Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm of the unpopular opinion, at least for a liberal person, that he should be allowed to run and possibly win.

He should not be allowed to run, but not necessarily because of this. He should not be allowed to run because he first tried to subvert the elections and then attempted a coup, but it was up to congress to impeach him and make it so he’s ineligible. 

People who attempt coups should not be allowed to hold political office. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He should not be allowed to run, but not necessarily because of this. He should not be allowed to run because he first tried to subvert the elections and then attempted a coup, but it was up to congress to impeach him and make it so he’s ineligible. 

People who attempt coups should not be allowed to hold political office. 

And the unbelievable thing is, this point shouldn’t even be questioned. Not holding public office, let alone President, should be the absolute bare minimum consequence. He should be in jail or shot for sedition/treason. I mean they still do that in the military don’t they? He was commander in chief.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

All this is actually a win/win in my view as there are only 2 scenarios to play out.

1). This turns out to be a nothing burger and the Biden DOJ is shown to head hunting a political opponent.   Or

2). Trump took the documents in question and is convicted of a felony, can’t run for office and DeSantis mops the floor with any of the Dem candidates.   

Either is fine by me.  

Ignoring your preference for DeSantis and option number 2, how do you think option 1 is even a possibility given what has been reported by anyone not in the bag for Trump/MAGA and why would that be fine by you?

47 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Ok so now maybe some of the docs, planted by the FBI, are classified.   

I'm pretty sure this defense of the moment will pass by morning once it's kicked around by his legal team a bit more.

They're going to have to prove the documents were declassified if they didn't put it in writing, and if they did the FBI would have already known about it. But I believe he still wasn't allowed to have them even if they had been declassified. 

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They're going to have to prove the documents were declassified if they didn't put it in writing, and if they did the FBI would have already known about it. But I believe he still wasn't allowed to have them even if they had been declassified. 

Even a "president" can't declassify state secrets on a whim.

The Executive branch is just one of three prongs of the government. They do not have universal power.

• Plus1 1