cornered the market on integrity.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I could swear I've read a half dozen headlines like this over the past 6 years, and yet nothing happens. 

Yep, seems like he has a lot of smoke regarding the financial matters but it all goes nowhere.  

More "I can be a bigger Idiot than you!" statements by GOPers.  Both happen to be from Florida. 

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-fbi-search/

Responding to the FBI's raid on Mar-a-Lago, Florida GOP state Rep. Anthony Sabatini has called for his state's legislature to break away from federal agencies.

“It’s time for us in the Florida Legislature to call an emergency legislative session & amend our laws regarding federal agencies,” Sabatini wrote on Twitter this Tuesday.

"Sever all ties with DOJ immediately," he added. "Any FBI agent conducting law enforcement functions outside the purview of our State should be arrested upon sight."

As The Daily Beast points out, Sabatini was a supporter of Trump's false claims that the 2020 election was stolen.

https://www.rawstory.com/matt-gaetz-trump-raid/

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) called to defund the law enforcement capabilities of the Department of Justice after former President Donald Trump's Florida home was raided by the FBI.

During an interview with conservative podcaster Steve Bannon, Gaetz compared the FBI to East German Stasi officers.

"They just wanted to storm the place like the East German Stasi," the congressman insisted. "This is in my opinion the most defining moment of the Joe Biden presidency. Before this, it would have been Afghanistan."

Gaetz suggested that Biden was behind the raid that occurred after Democrats "got their polling back" on the Inflation Reduction Act.

• Plus1 1