Knowing what we know now, at this moment....

Cdog923

If you could have a mulligan...  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Revisionist history time

• Scott Frost
    • Matt Campbell
    • Dan Mullen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/14/2020 at 05:59 AM

12 hours ago, lo country said:

This is like b!^@hing we didn't take Joe Burrow.....He, like Dan would not have had the success here that he had at LSU (UF). We don't have the players that LSU or UF has.  Dan wasn't setting the world on fire at Miss St

Matt would be interesting.  Similar situation as NU, BUT Iowa St is in the Big XII, has a familiar footprint/recruiting grounds etc...He has done a lot with a little.

I'd still take Frost.  But damn man, fix your scheme. You are not getting Florida speed at NU.  not with the rise of UF, Miami, UCF still doing well, Clemson, SEC etc.....We might steal 1 or 2 away, but we are not getting a whole team of those guys.  I'd rather under recruit and over develop than what we appear to be doing....I know, I know we have youth in the wings, but a large percentage of the programs that are winning are plug and play with some fresh.  Is our "system" (I jave no idea what it is) that hard?  Is it that we do not have an established system with senior leaders to coach on the field/practice.

Frost loves NU and Nebraska. We will never find a guy with more passion for this team.  He just needs to step back, re-evaluate and fix it....

Now if you want to take the way back machine to when Bo was fired.........

Most of the plug and play teams have an established and successful scheme with kids who have been in it for years and they are loaded with talent so it makes that easier. I think the scheme is ok Nebraska just has to execute it better and stop with the stinking mistakes and penalties. Nebraska has talent and if we can ever get things to click the team can take a huge jump. I just think that our senior/junior classes are still really weak and the fact they are consistenly the ones committing mistakes makes it worse. We're depending a lot on freshmen, sophomores and true juniors and hopefully we can work through growing pains and take a jump soon.

• Plus1 1

Frost is the guy you want because he understands and perhaps even thrives on the ridiculous expectations in Lincoln. He has the potential to be just as good as any college football coach in the country.

I think what happened is that he came in a bit overconfident after that 2017 UCF season, got punched in the mouth by physical B1G play in 2018, and then realized he had to retool what he thought he could just plug in system-wise here to be successful.

Strength & conditioning was a big one that you could tell he didn't quite understand had so far to go when he first got here. But his comments in the post-game presser after that Iowa game in 2018 showed that he finally realized he had to get his lines big & strong before anything good would happen. He'll continue figuring it out, but this season is another dumpster fire.

• Plus1 3

58 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The fact this thread exists is telling. You'd get laughed off an ISU or UF board if you asked if they'd prefer Frost over what they have. 

Sort of. Iowa State is a program though where expectations always have been and always will be low.

Now Florida is of course entirely different.

The disconnect is the lifelong NU fans that don't understand how why Osborne was so successful doesn't translate to today. It's really that simple. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Sort of. Iowa State is a program though where expectations always have been and always will be low.

Now Florida is of course entirely different.

The disconnect is the lifelong NU fans that don't understand how why Osborne was so successful doesn't translate to today. It's really that simple. 

That, and the difference in what was inherited. It took him 20 years to win another championship after taking over a team that had just gone back to back. He didn't have to build it from nothing, and as you say a lot of the differentiators he used just aren't there any more.

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well the point is you never get to know then what you know now, and if Nebraska had hired any coach other than Scott Frost we would spend every season convinced Scott Frost would have done better.

Also this. Impossible to say how he'd be doing elsewhere, or how we'd be doing with a different coach. 

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I definitely do 

To which part? Rankings tell the whole story or that our defense has noticeably improved over last year? 

I wouldn't get too caught up in rankings numbers yet. As one of our two games was against a top 5 team in the country and we looked much more stout up front this year compared to last year's embarrassment against them. We still have some breakdowns that I really hope the coaches figure out and clean up but overall, I think Chins and the defensive staff have improved quite a bit.

I really wish I could say the same for the offensive side.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Frost with a real defensive coordinator and an commitment to installing Tom Osborne's playbook.

Tom Osborne wouldn't install mid-90s Tom Osborne's playbook today. The game has changed, and we were already starting to incorporate some shotgun elements in '97. The Oregon offense Frost derived his playbook from is the closest thing to a modern version.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Tom Osborne wouldn't install mid-90s Tom Osborne's playbook today. The game has changed, and we were already starting to incorporate some shotgun elements in '97. The Oregon offense Frost derived his playbook from is the closest thing to a modern version.

I think Tom Osborne himself admitted defenses had caught up with his offense, and like the innovator he was he would have his own modern take if he was coaching today.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Frost is the guy you want because he understands and perhaps even thrives on the ridiculous expectations in Lincoln. He has the potential to be just as good as any college football coach in the country.

I think what happened is that he came in a bit overconfident after that 2017 UCF season, got punched in the mouth by physical B1G play in 2018, and then realized he had to retool what he thought he could just plug in system-wise here to be successful.

Strength & conditioning was a big one that you could tell he didn't quite understand had so far to go when he first got here. But his comments in the post-game presser after that Iowa game in 2018 showed that he finally realized he had to get his lines big & strong before anything good would happen. He'll continue figuring it out, but this season is another dumpster fire.

I agree with all of this. The other thing I’d add: he came in PISSED as a former player. Have heard this off the record too but you can just tell from some of his quotes in year 1 and things guys like Carriker and Benning have said. They felt the program had become soft and were disgusted by it, Frost included.

I think it was a good thing he wanted to completely revamp the culture but that he might have gone a touch overboard. Even just as simple as he used “they/them” in reference to a lot of the Riley players. I’m sure he wouldn’t have taken things so personal if he wasn’t a former player here. No big deal and I think he’s learned from it.

• Plus1 3